Contribute
Register

Remove black heat sink?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013)
CPU
2.3 GHz Intel Quad Core i7
Graphics
NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hey Guys!

Does anyone know if there is anyway to remove the giant black heat sink (that is stuck in between the 2 handles) without cutting it off?

Thanks!

Hey Guys!

Does anyone know if there is anyway to remove the giant black heat sink (that is stuck in between the 2 handles) without cutting it off?

Thanks!

Only thing to do (if you don't want to use it but do want to keep the handle mechanism) is to cut it off to just leave the two handle supports on either side.

I unsure just what you are asking. If you disassemble the right and left slides you will come up with the machined heat sink piece as shown here.

15260d1410991622t-new-player-low-profile-intel-dh61ag-mini-itx-g4-cube-1c-heat-sink-before-cutting.jpg

Then I sliced the heat sink into the pieces show here.

15259d1410991622t-new-player-low-profile-intel-dh61ag-mini-itx-g4-cube-1d-heat-sink-after-cutting.jpg

And after cleaning up the cuts with a smooth file, I reassembled the left and right heat sink pieces to the slide assemblies as seen here.

15258d1410991622t-new-player-low-profile-intel-dh61ag-mini-itx-g4-cube-1e-left-right-slides.jpg

Good modding,
neil

Last edited by a moderator:
I unsure just what you are asking. If you disassemble the right and left slides you will come up with the machined heat sink piece as shown here.

15260d1410991622t-new-player-low-profile-intel-dh61ag-mini-itx-g4-cube-1c-heat-sink-before-cutting.jpg

Then I sliced the heat sink into the pieces show here.

15259d1410991622t-new-player-low-profile-intel-dh61ag-mini-itx-g4-cube-1d-heat-sink-after-cutting.jpg

And after cleaning up the cuts with a smooth file, I reassembled the left and right heat sink pieces to the slide assemblies as seen here.

15258d1410991622t-new-player-low-profile-intel-dh61ag-mini-itx-g4-cube-1e-left-right-slides.jpg

Good modding,
neil
Neil, I can't see the pictures and I am about to dismantle the heat sink in mine. Repost?

Neil, I can't see the pictures and I am about to dismantle the heat sink in mine. Repost?

Humm... not sure why those images are not showing up.

Anyway assume that you have the cube partially disassembled, Bottom plate, handle and heat-sink assembly.

Along each stainless steel side rail side are two hole to access the two screws per side that secure the grey handle. Remove these screws, two from each side. Bag and tag. Note on one side the screws are shoulder screws.

You can remove and set the grey handle aside.

Then free the heat sink and rail assembly by removing one screw each side from at the bottom frame and side rail.

HS1.jpg

The side rails covers can be removed from the heat-sink with diss-assembly of 4 screws each side to remove the stainless steel covers.

This then gives you access to two screws each side to free the spring rack from the heat sink.

Cut the heat sink... best method depends up on your tools.

HS2.jpg

Save the two heat-sink side rails and reassemble in reverse order...

This is all from memory, I hope that you can follow it.

Good modding,
neil

Thanks! Breaking out the band saw on my day off!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back