Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Asus Rog Strix Z370-F Gaming
CPU
Intel i7 8700K
Graphics
Sapphire Radeon RX 580 8GB Pulse
Hi,

I recently swapped my GPU from a GTX1050 to a Sapphire Radeon RX580 Pulse 8GB, and now it refuses to render H.264 video in Adobe Media Encoder, After Effects and Premiere Pro. When I try to render H.264 my entire system freezes, and I have to reboot. This happens on OpenCL, Metal and the Software Only setting in Media Encoder. Although a bit slow, this was no problem when I had the GTX1050.

Quicktime seems to render fine, although a lot faster choosing Mercury Playback Engine Software Only. I am guessing that hardware acceleration isn't working at all? I am not noticing any better performance in After Effects now than with the GTX1050, and I don't think I ever used hardware acceleration with that card.

Everything else in my system has been working like a charm, running huge projects in Pro Tools, Ableton Live, and no issues running OBS, Minecraft or any Adobe Software. Everything seems unchanged after switching to the RX580, rendering H.264 is the only issue i have noticed so far.

Does anyone know if there is a way to fix this?

Running 10.13.6 High Sierra.

Last edited:
UPDATE: Now rendering H.264 and all other formats work, after installing the newest version of Whatevergreen, Lilu and FakePCIID kexts, as well as changing the SMBIOS to iMac19,1 (only changed Product Name, Bios Version and Board-ID).

Still no hardware acceleration though. My RX580 is recognised correctly in About This Mac.

One of my monitors also goes to static after booting, which requires me to turn it on and of two times before it starts working. I had this problem before after sleep, but never after boot. Both my monitors run on HDMI-DVI cables.

UPDATE: Now rendering H.264 and all other formats work, after installing the newest version of Whatevergreen, Lilu and FakePCIID kexts, as well as changing the SMBIOS to iMac19,1 (only changed Product Name, Bios Version and Board-ID).

Still no hardware acceleration though. My RX580 is recognised correctly in About This Mac.

One of my monitors also goes to static after booting, which requires me to turn it on and of two times before it starts working. I had this problem before after sleep, but never after boot. Both my monitors run on HDMI-DVI cables.

Do you think changing the SMBIOS was necessary? or just updating the kexts... Thanks I need to render and just updated from Nvidia to RX580 as well and having the same issues!

Hi,
Rendering H.264 did not work before I changed the SMBIOS, but I am not really sure why.
I think I will try to do a complete reinstall, and see if I can get hardware acceleration when starting from scratch.
I'll post an update here if I make it work!

Hi,
Rendering H.264 did not work before I changed the SMBIOS, but I am not really sure why.
I think I will try to do a complete reinstall, and see if I can get hardware acceleration when starting from scratch.
I'll post an update here if I make it work!

Awesome, thanks I appreciate it, Ive always just used the "iMac (27-inch, Late 2013)" SMBIOS and have had no issues, but now when I go to render videos my Adobe encoder just crashes my entire computer, ever since switching to the RX580. I may have to try changing to imace19,1 today or tomorrow cause I need to render for work. Or I can puttee Nvidia back in for now, I swapped it out so I could update from high Sierra, but haven't updated yet so I could swap back to my 1060

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back