Graphics
Intel HD 3000
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Darn. I had a working hackintosh and I went and broke it. Can anyone help?

I had a working setup with a Windows 7 partition and an OS X 10.7 partition on my boot drive. However I wanted to reinstall Windows. So here's what I did (please say if I should have done something different):

1) I followed 'step 2' in http://tonymacx86.blogspot.co.uk/2009/11/dual-boot-windows-7-and-os-x-snow.html (as I'd already done 'step 1' and already had an OS X partition so *thought* I didn't need to do 'step 3').
2) Once the Windows 7 installer was done restarting my computer I had a working copy of Windows.
3) I then rebooted to try to boot into OS X. However I no longer saw the screen I had always seen before offering me the choice of OS X and Windows (which wasn't the Chameleon screen, but one provided by something I installed in Windows). This was expected as I'd reinstalled Windows and so wiped the boot-choice thing I'd installed in Windows.
4) So next time I rebooted from Windows I chose to boot of a freshly-burnt iBoot 3.3 CD.
5) I saw the iBoot screen which lets you choose what to boot from. Choosing my Windows partition worked fine. However choosing my old Mac partition didn't - I briefly saw the standard screen with a grey apple against a white background, but then my system spontaneously restarted, taking me back to the iBoot screen.
6) So next time I chose iBoot from this screen, thinking I might have to follow step 3 at http://tonymacx86.blogspot.co.uk/2009/11/dual-boot-windows-7-and-os-x-snow.html again, or reinstall Chameleon or something. However this yielded a screen (pic attached) saying 'You need to restart your computer' with errors like "panic ... unable to find driver for this platform: \"ACPI\"...

In conclusion I'm completely stuck and am unsure how to fix this without reformatting my entire drive and then following all 3 steps at http://tonymacx86.blogspot.co.uk/2009/11/dual-boot-windows-7-and-os-x-snow.html from scratch. This would be a bad option. Can anyone suggest any better ones?

Thanks in advance for any help!
tog

Attachments

• IMG_20121108_152429.jpg
    IMG_20121108_152429.jpg
    803.3 KB · Views: 527
boot using iboot cd, and select your OSX partition and insert -v (verbose) string. That will give some information the cause of kernel panic and then post the screen shot.

Thanks, appreciate the quick reply!

I selected my old, previously working OS X partition, typed -v and then enter. Many screens of text appeared on my screen. The first one started with text like 'Loading Darwin 10.7' and 'FADT: Using custom DSDT'. I attack a picture of it. Then it started cycling through 100s of lines beginning with 'Read HFS+ file: [hd(0,2)/Extras/Extensions/...]'. and abruptly ended at one of them, with the screen just going black. I attach a freezeframe with the last few lines that showed.

Does this help diagnose the problem? (hopeful face)

Attachments

• hd-osx-partition-verbose-start.jpg
    hd-osx-partition-verbose-start.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 329
  • hd-osx-partition-verbose-end.png
    hd-osx-partition-verbose-end.png
    130.9 KB · Views: 287
PS: you didn't ask for this, but I also thought it might be helpful (for pinning down the problem with booting iBoot itself, in my step 6 in the OP) to attach a photo of a verbose boot of iBoot rather than my hard disk's old OS X partition. Here it is. In this case it just froze on the following rather than going black.

Attachments

• iboot-cd-verbose.jpg
    iboot-cd-verbose.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 911
BTW, you should list exact specifications of your hardware so that members are knowing exactly what you have. MOBO, CPU, GFX etc....

your kernel panic reference EvOreboot, read this thread and see if it helps.
http://legacy.tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13183

My specs are:

Gigabyte Z68MA-D2H-B3 motherboard
Intel i5 2500K (ordered)
Graphics: just Intel HD 3000 on CPUE
4GB DDR3 1600 RAM
Caviar Blue SATA2 hard drive
Crucial 64GB 2.5" M4 SSD SATA-III
Sony Optiarc AD-7260S DVD writer

Thanks for the link to that thread. You're right that the screenshot with my 'PS' 3rd post (from my boot of iBoot rather than my hard disk's old OS X partition) does refer to EvOreboot. However http://legacy.tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13183 gives these instructions:

Boot with iBoot, select your HD on chameleon bootscreen and type -s
When you arrives a terminal type

fsck -fy
mount -uw /
rm -rv /Extra/Extensions/EvOreboot.kext (on the screen now you should see a list of files which were deleted)
rm /Extra/Extensions.mkext
reboot

If you get to your Desktop, run Kext Utility (doubleclick) and after that run Disk Utility and repair permissions on your OSX HD

Alas, when I type -s I just see the verbose boot text and never arrive at a terminal or a get a chance to type the commands it gives :(

Boot into your Windows partition and install MacDrive, that will allow you to see content of OSX via Windows' OS. Then check Extra/Extensions and see if that file exist.

Worst come to worst is rebuild. Given that HDD or SSD is quite cheap and affordable these days, you should consider running each OS on a separate HDD.

Boot into your Windows partition and install MacDrive, that will allow you to see content of OSX via Windows' OS. Then check Extra/Extensions and see if that file exist.

Thanks, I have done, and I don't see 'EvOreboot.kext' in /Extra/Extensions/. All I see is the following:

ACPIMonitor.kext
FakeSMC.kext
IntelCPUMonitor.kext
IOACHIBlockStorageInjector.kext
SuperIOFamily.kext

Does this help to diagnose/fix my problem?

Worst come to worst is rebuild. Given that HDD or SSD is quite cheap and affordable these days, you should consider running each OS on a separate HDD.

You're right, please let me know when I should give up on fixing this and just reinstall. I already have a SSD and a HD, so might even install Windows 7 on the HD and OS X on the SSD if you think that's wiser?

Check System/Library/Extensions and see if there's any trace of that kext there. it is always a good preactice to have a space partition to clone your working OSX prior to making changes which serve a good backup method.

SSD = OSX
HDD = WIn7 + 1 partition for OSX backup

Check System/Library/Extensions and see if there's any trace of that kext there

No, it's not there. And using MacDrive I searched my OS X boot partition for any files with 'evOreboot' in them and Windows didn't find any. Reformat and reinstall time?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back