Contribute
Register

[Release] Hackintool v3.x.x

Just to be sure I tested on all 3 of my machines and it appears to be working for me. 3 mins does seem excessive though.

I'll try it on my desktop system and report back ...

Cheers
Jay

Can you run Hackintool from Terminal and see if any error shows when you do a rebuild?

@headkaze,

Nothing unusual reported in terminal after being left for 10 mins in unresponsive state :-

Screenshot 2019-05-09 at 00.12.21.png

Cheers
Jay

@headkaze,

Just ran Rebuild KextCache and Repair Permissions with Hackintool V2.4.5 on my desktop ..
Process went to 100% CPU in Activity Monitor, and completed in around 42 seconds ...

So it looks like it does not like my laptop hack ?

Not sure why though ... every other feature of Hackingtool V 2.4.5 works fine, and Kext Utility rebuilds the KextCache and Repairs Permissions with out any problems ..

the laptop is my daily driver and gets used all the time and is 100% stable .... so pretty sure that there isn't any thing wrong with the MacOS install.

Getting late now here in the UK so will try and do some more testing tomorrow to see if i can figure out whats going on.

Cheers
Jay

Getting late now here in the UK so will try and do some more testing tomorrow to see if i can figure out whats going on.
Yeah I've just noticed a few times it hanging. It's the new code I've implemented to grab the stderr stream. Can you try v2.4.6 tomorrow and see if it improves things. I've also moved it to the tools section and added a progress bar so there should be no :beachball:

Hackintool v2.4.6
- "Rebuild KextCache and Repair Permissions" moved to tools section now has progress bar

Yeah I've just noticed a few times it hanging. It's the new code I've implemented to grab the stderr stream. Can you try v2.4.6 tomorrow and see if it improves things. I've also moved it to the tools section and added a progress bar

@headkaze,

Updated to V 2.4.6 ... approve of moving the kext features/icons to the tools page and the new progress bar.

However hackingtool is still not happy on my laptop hack, after clicking on "Rebuild KextCache and Repair Permissions" and entering system password, the tool output window shows a list of kexts in /L/E, the progress bar gets to around 50% and goes no further and Hackingtool goes into a hung state :-

Screenshot 2019-05-09 at 14.17.32.png

I left it for around 10mins, before force quitting, however it should be noted that there was no beach ball and Activity Monitor showed that Hackingtool was still getting CPU cycles so no "Not Responding" status.

As i said in one of my previous posts, Kext Utility runs just fine ... so i tried running :-

Code:
sudo kextcache -i /

From terminal, the command completed ok but i noticed an issue with VoodooI2C :-

VoodooI2C-Bad-Sig.png

As you can see from the above screen grab there appears to be an issue with the signatures for the VoodooI2C kexts even though the kexts where correctly installed are loaded ok by MacOS ... the touchscreen and stylus are working just fine.
Screenshot 2019-05-09 at 15.58.29.png
I suspect that the error may be caused by "Obtained From" being "Unknown" but I'm no expert at code signing so it maybe due to something else ...

To test if the bad signatures where the cause of Hackingtool's lockup I deleted the VoodooI2C kexts, ran Hackingtool -> "Rebuild KextCache and Repair Permissions" and this time it completed, I then re-installed the VoodooI2C kexts and ran Hackingtool -> "Rebuild KextCache and Repair Permissions" one more time and it went back to not completing (progress bar stopped at 50%) and the app frozen.

So it seems that Hackingtool can not deal with the following error(s) generated by "sudo kextcache -i /" :-

Code:
Invalid signature -67050 for kext <OSKext 0x7fc4aa198020 [0x7fffa22b98f0]> { URL = "VoodooI2CHID.kext/ -- file:///Library/Extensions/", ID = "com.alexandred.VoodooI2CHID" }
Invalid signature -67050 for kext <OSKext 0x7fc4aa1c6ff0 [0x7fffa22b98f0]> { URL = "VoodooI2CServices.kext/ -- file:///Library/Extensions/VoodooI2C.kext/Contents/PlugIns/", ID = "com.alexandred.VoodooI2CServices" }
Invalid signature -67050 for kext <OSKext 0x7fc4aa1a07c0 [0x7fffa22b98f0]> { URL = "VoodooGPIO.kext/ -- file:///Library/Extensions/VoodooI2C.kext/Contents/PlugIns/", ID = "org.coolstar.VoodooGPIO" }
Invalid signature -67050 for kext <OSKext 0x7fc4aa18f8c0 [0x7fffa22b98f0]> { URL = "VoodooI2C.kext/ -- file:///Library/Extensions/", ID = "com.alexandred.VoodooI2C" }

But this seems odd as running it from terminal is no problem as can be seen in the second screen grab in this post, unless your using some other command to rebuild the kext cache ?

I currently have BooterConfig = 0x28 and CsrActiveConfig = 0x67 in my config.plist which works fine for all other 3rd party kexts. I've reported the signature issue to the developer of VoodooI2C but this is clearly a condition that can occur during kext cache re-building and should not cause Hackingtool to freeze.

I guess if you want to test it for yourself you could install the kexts even if you don't have a I2C device on your dev system, it should not matter as the issue only happens when re-building the kext cache.

Download the latest version of VoodooI2C from :-

Unzip and install VoodooIC2.kext and VooDooI2CHID.kext in /L/E

Let me know if you need any other debug or tests running ...

Cheers
Jay

Last edited:
Code:
Invalid signature -67050 for kext <OSKext 0x7fc4aa198020 [0x7fffa22b98f0]> { URL = "VoodooI2CHID.kext/ -- file:///Library/Extensions/", ID = "com.alexandred.VoodooI2CHID" }
Invalid signature -67050 for kext <OSKext 0x7fc4aa1c6ff0 [0x7fffa22b98f0]> { URL = "VoodooI2CServices.kext/ -- file:///Library/Extensions/VoodooI2C.kext/Contents/PlugIns/", ID = "com.alexandred.VoodooI2CServices" }
Invalid signature -67050 for kext <OSKext 0x7fc4aa1a07c0 [0x7fffa22b98f0]> { URL = "VoodooGPIO.kext/ -- file:///Library/Extensions/VoodooI2C.kext/Contents/PlugIns/", ID = "org.coolstar.VoodooGPIO" }
Invalid signature -67050 for kext <OSKext 0x7fc4aa18f8c0 [0x7fffa22b98f0]> { URL = "VoodooI2C.kext/ -- file:///Library/Extensions/", ID = "com.alexandred.VoodooI2C" }
These errors are perfectly normal and indicate 3rd party kexts you've installed.

But this seems odd as running it from terminal is no problem as can be seen in the second screen grab in this post, unless your using some other command to rebuild the kext cache ?

Yes I run the folllowing commands:
Code:
chown -v -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions
touch /System/Library/Extensions
chmod -v -R 755 /Library/Extensions
chown -v -R root:wheel /Library/Extensions
touch /Library/Extensions
kextcache -i /
kextcache -u /
It should look something like this when it's complete:
HackintoolRebuildCache.png

Do you have Xcode installed on your laptop? Perhaps I could write a small demo app that you can run in Xcode and help me track down where it's getting frozen. It's highly likely related to the new stderr capture code I've implemented.

Last edited:
Do you have Xcode installed on your laptop? Perhaps I could write a small demo app that you can run in Xcode and help me track down where it's getting frozen. It's highly likely related to the new stderr capture code I've implemented.

@headkaze,

Yes I have Xcode 10.0 (10A255) currently installed on the laptop, haven't got around to updating to the latest version as it takes so damn long over WiFi ... every time i get Xcode up to date Apple push out a new version :banghead:

I'll plug in to the LAN and get it updating now ...

Happy to help you get to the bottom of the issue, although its absolutely to do with the VoodooI2C kexts, if they are installed in /L/E Hackintool locks up when "Rebuild KextCache and Repair Permissions" is run, if i delete them it runs fine.

Cheers
Jay

Happy to help you get to the bottom of the issue, although its absolutely to do with the VoodooI2C kexts, if they are installed in /L/E Hackintool locks up when "Rebuild KextCache and Repair Permissions" is run, if i delete them it runs fine.
I don't think it's the VoodooI2C kext just that it causes output to stderr (which is highlighted in red) and that is where I think the lock is occurring. Pretty easy way of proving that is to install some other kext and see if the same thing happens.

Hi, running 2.4.8 - an unknown XHC controller is shown up in the USB section for deactivated USB ports - wonder if that means something or if artefact ?
Thanks

Attachments

• Capture d’écran 2019-05-10 à 16.53.08.png
    Capture d’écran 2019-05-10 à 16.53.08.png
    105.5 KB · Views: 165
Back