Contribute
Register

Reinstalling Lion, retaining user and applications

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
X99P SLI > Need make and full model name > See Rules!
CPU
Xeon E5 > Need full CPU model name > See Forum Rules!
Graphics
GTX 970
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I want to reinstall Lion for a few reasons, as I've got a few gremlins lurking around in my Extensions folder, and there's now a custom DSDT for my motherboard BIOS version.

But I don't really want to have to reset all my user account settings and applications.

Reinstalling using Unibeast is nice and easy, and I have a Time Machine backup to get back my old apps etc. I did a couple of reinstalls this morning, but kept finding my Extensions folder restored to how it was before I reinstalled. Does anyone know which options I should be leaving checked on the Transfer from Time Machine part of Lion install:

Users
Applications
Settings
Extra Files and Folders

Is it as simple as leaving off the last two? I tried leaving out the 'Extra Files and Folders, but no joy.

adrianjgsmith said:
I want to reinstall Lion for a few reasons, as I've got a few gremlins lurking around in my Extensions folder, and there's now a custom DSDT for my motherboard BIOS version.

But I don't really want to have to reset all my user account settings and applications.

Reinstalling using Unibeast is nice and easy, and I have a Time Machine backup to get back my old apps etc. I did a couple of reinstalls this morning, but kept finding my Extensions folder restored to how it was before I reinstalled. Does anyone know which options I should be leaving checked on the Transfer from Time Machine part of Lion install:

Users
Applications
Settings
Extra Files and Folders

Is it as simple as leaving off the last two? I tried leaving out the 'Extra Files and Folders, but no joy.

never tried that before, since restoring app is only copying from backup into corresponding path on mac osx. did you try carbon copy cloner? you can also choose which folders you want to copy or clone.

I think the Application restore option does more than just the Applications folder; I use Final Cut Pro and After Effects among other programs that pepper your hard drive with support files and 3rd party plugins, and obviously I don't want to be manually replacing these.

I do have a Carbon Copy backup as well though, so if it doesn't work the way I'm currently trying, l'll have to go with that.

Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back