Contribute
Register

[Release] Hackintool v3.x.x

Hackintool only patches data that differs from the default values so that could account for the the Tonymac version being longer.

Try this. Make sure you're running Hackintool v2.4.0. Click the Mine button (little eye button next to Platform ID) so you are on your system's correct Platform ID. Go to the Connectors tab and apply the Z390M patch. You can see what changes the patch makes to them. Take a screenshot of them. Then click the Reload button (little round arrow button next to the Platform ID) and it should put the Connector data back to defaults. Now import your working config.plist and it should now apply the patches to the Connectors. Take another screenshot. Are they the same?

So at the very least doing this will allow us to see if the two patches are the same. After this we can then look at values the Tonymac version is applying that Hackintool is not. You can copy/paste these into the Calculator/Base64 area to view the actual byte data.

PS I apologize for losing my patience with you last night I understand that Hackintool lacks documentation and so it can be difficult to figure out how it works.

First of all thank you very much for your words! Twice.

Then the "Mine" Connectors are the very same I get once I load the Z390M patch.
No changes at all. In this regard, so in regard to the connectors the info are identical.

The differences are maybe in the Patch/General Tab and for sure in the Advanced Tab.
The moderator of the other thread said I should untick Spoof Video Device ID as I am on 10.14.4.
Also on the advanced Tab there's VRAM 2048 MB Ticked and other options that might be the reason for the differences in the 2 files.
Also, as you said, "Hackintool only patches data that differs from the default values".
I understand there's no documentation and I'm already thankful that there's the app and we can patch boards that were unusable. But as you might imagine the gap between your understanding and mine on the topic is huge.
I see a file twice as long and to me they're different. In regard to the Connectors both files say the same.

How should I go about all the other options in the General and Advanced tabs?
Thanks again.

Last edited:
First of all thank you very much for your words! Twice.

Then the "Mine" Connectors are the very same I get once I load the Z390M patch.
No changes at all. In this regard, so in regard to the connectors the info are identical.

The differences are maybe in the Patch/General Tab and for sure in the Advanced Tab.
The moderator of the other thread said I should untick Spoof Video Device ID as I am on 10.14.4.
Also on the advanced Tab there's VRAM 2048 MB Ticked and other options that might be the reason for the differences in the 2 files (see screenshot)
Also, as you said, "Hackintool only patches data that differs from the default values".
I understand there's no documentation and I'm already thankful that there's the app and we can patch boards that were unusable. But as you might imagine the gap between your understanding and mine on the topic is huge.
I see a file twice as long and to me they're different. In regard to the Connectors both files say the same.

How should I go about all the other options in the General and Advanced tabs?
Thanks again.
If you enable Auto Detect Changes, then you'll get an abbreviated patch set. The abbreviated set isn't wrong; it just enumerates the differences from default.

But disable Auto Detect Changes and click Generate Patch and you'll get the full set. You can toggle Auto Detect Changes back and forth and click Generate Patch to immediately observe the difference in the output.
Screen Shot 2019-05-03 at 10.23.01 AM.png

I'm surprised you haven't noticed my latest release as I implemented all the above features you requested

@headkaze,

Holy cow buddy ... you've been busy.

The new interface layout is much better and I can understand your reasons for it ... makes way more sense now IMO.

The new System Info and iMessage debug feature is awesome mate and very well implemented :clap:
Nice work reverse engineering the original iMessage Debug utility.

Sorry i did not see the changes sooner but i've been busy working on bringing my old Media Mac system (was running Mavericks) right up to date for the last few days and before that i finally got around to updating the Lilu guide with all new screen shots of Hackingtool V2.3.8 (many screen shots where from FB-Patcher) .... looks like i'm going to have to amend it again ;).

Fantastic work as always buddy ... Hackingtool just keeps getting better and better.

Question: How do you undo the 'Mine" feature (eye icon on Patch -> Info) to return the output to the original state ?

Cheers
Jay

Last edited:
If you enable Auto Detect Changes, then you'll get an abbreviated patch set. The abbreviated set isn't wrong; it just enumerates the differences from default.

But disable Auto Detect Changes and click Generate Patch and you'll get the full set. You can toggle Auto Detect Changes back and forth and click Generate Patch to immediately observe the difference in the output.
View attachment 403470
Here you have it...
My ignorance of course.

Thanks a lot!!

So after printing the patch using Auto Detect Changes switched off and checking the two files, now I see the two files are identical BUT these 3 lines that in the file from the framebuffer patch guide are missing:

<key>framebuffer-fbmem</key>
<data>
AAAAAA==
</data>
<key>framebuffer-stolenmem</key>
<data>
AACQAw==
</data>
<key>framebuffer-unifiedmem</key>
<data>
AAAAgA==
</data>

Here you have it...
My ignorance of course.

Thanks a lot!!

So after printing the patch using Auto Detect Changes switched off and checking the two files, now I see the two files are identical BUT these 3 lines that in the file from the framebuffer patch guide are missing:

<key>framebuffer-fbmem</key>
<data>
AAAAAA==
</data>
<key>framebuffer-stolenmem</key>
<data>
AACQAw==
</data>
<key>framebuffer-unifiedmem</key>
<data>
AAAAgA==
</data>
Those three are optional VRAM settings. They are controlled by the following checkboxes:
  • DVMT pre-alloc 32MB: This is specified by "fbmem" and "stolenmem"
  • VRAM 2048MB: This is specified by "unifiedmem"
Some motherboards do not provide a DVMT Pre-Alloc option in BIOS, so bullet #1 solves that problem. And for users of multiple monitors and hi-DPI monitors (4K, 5K) it is better to provide 2048MB of VRAM to the iGPU, hence bullet #2.
Screen Shot 2019-05-03 at 10.53.58 AM.png

Those three are optional VRAM settings. They are controlled by the following checkboxes:
  • DVMT pre-alloc 32MB: This is specified by "fbmem" and "stolenmem"
  • VRAM 2048MB: This is specified by "unifiedmem"
Some motherboards do not provide a DVMT Pre-Alloc option in BIOS, so bullet #1 solves that problem. And for users of multiple monitors and hi-DPI monitors (4K, 5K) it is better to provide 2048MB of VRAM to the iGPU, hence bullet #2.
View attachment 403480

Really thanks a lot @CaseySJ!!
Learning bits here and there. Thanks!

How do you undo the 'Mine" feature (eye icon on Patch -> Info) to return the output to the original state ?
Not sure what you mean? By clicking on Mine it just sets the Intel Generation / Platform ID to the one matching your system.

Not sure what you mean? By clicking on Mine it just sets the Intel Generation / Platform ID to the one matching your system.

@headkaze,

In the previous version of Hackingtool when you clicked on Intel -> Info you got the following page :-

Hackingtool-IGPU-PID-Bad.png
The IGPU Info page on the previous version of Hackingtool was one of the most useful when it came to selecting the correct PlatformID as it shows what your actual/detected IGPU is (in the Centre Panel) and what IGPU the selected Platform ID is for (in the lower Panel) It also shows your current SMBIOS at the top and what SMBIOS is supported by the selected PlatformID.

This page allowed a user to easily see the differences between the current SMBIOS and IGPU frame buffer to that of the selected platform ID ... Unless i'm missing something Hackingtool V 2.4.0 no longer has a single page that mimics this important info.

I really think the layout of the old style IGPU info page was a key part to FB-Patcher/Hackingtool as I explain in my Lilu + Plugins guide as it helped those users who are new to it select the correct framebuffer.

Is there any chance you could bring back the old style IGPU Info page and put the VRAM info on its own tab like in the previous version ?

Not sure if I've explained it well enough above, perhaps if you read the first three paragraphs of this section of the guide and how it uses the old style IGPU info screen it might make more sense.

Cheers
Jay

Is there any chance you could bring back the old style IGPU Info page and put the VRAM info on its own tab like in the previous version ?

The reason I separated this information out is because people were confused about what was their current config and what they were configuring. At the same time I agree that it's useful to know what the selection is compared to your current Framebuffer. The "Mine" button was so you could easily jump to your current Framebuffer.

So I propose the following solution. I change "Mine" to "Go to Current" and I include "Intel Generation (Current)" and "Platform ID (Current)" information in the "Framebuffer Info" section (see attached image).

What do you think?
HackintoolFramebufferInfo.png

Last edited:
I agree that it's useful to know what the selection is compared to your current Framebuffer. The "Mine" button was so you could easily jump to your current Framebuffer.

So I propose the following solution. I change "Mine" to "Go to Current" and I include "Intel Generation (Current)" and "Platform ID (Current)" information in the "Framebuffer Info" section (see attached image).

@headkaze,

As long as it's possible to compare the Actual/detected IGPU Info to the Framebuffer Info I think that will do the Job, could you also include Model/SMBIOS (Current) as well ?

Maybe also put a line separator between the Framebuffer Info and the Current Info just to make it easer to read ?

If the list will shows PlatformID/FrameBuffer Info as well as the Current PlatformID/Framebuffer Info would there be any need for the "Mine" button ?

Cheers
Jay

Last edited:
Back