Graphics
GTX 1050, 1920x1080 + UHD 630
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Other
Hi Guys,
A quick question;
After a while I decided to reinstal my hackingtosh on my acer aspire. I already had it working a while ago, but switched to windows and now I want to dualbooth. Luckily I made a backup of the drive and EFI folder so I thought it would be plug and play but it doesn't seem that easy. I did a clean mac OS (journaled) erased SSD and dragged the content of my old hackingtosh drive backup on it. In addition I dragged the EFI partition to its EFI partition, but the acer aspire says: 'no bootable disk'. Am I overlooking here something or does is simply not work like this? :)

Moved to Multi Booting.

Hi Guys,
A quick question;
After a while I decided to reinstal my hackingtosh on my acer aspire. I already had it working a while ago, but switched to windows and now I want to dualbooth. Luckily I made a backup of the drive and EFI folder so I thought it would be plug and play but it doesn't seem that easy. I did a clean mac OS (journaled) erased SSD and dragged the content of my old hackingtosh drive backup on it. In addition I dragged the EFI partition to its EFI partition, but the acer aspire says: 'no bootable disk'. Am I overlooking here something or does is simply not work like this? :)
Depending on Clover version it may need boot files installed to the MBR.
What method did you use to make the backups?

I copied my EFI folder, and also just dragged the files on a backup drive. Also have a .sparesbundle with timemachine.

I copied my EFI folder, and also just dragged the files on a backup drive. Also have a .sparesbundle with timemachine.
Then you need to use a later version of Clover or re-install Clover to the HDD to get the Boot0af in the MBR.

I made another usb stick with the same macos version today. After I had a clean instal again I tried to drag and replace the files from my dual boot windows to the os drive, without luck.
Status now is that I have my old Hackintosh settings back (with the backup of EFI and all the kext I reinstalled from the L/E backup folder). So I am good to go in a way, but all the MacOS settings and Applications are gone ofcourse...
Feels a bit stupid having to instal everything again from the start while the backup application, system and library folders are on a HD next to me :banghead:

I made another usb stick with the same macos version today. After I had a clean instal again I tried to drag and replace the files from my dual boot windows to the os drive, without luck.
Status now is that I have my old Hackintosh settings back (with the backup of EFI and all the kext I reinstalled from the L/E backup folder). So I am good to go in a way, but all the MacOS settings and Applications are gone ofcourse...
Feels a bit stupid having to instal everything again from the start while the backup application, system and library folders are on a HD next to me :banghead:
It does not work like that - an OS must be installed, not drag & drop/copied from drive to drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back