Contribute
Register

Remove Clover OS X Boot

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just had this exact boot problem. I was trying to get sound working on a Tosemite upgrade and found Clover kext that purported to solve the problem after searching here and finding nothing definitive. Well, the script needed Clover to install so I installed Clover. Didn't know what I was doing. Boy was that a mistake. Clover started freezing at the startup boot sceen. Almost couldn't boot into any other install but I did and, following a direction I found, moved the EFI folder to the trash. Next start up I got a text screen with choices for booting but could never continue to boot. So, couldn't boot to any drive including mu Unibeast USB stick.

I unplugged my main drive, SSD, were I had installed Clover. Now the Chimera boot screen came up but only boot option was my USB stick. For some reason none of my Unibeast sticks seem to have a working operating system on them just an OS install. So now I have plug another USB stick in and am trying to get a working USB start up system but Chimera isn't recognizing it, and it's not recognizing my Carbon Cloner back up with Mavericks on it (previously bootable and showing in Startup Disk selection exiting from the Yosemite installer on the Unibeast stick.) Only boot disk showing up is the Unibeast installer. May need to buy a Windows disk somewhere. Will up date this as I go.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    602.7 KB · Views: 590
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    618.8 KB · Views: 716
With my backup Mavericks HDD selected exiting the Yosemite installer on my USB Unibeast, the only thing showing up in my Chimera boot screen, I get a panic:

pani(cpu 2 caller 0xffffff800036fcc8):

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    529.6 KB · Views: 209
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    544.9 KB · Views: 263
Wasn't paying attention and bought Windows 8.1. No disk tools. Still can't load a Mac OS. Any expert feel free to jump in here anytime.

This has to do with the way Clover writes to your UEFI/EFI bios upon installation.

It WRITES code into your bios.

In some cases (looks like your's also, I know it was mine), you have to erase the Clover code in BIOS by REFLASHING your bios with the default one.

In other words: REFLASHING your bios WILL remove Clover.

Ritey ..

My motherboard reported that its BIOS was corrupt and reinstalled from its own backup. However, nothing changed except the version number. It's F2 instead of F4. So if that was re flashing the BIOS it didn't help.

I also bought Windows 7 and deleted all the EFI partitions on my installed disks but I still have the Circle of Death screen pictured in post above where I hit Enter on Continue and it brings me back to the same boot screen. I have also twice gotten a BIOS Failed to Boot warning suggesting possible bad BIOS settings. I'm running pretty close to Default. One of those EFI partitions was on my Time Machine backup drive so I hope there was nothing important in its EFI partition.

When I put the EFI file in my boot drive in the trash I noticed a Backup EFI folder which I left in place. I also didn't empty the trash. So, my next thought is to boot into a Yosemite installer and write a backup over my primary startup disk. Since the primary startup defaults into the Circle of Death I will attempt to hot plug it after I get a Yosemite installer boot. The first few attempts to boot had a error screen that said there wasn't a boot device attached. After trying my different sticks and external HDD I just plugged them all in and surprise! I had three boot options. The one I chose, which I thought would be an install only boot gave me a working Yosemite OS. Curiously the three recognized drives were attached through my case USB ports as I had been exclusively using the motherboard ports in back. The hot plugged primary boot drive didn't show in the finder. Opened Disk Utility. It wasn't there. But all other internal and external devices showed up. Hope I didn't fry it. Gotta figure out how to mount it so I can try erasing that EFI bacup file.

So I'm running running Disk Utility on my Carbon Cloner backup internal HDD and a red warning says :

Error: this disk doesn't contain an EFI partition. If you want to start your computer with this disk, back up your data and partition this disk.

Sigh.

checking disk list my hot plugged SSD doesn't show up so I'm just hoping its not completely fried, but given it would need to be reformatted to get an EFI partition on it it doesn't matter too much. Next I will start backing up my Carbon Cloner backup disk (missing an EFI partition) to my external HDD while I sleep.

My motherboard reported that its BIOS was corrupt and reinstalled from its own backup. However, nothing changed except the version number. It's F2 instead of F4. So if that was re flashing the BIOS it didn't help.

-------------------------------------------------------------

What motherboard do you have and do you know the revision number also?

Also, do you have another system where you can connect the hard drive to and format it on another system (either OSx or Win7)?

It sounds like a combination of things may be going on at the same time (a bios that needs to be updated to latest available version, and a hard drive with Clover as the boot sector that needs to be erased).

Once you reflash the bios, your hard disk (UEFI/EFI) settings should correspond with the operating system you are trying to install. EFI works with both OSx and Windows if you want a dual boot off the same hard drive.

Ritey ..

Hi everyone, I accidentally installed Clover on my main boot SSD. Now whenever I boot my computer the clover boot menu comes up and my main SSD no longer boots. Just a black screen that says This version of Mac OSX is not compatible or something. And then a reason code. Please if anyone can help me I will be greatly appreciative.

I just did the same thing and I am sick about it. I was clicking too fast on the "continue, continue, continues" and it installed Clover on my primary Hackintosh SSD boot drive with Mountian Lion. The odd thing is that I can no longer boot from ANY drive. I have actually disconnected ALL of my drives and then tried them all separately and still cannot get anywhere. It's as if this Clover has gotten into my bios. Is this what's happening here? I am dead in the water until I can figure this out. When I do get into Clover on startup and try to get through it or beyond it there is no way for me to get into my desktop. The few "solutions" that I have come across to remove Clover are just too complicated for my skill set (or lack there of). Please help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back