Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte z490 vison D
CPU
i9-10850K
Graphics
UHD 630
Hey guys,
Ive been searching around here for hours trying to find a solution to this.
Basically, I was having problems with kernal panics upon downloading t*****ts.
I read that the Realtek kext in multibeast was most likely the problem, I couldn't figure out how to remove the old kext, but read that Lnx2Mac's kext would take priority over it so it didn't really matter. I installed this kext via multibeast and still had the same problem. Finally I located the old Realtek kext in IONetworking.kext/Content/Plugin and deleted it. After this I decided to run multibeast again reinstalling Lnx2mac's kext assuming it would just overwrite the previous kext and and also repair the persmissions. However upon restarting I am stuck at the apple logo, can't boot in safe mode either.

Am I mistaken about there being a way to boot from the USB drive?
When I try this it just takes me to the installer screen and asks where I want to install Mountain Lion. If i could somehow boot into the system and fix that kext or permission, I am hoping it would fix the booting problem. Any advice is appreciated, I would rather avoid a fresh install if there are any solutions.

here is the mobo if that matters at all: GA x58a-ud3r rev2
Thanks for reading!

Last edited by a moderator:
Realtek installs AppleRTL8169Ethernet.kext in /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns.

Lnx2Mac's enables Realtek 81xx Ethernet controllers by launching Lnx2Mac's Installer which installs RealtekRTL81xx.kext in /System/Library/Extensions.

This info is also in MultiBeast. You should be able to boot from your UniBeast usb.

I did figure that much out from the MultiBeast pdf, however i just didn't know how to open the IONetworkin.kext file at first.

When I insert the USB i get the option to boot from the USB or Mountain Lion drive.
Upon selecting USB, I am taken directly to the OSX installation utility, and my only option is installing over my Mountain lion drive.
Wouldn't that erase everything?

No it will not. Just make sure that you select your start up disk at chimera boot loader. If you choose the usb at the Chimera boot loader, that will take you to the installer.

I was able to get in to safe mode by using -v -x (Verbose, Safe Mode). Before I mess anything else up, what is the best way to go about finding and repairing whatever it is that is causing the trouble?
I appreciate your help! :]

I would check the trash and put everything back if its still there. If not, I would try opening Disk Utility and repairing the disk.

Hmm,

Well I put back the realtek.kext, however to no avail.
Maybe it is possible i accidently installed another kext the last time I used multibeast. Is there a way to check what is installed that possibly shouldn't be?

check these and delete which one you do not want.

Realtek installs AppleRTL8169Ethernet.kext in /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns.

Lnx2Mac's enables Realtek 81xx Ethernet controllers by launching Lnx2Mac's Installer which installs RealtekRTL81xx.kext in /System/Library/Extensions.

Just move it to the trash? Isn't that what I did originally?

I removed the other one from IONetworkingfamily.kext/contents/plugins
Anything I should do before restart? Repair permissions with kext utility?

Yes I would try that and run Disc Utility and repair disk as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back