i7-4770
Graphics
GTX 980 Ti
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hello all,

So I have the typical SSD + HDD setup, with the OS in the SSD and the user's home folder in the HDD. Everything works fine, the only problem is that when the home folder is moved to the HDD, the user's Library folder is moved as well. As you may know, the Library folder is located inside the user's home folder, and contains all the settigs and preferences for that user, this means that when you are using your mac, the OS is constatly accessig that Library folder, and if this folder is in the HDD, it slows down the whole thing.

So I copied the user's Library folder back to the SSD using the ditto command (ditto -V source destination), then created a symbolic link from were the folder used to be, pointed to the one just copied in the SSD (ln -s target-path Library).

I've done this before and it works flawlessly, the difference in speed is 100% noticeable, the HDD doesn't even spit at times, I mean, I actually recommend this setup, however in Maveriks when I do this, the moved Library folder permissions get all messed up, after lots of research I've concluded that is an ACL permission issue, which I tried reaparing booting up from install drive, then utilities, then terminal, then entered passwordreset, then select partition and user and click on repair, but this doesn't work for me probably because the Library folder is a symbolic link.

So here is the question: how can I repair ACL permissions in the actual Library folder instead the symbolic link?

I found this command that resets permissions for the entire home folder, but still no luck, I'm still getting permission error messages in the console and the system is not keeping my preferences:

{ sudo chflags -R -L nouchg,nouappnd ~ $TMPDIR.. ; sudo chown -R -L $UID:staff ~ $_ ; sudo chmod -R -L u+rwX ~ $_ ; chmod -R -N ~ $_ ; } 2> /dev/null

I found this command here, I just added the -L flag so it follows symlinks.

Anyone has additional feedback?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back