Graphics
Radeon HD 4670
Mac
  1. iMac
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
I work for a small non-profit and we're planning on buying a new Black Magic camera soon for our video productions.
Right now, our video editor is running an old Mac Pro, and this camera needs thunderbolt, so my boss had me research Hackintoshes that are thunderbolt capable and will do smooth editing.

I came up with a list (below,) based off the build guide, but he's worried that it won't be reliable enough and is probably just going to get a new 27" iMac after the next upgrade. I asked a friend with some experience with Hackintoshes and said to never use a hack for any business use, the amount of time fixing it will outweigh the time using it enough to make the up-front cost not worth it.

I'm a little biased, since I'd really like this project, but I'd like to know objectively if this is still the case or if they've become reliable enough to make it worth it?
(Another part of the problem is I won't be the one using it, just diagnosing it, so it means if the computer goes down, that means I'm spending my time fixing it and the vid editor is wasting is time waiting for it.)

Thanks!

My prospective build:

Mobo: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UP5-TH
CPU: i7-2700k
GPU: GTX 660ti
PSU: Corsair CMPSU 650 HX
RAM: 32G (4x8G) corsair vengeance 1600
Cooler master hyper 212 plus cpu fan.

I think the lack of positive replies is an answer in itself. While very solid for most situations, i wouldn't want to blame a hack for a business problem.
0_o?

Anyway, there are some inherent things that you have to watch out for with hackintoshes. Specifically when it comes to updating OS's, or even updates within your current OS. I wouldn't hesitate getting a hackintosh for a business as long as you are the one doing all system updates so you know what to expect. There will be times when it will have kernel panics or issues when updating, but there are ways to keep a system 100% stable -- Use a separate drive and clone your boot drive to it and then do the update on that drive so if something happens it won't crash the main rig. If there is a problem, I'm sure there are 10429013488927 people who are having a similar problem on the forum. Look it up and fix it. The only situation I would not recommend it is if you were give it to someone who has no idea about computers and there will no one there to manage it. In this case problems will occur and it simply won't work. Businesses generally have "tech support," which is you I believe, so problem solved. The key to a successful hack is RESEARCH.

0_o?

Anyway, there are some inherent things that you have to watch out for with hackintoshes. Specifically when it comes to updating OS's, or even updates within your current OS. I wouldn't hesitate getting a hackintosh for a business as long as you are the one doing all system updates so you know what to expect. There will be times when it will have kernel panics or issues when updating, but there are ways to keep a system 100% stable -- Use a separate drive and clone your boot drive to it and then do the update on that drive so if something happens it won't crash the main rig. If there is a problem, I'm sure there are 10429013488927 people who are having a similar problem on the forum. Look it up and fix it. The only situation I would not recommend it is if you were give it to someone who has no idea about computers and there will no one there to manage it. In this case problems will occur and it simply won't work. Businesses generally have "tech support," which is you I believe, so problem solved. The key to a successful hack is RESEARCH.

I changed my mind. By all means do it! And get back to us with the results.

You wanna do video production ? Get a 27" iMac
You like to play with hardware and software ? Build a Hack

You wanna do video production ? Get a 27" iMac
You like to play with hardware and software ? Build a Hack

not quite true!
i have a client who has not one but two 27" imac and one mac book pro for video production and his two imac are constantly crashing ( over heating problem) and spend more time at apple store fixing them than using it. the last go around he had shell out $800 to fix one of them.
his mac book pro runs solid!
i am trying to get him to try a hackintosh

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back