Contribute
Register

[Release] Hackintool v3.x.x

Any idea why the version I used didn't allow me to use more than 15 ports in the end?
The port limit is per USB controller. So if you only have one controller you can only have 15 ports.

The port limit is per USB controller. So if you only have one controller you can only have 15 ports.
I don't have any add-on USB card.
Can motherboards have more than 1 USB controller?
Mine is Asus prime z390-a.

If it has only 1 controller then I must resign and accept to have non-functional USB ports?
I bet there are many other hackintoshes built using the same motherboard. I need to check what results others obtained.

Tx
-a-

Last edited:
I don't have any add-on USB card.
Can motherboards have more than 1 USB controller?
Mine is Asus prime z390-a.
If it has only 1 controller then I must resign and accept to have non-functional USB ports?
I bet there are many other hackintoshes built using the same motherboard. I need to check what results others obtained.

Tx
-a-
Hackintool lists all your USB controllers. Yes it is an annoying limitation. You could always try the port limit patch although it's not recommended for long term use.

Hackintool lists all your USB controllers. Yes it is an annoying limitation. You could always try the port limit patch although it's not recommended for long term use.
Damn...
Well, I guess I can live without some of the usb ports on the back that I will probably never use anyways. I should just mark them as offline or something.

Now, if I plan on making a new usbports.kext with only the ports I want... Any idea why the usb2.0 ports didn't detect usb3.0 devices? And what is wrong with hs08 and usb2.0 devices? This is a frontal USB port. I'd like to have it working.

Best,
-a-

You could always try the port limit patch although it's not recommended for long term use.
It's not because it's dependent on the version of macOS and thus needs to be changed at each update, or is there another reason?

Hi :)

On this rig:
- Asus prime z370-a
- I7-8700k
- Rx590

I have the following:

What is PXSX? is it the ASMedia controller?

Hackintool guidelines say:
5. Go to the General->USB tab to check your USB Controllers list. Based on your USB Controller you may need to install additional kexts:
• 8086:8CB1 and macOS < 10.11.1 -> XHCI-9-series.kext
• 8086:8D31, 8086:A2AF, 8086:A36D, 8086:9DED -> XHCI-unsupported.kext
• 8086:1E31, 8086:8C31, 8086:8CB1, 8086:8D31, 8086:9C31, 8086:9CB1 -> FakePCIID.kext + FakePCIID_XHCIMux.kext

6. Reboot if you need to install one of the additional kexts then run Hackintool again

There is nothing about 1B21:2142. What does that mean?

Tx
-a-

View attachment 390089
Yes It's the ASMedia USB controller.
It's marked as unknown.
Should I do anything else prior to seting up USB ports with hackintool?

Tx
-a-

You only have to worry about the Intel USB controller. The ASMedia ports are included in the 15 port limit.

OK...

Now for this rig:
  • Asus prime z370-a
  • I7-8700k
  • Rx590
USB ports (9 total):

• front : 1x USB2.0, 2x USB3.1 gen1 (blue)
  • Back : 2x USB2.0, 2x USB3.1 Gen1 (blue), 1x USB3.1 Gen2 typeA (teal), 1x USB3.1 Gen2 TypeC
I tried and failed (not all USB ports are working)... Here is what I did:

1. Place the USBInjectAll.kext (for port discovery) into EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other

Done. I also placed it into /L/E since kext injection is set to detect in my config.plist

USBInjectAll.kext Requirements:
2. Clover->DSDT Renames (if detected)
• XHC1 -> XHC
• EHC1 -> EH01
• EHC2 -> EH02

Didn't do any of that since XHC1 nor EHC could be found in IORegistryExplorer.app
(XHCI is present but apparently doesn't need any rename. Tell me if I'm wrong)

3. Reboot
4. Run Hackintool then go to General->Installed to check USBInjectAll is installed correctly
• Eg. USBInjectAll: Yes (Release-0.7.1)
5. Go to the General->USB tab to check your USB Controllers list. Based on your USB Controller you may need to install additional kexts:
• 8086:8CB1 and macOS < 10.11.1 -> XHCI-9-series.kext
• 8086:8D31, 8086:A2AF, 8086:A36D, 8086:9DED -> XHCI-unsupported.kext
• 8086:1E31, 8086:8C31, 8086:8CB1, 8086:8D31, 8086:9C31, 8086:9CB1 -> FakePCIID.kext + FakePCIID_XHCIMux.kext

I have

So I only installed XHCI-unsupported.kext (both into /E/E/C/K/O and /L/E).
I did NOT install FakePCIID.kext nor FakePCIID_XHCIMux.kext. Was this a mistake?

6. Reboot if you need to install one of the additional kexts then run Hackintool again

7.Go to the General->USB tab
8.Select all items in the USB Ports list and select the “Delete” then the “Refresh” button
9.Reboot with -uia_exclude_ss uia_include=HS01,HS02 boot flags
• Change the HS01,HS02 ports to the ones you have your mouse and keyboard attached
10. Run Hackintool and go to the General->USB tab
• Plug and unplug a USB 2.0 device into all ports on your system
• The ports that are active will remain highlighted green

When doing this, both the USB3.1 Gen1 port on the front behaved differently. The USB2.0 device was detected as Mass Storage but was not mounted (these were HS03 and HS04). Sometimes, but not always, Mass Storage was blinking in Hackintool GUI and then it switched to IOUSBHostDevice (instead of Mass Storage) and stopped blinking (still not mounted, though). This is very similar to what I experienced in post#665. On both occasions, it is the same case (same model, different units). could it be a hardware default from the manufacturer?

Since I'm using a USB-C -> Adapter, I also connected a USB2.0 dongle on the USB-C port (->PRT03)

I ended up with 9 ports in green (HS03->06, HS13-14, PRT03-04)

11. Delete all ports that are not highlighted green

12.Reboot with -uia_exclude_hs boot flag and remove the -uia_exclude_ss boot flag
13.Run Hackintool and go to the General->USB tab
• Plug and unplug a USB 3.0 device into all ports on your system
• Plug and unplug a TypeC device into all ports (in both orientations)
• The ports that are active will remain highlighted green
14. Delete all ports that are not highlighted green

When doing this the USB2.0 ports (1 on the front, 2 on the back) didn't (detect?) mount the USB3.0 device.
The USB-C port was the same in both orientations (PRT01). However (since I'm using an adapter) both PRT01 and PRT03 would be marked as connected to a USB-C hub. Again, this was independant of the orientation.

I ended up with 6 ports in green (SS03->06, PRT01-02).

Lucky enough, the total is within the 15 ports limit.

15. Set each port to the appropriate Connector using the drop down list
• USB ports with devices permanently attached (eg. M.2 Bluetooth card) should be set to “Internal”

No such thing

• HSxx ports connected to USB3 ports should be set to USB3
• Internal HUBs are typically connected to ports PR11 and PR21 and therefore should be set to “Internal”

PRx1 were not present

TypeC:
• If it uses the same HSxx/SSxx in both orientations, then it has an internal switch (use “TypeC+Sw”)
• If it uses a different HSxx/SSxx in each orientation, then it has no switch (use “TypeC”)
16. Use the “Export” button to generate files to your Desktop

When doing this Hackingtool asks for the permission to add a rename EC0 to EC in config.plist. I accepted

• Copy SSDT-EC.aml (if created) to EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched

No such thing

• Choose one of the following two:
• A) Copy USBPorts.kext to EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other or;

Did that and also added it into /L/E using KextBeast -> KextUtility

• B) Copy SSDT-UIAC.aml and SSDT-USBX.aml (if created) to EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched
17. You can now perform a clean up and remove unnecessary files:
• Remove custom boot flags (-uia_exclude_ss -uia_exclude_hs uia_include=x)
• Remove USBInjectAll.kext

Done. USBinjectAll was removed from both locations

(The new guidelines in 1.9.4 do not mention anymore that I should remove the renames (XHC, EHC), however I didn't use them in the first place so it doesn't apply in this case)

18. Reboot
19.Run Hackintool and go to the General->USB tab
20.Select all items in the USB Ports list and select the “Delete” then the “Refresh” button

Doing this some ports disappeared. The 4 PRTxx ports actually, corresponding to USB3.1 Gen2 ports (Type A/C), teal

• Now you can check all ports are working correctly

The 2 USB3.1 Gen1 port on the front work normally with USB3.0 devices but fail to mount USB2.0 devices.
Surprisingly the front USB2.0 mounts both USB2.0 and USB3.0 devices.
The USB3.1 Gen2 ports (teal) either type A or Type C both work at USB2.0 speed only.

How can I fix all this?

Thank you very much in advance for your help.

Best,
-a-

Back