Contribute
Register

Reminder: NVIDIA GeForce 6xx/7xx Kepler Cards work with GraphicsEnabler=No

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello!

First of all thank you! I have my first (almost) fully working hackintosh thanks to this website! You guys really rock!

My build was the current "Custom Mac Pro" listed in Decembers buying guide:

Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD7-TH
Core i7-4790K
EVGA GeForce GTX 760
Crucial Ballistix Tactical (32GB)

Everything worked almost flawlessly, it took me a whole night but i finally booted into 10.10.1 with multibeast.

So, my question: can both graphics cards (the GTX 670 and the 4600HD on the mobo) work at the same time?

After enabling the internal graphics in the bios and setting GraphicsEnabler=no, the internal 4600HD is recognised in my system report and it appears to have the right amount of memory (I'm not by my build so i can't be sure if it's exactly right). However when i plug in my screen using the hdmi port on the mobo all I get is a very corrupted image. Basically nothing except my cursor and a hint of the menu bar.

Do you have any ideas? Also i'm sorry if this has already been asked but I've been looking for a while now and couldn't find an answer.

(On a side note, I know there is another thread dedicated to thunderbolt but does anyone have a working thunderbolt without having done the: install windows, load the drivers and then it works thing? )

Thanks!

JStamatio

Clearly some people like yourself are experiencing issues on cards that have been working without issue previously. Yosemite installations are in early days and there are some issues that need addressed. You GTX760 should be working fine - I understand that it is not.

Someone has found a solution to NVIDIA graphics and Yosemite that worked for them. If you wish to find out more then read this thread here:
http://www.tonymacx86.com/yosemite-desktop-support/146508-10-10-gt640-troubles-solution.html

This might not work for you, but if it does then it saves you changing your GPU.

I have an evga gt640 2gb ddr3 (specifically this one http://www.evga.com/Products/Product.aspx?pn=02G-P4-2643-KR ), and i have been looking for a way to make it work but it seems that i don't have access to see that post :/

What version of OS X are you using and which bootloader? Which port or ports on the GPU have you tried?

currently i'm using 10.10.1, chimera bootloader 4, GA-h87m-d3h MB, i found a method that replaced the nvidia kexts with the ones from DP1 version (it took quite a while to make it work with that), the gpu is on the pcie 16x slot. I also downloaded the cuda drivers (don't know if they are actually necessary) but so far, it's been working.

The only "issue" i find is that on youtube, video starts grainy or doesn't show at all (only audio), sometimes freezes, but if i switch to the HTML5 player, video plays fine (only at 360p, but it plays).

Now, since there's the 10.10.2 update, i don't know if what i've done so far will continue to work, or if the info in the post i can't log in to has the same procedure i've already used (or if there is another alternative in there).

On a curious note, i have an Asus GT610 Silent on an i5 3570k - GA-Z77-D3H rev 1.0, running 10.10.1, no drivers downloaded/replaced, and did not have any problems with video whatsoever.

I am thinking between getting a gtx750 or a gtx760 "just to avoid" these issues, but it seems that with Apple you never know.

currently i'm using 10.10.1, chimera bootloader 4, GA-h87m-d3h MB, i found a method that replaced the nvidia kexts with the ones from DP1 version (it took quite a while to make it work with that), the gpu is on the pcie 16x slot. I also downloaded the cuda drivers (don't know if they are actually necessary) but so far, it's been working.

It would be interesting to know if you had a spare drive to create a fresh installation, how the GT640 behaved with the OS X drivers.

The only "issue" i find is that on youtube, video starts grainy or doesn't show at all (only audio), sometimes freezes, but if i switch to the HTML5 player, video plays fine (only at 360p, but it plays).

GT640 drivers are not working correctly or this would not be an issue at all.

Now, since there's the 10.10.2 update, i don't know if what i've done so far will continue to work, or if the info in the post i can't log in to has the same procedure i've already used (or if there is another alternative in there).

Hard to say for certain - there have been others with similar issues on GT640 and some cards similar to 670/770 - why this is happening in small isolated cases is not clear.

On a curious note, i have an Asus GT610 Silent on an i5 3570k - GA-Z77-D3H rev 1.0, running 10.10.1, no drivers downloaded/replaced, and did not have any problems with video whatsoever.

I have seen people with issues on GT610 & GT630 as well. Again only a small handful.

I am thinking between getting a gtx750 or a gtx760 "just to avoid" these issues, but it seems that with Apple you never know.

GTX750 does not have native support. If problems continue then a replacement card may be the best solution. Your choice will be driven by the graphics requirements that you need day to day. A budget GT610 or similar may suffice. If you want something better then I would consider the GT740 (DDR5 & twin slot version) a reasonable card at present looking at a balance between native support/performance/price. Anything above this is either getting hard to source or needs additional drivers.

Hey guys, can anyone help me out?

I've just upgraded my first hackintosh I built in 2013 (GA-B75M-HD3) with a new NVIDIA GT730 2048MB DDR3
I hooked it up with the machine running 10.8.5 and it worked out of the box FullHd via DVI, although it was recognized as "Unknown Graphics 1024mb" in About this Mac , and NVIDIA Chipset recognized under System Profiler.

I updgraded to Yosemite using a guide here described and set my smbios to Macpro5,1 and added GraphicsEnabler=Yes to chameleon bootlist so it would boot into Yosemite. The GPU works fine, recognized still as "Unknown Graphics 1024mb", transparencies work and all. Overall is very fast, I can open Final Cut and work with it and internet video is really fast, I can open 10 simultaneous youtube tabs.

But i still wanted the hackintosh to recognize the card properly (and wouldn't boot with GraphicsEnabler=No) so I changed the smbios to MacPro 6,1 and GraphicsEnabler=No and voilá, now it boots with ge=no, and the card is now recognized as: NVIDIA Chip Model 128MB

I must say the Internal HD4000 is disabled from BIOS.

NVIDIA Web Drivers haven't worked so far. It won't boot if i try them.

What could I be missing?

Thanks!

Captura de pantalla 2015-03-26 a las 18.29.55.png

Last edited:
I had a working Hackintosh running with HD4600 as my profile. I recently plugged in a GTX 670 which should work OOB. I disabled the onboard HD4600 and tried to but to no avail except in safe mode. I've always had GraphicsEnabler=No. Anyone can advice how to proceed?

It always stops at some Bluetooth Transport failure which isn't the true error I guess as the system boots fine without the GTX670.

In a rare occurrence, sometimes I can boot with -v -f GraphicsEnabler=No npci=0x2000 random chances though.

I have a NVIDIA GTX 660 Ti 2GB card installed in my Hackintosh. Whenever I try to start up my Mac partition though, it hangs at a white screen with the spinning gear. Here are my specs:

• Gigabyte Z87-D3HP
  • Intel i7-4770K
  • Intel Integrated HD 4600 Graphics
  • NVIDIA GTX 660 Ti 2GB
  • 16 GB memory

I've tried using GraphicsEnabler=No but that didn't help any.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Have you gotten any solution? My situation is the same as you, do a -v to see what's going on. Have you booted before the installation of the GTX 660?

I just upgraded to FCPX 10.2 and OSX 10.10.3. Everything is work fine with the exception of one major thing. The magic bullet looks plugin DOES NOT work anymore. I am given a solid screen rather than seeing the video play. The issue is with the graphics card, there support obviously said that they couldn't guarantee that it would work but there is an option within the software that allows me to choose my rendering option. Rendering with CPU works correctly (albeit slowly...ununsable) and GPU (OpenGL) does NOT work (attached). I thought that maybe OpenGL was not working but I just confirmed that it was using GPUtest (stats attached).

FCPX is my main editing suite. The system is really flying and is more stable then ever before. I just need to get over this last hump and I should again be good to go for the next year.

GTX670
gigabyte X79 UD3
32 GB RAM
SSD for OS
RAID array for media

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2015-04-16 12.32.07.jpg
    Screenshot 2015-04-16 12.32.07.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 220
  • Screenshot 2015-04-16 12.30.10.jpg
    Screenshot 2015-04-16 12.30.10.jpg