Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. iBook
  2. iMac
  3. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I've seen online that it's possible to remove the stock mobo standoffs without the use of a dremmel (or any blade) but just with pliers, drill and/or a hammer. Has anybody here done this? If so, could you explain how it's done. This is currently the biggest roadblock in my mod/hack.

EDIT: Or do I even need to take out the standoffs? The mATX board has holes in completely different spots, so I could just put those in, and leave the old ones in.

I would go ahead and remove the standoffs just to reduce the risk of short circuiting your motherboard. But yes, it is relatively easy to use a drill to remove the standoffs. Just drill from the other side of the case where the standoffs are with a drill bit that is slightly larger than the standoff. Once you've drilled the hole you can patch it using JB Weld or a similar epoxy.

Thanks. I got thinking about the worst that could happen if I left them in. If they made contact with the solder points on the board, it could short it. Hypothetically I could put rubber pads on the posts, but I think I'll just drill them out tonight. I'm assuming a standard drill bit will do it?

but you have to cut more than this (ram,ports) so i think you need a dremmel or if not it makes it much easier.

You can use a hacksaw but you need a Dremel to get into certain areas so its definitely worth a buy. OP, if you have a target near you you can buy a Black and Decker RTX rotary tool that's better than a Dremel for $35.

You can use a hacksaw but you need a Dremel to get into certain areas so its definitely worth a buy. OP, if you have a target near you you can buy a Black and Decker RTX rotary tool that's better than a Dremel for $35.

I second this recommendation, I bought a RTX and have been very happy with it's performance Vs. the cost of a similar type Dremel

I just ripped my G4 Quicksilver's standoffs out using a locking pliers, they are press fit into the case so it will leave am octagonal hole slightly larger than the standondoff itself. Then I mounted my board by marking the holes and drilling and tapping 6-32 holes in the case and using 6-32 screws as studs, nylon spacers as standoffs, and securing the board with 6-32 nuts. As I recall one of the micro atx holes lined up pretty closely with one of the large holes created by the old standoff holes so I needed to use a washer to keep the screw in place.

After struggling with the first few, I found a technique that worked well. I used a small bit to drill through the screw holes, and then using that hole as a centre, I used a larger bit on the other side. I can't remember off the top of my head the size of the bits.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back