Contribute
Register

[Release] Hackintool v3.x.x

Hi @headkaze, once again from my side, this time with a modification suggestion to your Hackintool that I consider to be quite useful and actually begin falling in "love" with. :)
Background.
When one runs "Rebuild KextCache and Repair Permissions from within Hackintool -> "Installed", everything works as expected, with the required routines being executed, as one was hoping they would, with the blue progress bar providing feedback when execution of these commands seem to have completed. However here lies a snag, to me at least, and that is whether the commands actually completed successfully or not.
Try this as a test.
Take the USBPorts.kext and modify the first line, which for the lack of a better word I will call "shebang" as is customary when scripting in a linux and even macOS terminal, and "destroy the required pattern" of that first line by placing a plus sign, or any other unwanted character, anywhere on that line as per this insert "+<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>" . Now run "Rebuild KextCache and Repair Permissions from within Hackintool -> "Installed" and wait until you think, command execution completed. Then go into terminal and run "sudo kextcache -i /" and you will notice that the "exception" list has not been created "error free" something that one is not being told by Hackintool. I suggest a small command completion feedback routine, added to an upcoming release of Hackintool, should go a long way to prevent any doubts around this when using Hackintool to "Rebuild KextCache and Repair Permissions"
Greetings

Last edited:
I suggest a small command completion feedback routine, added to an upcoming release of Hackintool, should go a long way to prevent any doubts around this when using Hackintool to "Rebuild KextCache and Repair Permissions"
Can you please try v2.4.5

Hackintool v2.4.5 Released
- Output added for "Rebuild KextCache and Repair Permissions"

Hackintool v2.4.5 Released
- Output added for "Rebuild KextCache and Repair Permissions"

@headkaze,

Tried "Rebuild KextCache and Repair Permissions" in V2.4.5, entered system password when prompted but no output on progress and resulted in Hackintool entering a hung state, spinning beach ball of death ... :beachball:.

Had to force quit it.

Tested on my HP X360 Laptop hack, running Mojave 10.14.4.

Cheers
Jay

@headkaze,

Tried "Rebuild KextCache and Repair Permissions" in V2.4.5, entered system password when prompted but no output on progress and resulted in Hackintool entering a hung state, spinning beach ball of death ... :beachball:.

Had to force quit it.

Tested on my HP X360 Laptop hack, running Mojave 10.14.4.

Cheers
Jay
It's normal behavior. You should try waiting as it repairs permissions and does take a while (especially with mechanical drives). I could put it in a separate thread to prevent the beach ball but it's not a big deal.

It's normal behavior. You should try waiting as it repairs permissions and does take a while (especially with mechanical drives). I could put it in a separate thread to prevent the beach ball but it's not a big deal.

@headkaze,

System is running on fast Samsung NVME ... so disk speed should not really be an issue.
I let it run for around 3 mins but did not see any progress.
Force quit status page showed that Hackingtool was not responding...

I'll run it again and leave it to run for longer .... will report back on what happens ..

Cheers
Jay

@headkaze,

Nope something is not right ... I let it run for 20 mins with the beach ball ..

Had to force quit it again ...

When I run Kext Utility which is my go to utility for Rebuilding KextCache and Repair Permissions it usually takes around 2 mins tops ...

I ran it twice, the first time was with the kext version scraper still running ..
The second time I let the kext scraper finish then clicked on Rebuild KextCache and Repair Permissions.

But same result both times.

Screenshot 2019-05-08 at 23.46.01.png

Although probably not connected .. might i suggest moving the Rebuild KextCache and Repair Permissions to the tools page, that way at least the kext scraper will not also be running at the same time .... maybe also move Install kext(s) to there too .. seems a more logical place for those two items to live IMO.

After force quitting Hackingtool I ran Kext Utility to Rebuild KextCache and Repair Permissions which completed as normal in under two mins ....

Let me know if you need any other debug..

Cheers
Jay

Last edited:
I'll run it again and leave it to run for longer .... will report back on what happens ..
Just to be sure I tested on all 3 of my machines and it appears to be working for me. 3 mins does seem excessive though.

no problemo on my H370 with a 8700k (Mojave 10.14.4)

Let me know if you need any other debug..
Can you run Hackintool from Terminal and see if any error shows when you do a rebuild?
maybe also move Install kext(s) to there too .. seems a more logical place for those two items to live IMO.
Yeah I'll move that in next release.

Back