Contribute
Register

Reinstalling High Sierra stuck on apple logo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I initialize the PCI first, I also tried it the other way around, but I end up back at gIOLockState 3

I am using the EFI of my USB stick now, on this one I now installed the Lilu and Whatevergreen kexts, but they end me back at the gIOLockState 3
I attached my Clover folder of the USB stick

The web-drivers should match, the whole system used to work, except now I had to reinstall HighSierra on the boot partition, and I don't know what broke initially.

Okay, there isn"t much in the config.plist but there are a couple of changes generally, you could try...

Related to GPU:

Change your SIP (CsrActiveConfig) from 0x3 to 0x64
Install the NVRAM emulation files (EmuVariableUefi-64.efi and RC Scripts) using Clover or MultiBeast.

Using Clover Configurator for ease, tick this box:

CC2.jpg

Related to other possible issues:

Take a look at the boxes I've ticked in this screen grab, again, from Clover Configurator -

CC1.jpg

:)

Thank you very much for your advice, but with your changes I am still ending up at gIOLockState 3, trying it both with and without nv_disable=1

Is there some way to remove/deactivate the webdrivers, I did boot the machine without them when I set it up the first time?

Attachments

• IMG_5930.JPG
    IMG_5930.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 48
Thank you very much for your advice, but with your changes I am still ending up at gIOLockState 3, trying it both with and without nv_disable=1

Is there some way to remove/deactivate the webdrivers, I did boot the machine without them when I set it up the first time?

Yes, you can uninstall the Nvidia drivers. If you open the System Preferences - Nvidia Applet there is the option to remove them in there (or there was the last time I used them etc). Reboot once done.

Yes, you can uninstall the Nvidia drivers. If you open the System Preferences - Nvidia Applet there is the option to remove them in there (or there was the last time I used them etc). Reboot once done.
Of course right now I can't boot in any graphical environment. Can this be done from single user mode, or can I somehow get the internal graphics to work?

Of course right now I can't boot in any graphical environment. Can this be done from single user mode, or can I somehow get the internal graphics to work?

If you can't even boot using the UniBeast installer flash-drive itself, then maybe consider removing the GPU. Go into BIOS, set Intel GPU as first, save, switch off, then remove the NVidia GPU, plug monitor into motherboard graphics port and reboot. Graphics will be rough but there are optional settings in the Clover menu if you need to use them.

If you can't even boot using the UniBeast installer flash-drive itself, then maybe consider removing the GPU. Go into BIOS, set Intel GPU as first, save, switch off, then remove the NVidia GPU, plug monitor into motherboard graphics port and reboot. Graphics will be rough but there are optional settings in the Clover menu if you need to use them.
I removed the GPU, and tried booting using internal graphics. This results in a spam of
[IGPU] Hash data from ME never returned, status = 1, doing retry #

The only suggestion for this was loading it using -disablegfxfirmware, leaving me again at gIOLockState 3
I also tried booting using -x without graphics card, which also brings me to gIOLockState 3.

I removed the GPU, and tried booting using internal graphics. This results in a spam of
[IGPU] Hash data from ME never returned, status = 1, doing retry #

The only suggestion for this was loading it using -disablegfxfirmware, leaving me again at gIOLockState 3
I also tried booting using -x without graphics card, which also brings me to gIOLockState 3.

Even when just booting the UniBeast installer drive and going no further?

Remember you can enter the Installation phase by choosing the "External" icon and get to the Tools menu before starting the actual install. Once there you can use Terminal to copy the UniBeast EFI into place on your destination drive EFI partition. This should make it bootable, if a bit raw. Learning curve needed for Terminal commands. Obviously don't start the Install.

I would be surprised if your particular hardware doesn't allow even this.

Even when just booting the UniBeast installer drive and going no further?

Remember you can enter the Installation phase by choosing the "External" icon and get to the Tools menu before starting the actual install. Once there you can use Terminal to copy the UniBeast EFI into place on your destination drive EFI partition. This should make it bootable, if a bit raw. Learning curve needed for Terminal commands. Obviously don't start the Install.

I would be surprised if your particular hardware doesn't allow even this.
I can boot using the stick or the recovery partition, but using the EFI directly from USB should be the same as copying it over?
I trying booting using the UniBeast EFI already directly from the USB stick, and it gives me the same spam of [IGPU] Hash data from ME never returned, status = 1, doing retry # when trying to use the internal graphics, and if I use -disablegfxfirmware I see gIOLockState 3 for a frame, before ending up with an apple loading screen, with a progress bar that never moves forward. This happens even with the GPU physically unplugged.

I can boot using the stick or the recovery partition, but using the EFI directly from USB should be the same as copying it over?
I trying booting using the UniBeast EFI already directly from the USB stick, and it gives me the same spam of [IGPU] Hash data from ME never returned, status = 1, doing retry # when trying to use the internal graphics, and if I use -disablegfxfirmware I see gIOLockState 3 for a frame, before ending up with an apple loading screen, with a progress bar that never moves forward. This happens even with the GPU physically unplugged.

Hang on, this is getting overcomplicated - and it doesn't need to.

Your motherboard, CPU and graphics card are fine for High Sierra. The only likely issue is GPU initialisation. This was an old problem that occurred after the first part of the boot cycle as the system tried to switch to the dGPU fully. It caused a black-screen. Clover came to the rescue, as did Lilu.kext and Whatevergreen.kext later.

In your BIOS set PCI-e graphics as First. You can leave iGPU as "Auto" if that is available, or "Disable".

You can then manually "ignore" the GTX1060 during boot by using the "nv_disable=1" command-lime option. This gives you non-accelerated graphics by putting the card in "VESA" mode. As an additional step for difficult systems you can also use the "Safe Mode" command-line " -s " option.

These, and many other useful commands, can be found by pressing the "SpaceBar" when at the Clover icon drive menu.

Once High Sierra is installed you can install your Nvidia web-drivers.

Yes, of course, if you know how then you can copy the UniBeast EFI folder into place on your destination hard-drive/SSD.

You can then manually "ignore" the GTX1060 during boot by using the "nv_disable=1" command-lime option. This gives you non-accelerated graphics by putting the card in "VESA" mode. As an additional step for difficult systems you can also use the "Safe Mode" command-line " -s " option.
All these booting attempts from my USB stick were made with nv_disable=1 and I am getting the gIOLockState 3 errors.
I also tried booting with -x, to the same result.
Booting with -s insofar works as I do get access to a command line interface, but no graphics whatsoever

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back