3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Classic
  2. iBook
  3. iMac
  4. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hello everyone, i'm losing my mind trying to remove this darn top shelf.

I've taken out every screw that I've seen others online do, but it just won't budge.

Pictures below, what am I missing?!

Anything help

IMG_8623.jpeg
IMG_8624.jpeg
IMG_8625.jpeg
IMG_8626.jpeg
IMG_8627.jpeg
IMG_8628.jpeg
IMG_8629.jpeg

Thank you!!

All those screws you still see on the bottom of the tray you need to remove. The tray comes in two halves, and they seperate like a big sandwich. And the big arm that slides back and forth that locks the door to the case also needs to come out as well. I can’t quite remember how to get that out but I think it tilts out you get the latch lever out of the way.

I too lost my mind taking out this shelf. You need to remove the long metal piece that slides back and forth with the locking mechanism.

I found out the hard way that brute force wasn't the answer. Got the top shelf out but snapped the long piece for the locking mechanism clean in half in the process, hopefully some epoxy or gorilla glue should fix that.

EDIT: just also noticed the message in my "CPU/Mobo/GPU" section, and it made me chuckle. The system is completely irrelevant for my question, if it ever is ill take the time to add it. What a preposterous rule.

I am in the same situation - actually worse as I can't figure how to remove the latches and don't want to use brute force, on the blighter; although an assault with a coal chisel is becoming increasingly appealing. Won't do much for the case but it will improve my mood. Photo attached. Any clues very welcome.

Attachments

• mac pro shelf.jpg
    mac pro shelf.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 503
Actually - I've got the clips off now - but still can't suss how to get the thing apart. do you have to remove the latch on the back altogether?

And finally it has come off - so to get the clips off insert a very fine flat blade screwdriver and lever gently. To the the locking mechanism out you kind of twist it away from the catch end, wiggle and just before you think it's too much pressure it popped out. Thank for all the good stuff on this page - it spurred me on.

....and here is a photo after the event which shows the clips. followed by 30 minutes sodding around to get the little circlip back on. Am I the only one who thinks the case mechanism is a little bit too clever for its own good.
Anyway done now; so I can on with the actual job of fitting an ATX board into the thing.

Attachments

• mac pro after shelf removed.jpg
    mac pro after shelf removed.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 395
....and here is a photo after the event which shows the clips. followed by 30 minutes sodding around to get the little circlip back on. Am I the only one who thinks the case mechanism is a little bit too clever for its own good.
Anyway done now; so I can on with the actual job of fitting an ATX board into the thing.
Glad you were able to get it out, and didn’t make the same mistake I did. Good luck with the rest of your project and thank you for posting here for the future reference of others!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back