Contribute
Register

Relabeling partitions, and hiding partitions in chameleon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Blach
CPU
Blacjh
Graphics
fefe
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
I just reinstalled windows 7 and ubuntu on my machine because I wanted to get a system reserved partition on my windows install. It worked great. All I had to do is install windows, then ubuntu then reinstall chameleon because ubuntu doesn't like it. Well, I have to whole thing sorted out but I have a problem. In chameleon to boot into windows 7, you boot from the system reserved partition, not the os partition. Is there anyway I can make chameleon think that the OS partition isn't there? And is there anyway to make chameleon think that the system reserved partition is called windows 7? Thanks.

Evildemon989 said:
I just reinstalled windows 7 and ubuntu on my machine because I wanted to get a system reserved partition on my windows install. It worked great. All I had to do is install windows, then ubuntu then reinstall chameleon because ubuntu doesn't like it. Well, I have to whole thing sorted out but I have a problem. In chameleon to boot into windows 7, you boot from the system reserved partition, not the os partition. Is there anyway I can make chameleon think that the OS partition isn't there? And is there anyway to make chameleon think that the system reserved partition is called windows 7? Thanks.

Yeah- take a look at the Chameleon documentation- there are methods to hide/show partitions and rename partitions, although I haven't utilitzed it personally. It's in the source of AsereBLN's RC4, or any Chameleon source.

http://chameleon.osx86.hu/
http://github.com/aserebln/Chameleon/tree/#

Report back with any methods, etc... Thanks! I attached the docs.

Attachments

• BootHelp.txt
    4.1 KB · Views: 277
Alright, I'll take a look at it tonight. I've got AsereBLN's 1.1.9 bootloader installed.

EDIT: I just scanned BootHelp.txt, and I only found how to hide partitions, not rename them:

"Hide Partition" Remove unwanted partition(s) from the boot menu.
=hd(x,y) [hd(m,n)]

What does [hd(m,n)] mean? I know that x and y are the disk and partition number, and I believe that the m,n is just for more hidden partitions?

I'll look into the chameleon homepage and other documentation later. Thanks.

Alright I added the hidden partition string and it hides it great. I still have not found how to rename a partition through chameleon. Does anyone have any ideas?

EDIT: Also, when I boot into OSX, it automatically mounts system reserved. Is there anyway to get it to not mount it?

Also, when my Windows 7 OS drive mounts, it mounts as "Untitled". Can I change that to whatever I want? I doubt it, and I know it's a hail mary, but maybe someone has an idea.

I also have another very off topic question. Right now I have the smbios.plist for the iMac11,1, with fixes for aserebln's bootloader. Is there a Mac Pro one that with still work with my hardware in sig?

Evildemon989 said:
Alright I added the hidden partition string and it hides it great. I still have not found how to rename a partition through chameleon. Does anyone have any ideas?

EDIT: Also, when I boot into OSX, it automatically mounts system reserved. Is there anyway to get it to not mount it?

Also, when my Windows 7 OS drive mounts, it mounts as "Untitled". Can I change that to whatever I want? I doubt it, and I know it's a hail mary, but maybe someone has an idea.

I also have another very off topic question. Right now I have the smbios.plist for the iMac11,1, with fixes for aserebln's bootloader. Is there a Mac Pro one that with still work with my hardware in sig?

Not sure if renaming a partition just for Chameleon is possible.

FYI- When installing Windows 7, you can get rid of the System Reserved issues (ick) and have 1 blasted partition for Windows. Like it should be! Check out this page for step by step with pics:
http://www.mydigitallife.info/2009/08/2 ... windows-7/

The Windows drive can't be renamed in OS X.

I'd switch to the MacPro4,1 smbios.plist- in MultiBeast. There are some audio artifacts when using the iMac one for now. ;)

tonymacx86 said:
Not sure if renaming a partition just for Chameleon is possible.

FYI- When installing Windows 7, you can get rid of the System Reserved issues (ick) and have 1 blasted partition for Windows. Like it should be! Check out this page for step by step with pics:
http://www.mydigitallife.info/2009/08/2 ... windows-7/

The Windows drive can't be renamed in OS X.

I'd switch to the MacPro4,1 smbios.plist- in MultiBeast. There are some audio artifacts when using the iMac one for now. ;)
Yea, but I've seen videos that people show that they have there windows drive named Windows 7 in chameleon. Normally it is just Windows NTFS.

Also, I just reinstalled so I could get the system reserved partition. And about the MacPro4,1, if install it using multibeast, it will only exchange the smbios.plist, correct? Will it still be able to see my core i5 when 10.6.3 is out in about this mac? Thanks!

you must rename it in my computer of windows 7 and new name will show up in chameleon

chameleon is great thing, thanks developers for it.
i have chameleon with xp, vista, win7, ubuntu, arch and mac os all on one PC hard drive.
it takes me mounths to do that, and now all works fine.
i just want to rename linux partitions couse its linux and linux there, i want it names arch and ubuntu
it must be way to do that in under mac/chameleon
is anybodie know how i can change locations of thats partitions in chameleon. if i solve that i will be able to put solaris os in chameleon.
PLEASE

So this never worked for me at all.. Till the latest chimera release! Except I seem to be only to do one. Any ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back