Contribute
Register

RehabMan's ProBook Ivy Bridge 4540s

Status
Not open for further replies.
Strange, I patched 10.9 AppleHDA from your 10.8.4 AppleHDA, and used the kexts you posted here: http://www.tonymacx86.com/hp-proboo...ought-previous-versions-osx-6.html#post684335

Both of them give me lots of sound assertion, but the kext you just posted works perfectly, no assertion at all:thumbup:
Yup, is funny how long it took as to figure out that the 4x40s layout and platform XMLs work great for us too, all we need to do is change the ids.

BTW, Rehabman when you have a little time can you do a Ubuntu codec_dump on the 4540s so we the documents/drawings for an easier comparison between codecs, thx.

BCM94322HM8L had some issue with 10.8.5 (resets connection every minute or so), but 9280 is rock solid on 10.8.5 and 10.9. Given you update region to 00 in EEPROM - the console warnings would go away. BTW, I noticed higher WiFi speed (real throughput) with 9280, almost 2x (referring to 5GHZ band only). May be because of my WiFi access points are Atheros as well.
You can not beat the price = $5.99 shipped from CA, US http://www.ebay.com/itm/181234322814

After patching EEPROM, can the card boot fast, or are there any problems with it?

If the card does not work perfectly, I may switch to Broadcom 43224/43225. They work perfectly on Mavericks.

I read here about it and about the solution that seems to work, now i guess it wouldn't be a bad idea to add it to dsdt patches or you think is pointless?

Edit:
Btw, I do not see it on my desktop.

We can add it... I'll test later.

After patching EEPROM, can the card boot fast, or are there any problems with it?

If the card does not work perfectly, I may switch to Broadcom 43224/43225. They works perfectly on Mavericks.

I was tempted to go 43224, but they are not supported on Lion/ML, and I find that useful sometimes...

I have some questions. Why did you change? wouldn't been easier to change the CPU of your 4530 for an I5 or even an I7? Is there any other advantage of the 4540 over the 4530?

I have some questions. Why did you change? wouldn't been easier to change the CPU of your 4530 for an I5 or even an I7? Is there any other advantage of the 4540 over the 4530?

I could have upgraded the CPU in my 4530s, but I'd still have HD3000 (brightness problems and glitches, lower performance than HD4000), no USB3, whitelist enforced WiFi, older battery, older computer, etc.

By the time I sell the 4530s it won't be much more money to just upgrade the whole machine as I have done. A bit of a pain, as I need to take it apart to replace the screen, but that's ok. I plan to just migrate my existing Mavericks install from the 4530s to the 4540s (by transplanting the SSD).

If the card does not work perfectly, I may switch to Broadcom 43224/43225. They work perfectly on Mavericks.
Not sure what you mean. It takes ~ 5-6 secs if you login right away for WiFi to become ready. After sleep - it is instant on.

From what I understand 43224/43225 do not work on 5GHz. After using 5GHz I would never use 2.4 GHz - LOL. Non starter for me.

I do not have any issue with 9280 at all. On ML around 10.8.2 - 9280 would take about 30secs to initialize after wake and boot, sometimes it would give up, so it needed manual intervention. It all changed when I tried it on 10.8.5 and since use it exclusively on all my laptops. Even thinking to upgrade my C2D mini, so I could use 5GHz range, but it is on wire, so it is not critical to have fast WiFi.

I patched EEPROM on all of them. You need to boot into Windows to do it and it takes a few reboots (activate driver test mode) and 5 mins to do actual EEPROM read+change+write. All tools are GUI.

I could have upgraded the CPU in my 4530s, but I'd still have HD3000 (brightness problems and glitches, lower performance than HD4000), no USB3, whitelist enforced WiFi, older battery, older computer, etc.

By the time I sell the 4530s it won't be much more money to just upgrade the whole machine as I have done. A bit of a pain, as I need to take it apart to replace the screen, but that's ok. I plan to just migrate my existing Mavericks install from the 4530s to the 4540s (by transplanting the SSD).

I used "OpenGL Extensions Viewer" to test video - HD4000 was on par with GTX285. No CUDA of course. Figures...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back