CPU
i7-2600K
Graphics
HD 3000
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
This is just a summary post of what I'm finding out with this new laptop. I'm going to eventually move components from my 4530s and have the 4540s be my new main 'hackbook'.

I spent a bit of time to figure out exactly which flags are required.

When I got it, I fired it up just to make sure it reaches the Windows setup. It did. I shut it down, removed the HDD and replaced it with a Crucial M4 SSD. Then I proceeded to try a Mavericks install.

Installing:
- right now with standard screen (eventually, I'll transfer the screen from my 4530s... I already have the cable)
- needed only "IGPEnabler=No" to boot Unibeast USB
- ps2 drivers in Unibeast do not work for the trackpad on this laptop, replace with mine or use a USB mouse for installation
- second boot needs only "IGPEnabler=No -x"
- annoying "connect a BT keyboard" screen was coming up (have to plug in a USB keyboard). found that if you disable BT in BIOS this goes away (looks like BIOS toggle for BT actually works, compared the 4x30s where it has no effect).

"Mini SSDT" trick for injecting graphics will not work on the 4x40s series, because the GFX0 device in DSDT already has a _DSM method. You cannot override a _DSM that is in DSDT with a _DSM in SSDTs. I will be interesting how this impacts booting with DSDT=Null or in the fresh install case with a 1080p screen installed. We can officially throw this technique out when using the native DSDT. The 4x30s DSDT does not have this _DSM method under GFX0 so SSDT injection works on that machine.

Other notes, post install:
- no problem with screen brightness, before or after display sleep. So far, no need for blinkscreen
- the fan is definitely quieter on this machine
- speed due to i5 chip (compared to my i3 in my 4530s) is nice
- original AR9485 is still in place. Does not seem to cause any problems, although it doesn't work (not supported). I'll be researching on what to replace it with soon.

--- Unrelated Lion Info ---

Also, just to see how it would go, I created a modified ProBook Installer (via pkgutil) to see if the machine can support Lion 10.7.5. I haven't done a lot of testing, but it appears the patches in the ProBook Installer work great for this machine on Lion.

Similar to the flags necessary in the Mavericks case, you must use "GraphicsEnabler=No" for the initial boot of the USB and "GraphicsEnabler=No -x" for the second one. If you were using Unibeast v3, you would need IGPEnabler=No instead. This is boot loader dependent/default org.chameleon.Boot.plist dependent.

Congratulations! :thumbup: I've just added the Lion support for 4x40s and probably will upload a new version, there are some other updates (the main DSDT patches, a new SSDT generator script...).

Nice RehabMan.

About the Bluetooth screen before install, you only need to press spacebar to passby. This laptop does not have whitelist, so you can buy a half-size native Airport Extreme card, BCM94322HM8L or Atheros 9280.

I did not know there were troubles installing Mavericks on 4x40s. I used Clover guide from start and did not have any pleasure of figuring out what is wrong with installer. But I got messed up royally with my desktop upgrade from Lion. thanks to old 3rd party oemSmbios.kext plugin.

BTW, congrats. I feel more secure as you have the same model now.

Another thing, the brightness issue is still there just not so prominent as on 4x30 series and could be fixed with brisk power button keystroke that conveniently puts screen to sleep, when it wakes up - it is slightly brighter.

Make sure you get latest F42 BIOS on it as well.

Nice RehabMan.

About the Bluetooth screen before install, you only need to press spacebar to passby. This laptop does not have whitelist, so you can buy a half-size native Airport Extreme card, BCM94322HM8L or Atheros 9280.

BCM94322HM8L had some issue with 10.8.5 (resets connection every minute or so), but 9280 is rock solid on 10.8.5 and 10.9. Given you update region to 00 in EEPROM - the console warnings would go away. BTW, I noticed higher WiFi speed (real throughput) with 9280, almost 2x (referring to 5GHZ band only). May be because of my WiFi access points are Atheros as well.
You can not beat the price = $5.99 shipped from CA, US http://www.ebay.com/itm/181234322814

BCM94322HM8L had some issue with 10.8.5 (resets connection every minute or so), but 9280 is rock solid on 10.8.5 and 10.9. Given you update region to 00 in EEPROM - the console warnings would go away. BTW, I noticed higher WiFi speed with 9280, almost 2x (referring to 5GHZ band only). May be because of my WiFi access points are Atheros as well.
You can not beat the price = $5.99 shipped from CA, US http://www.ebay.com/itm/181234322814

It's not available to ship to my country, does this work too?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-ATHEROS-...US_Internal_Network_Cards&hash=item2a227db8fd

I did not know there were troubles installing Mavericks on 4x40s.

There aren't any troubles that I can see. It is a piece of cake. There has been some effort trying to discover what flags were really required to boot the installer and as a result we have a mess in the guide with many suggestions (most of which are unnecessary). My goal was to narrow them down a bit...

I used Clover guide from start and did not have any pleasure of figuring out what is wrong with installer. But I got messed up royally with my desktop upgrade from Lion. thanks to old 3rd party oemSmbios.kext plugin.

That can be a problem with old installs with old stuff on them...

Another thing, the brightness issue is still there just not so prominent as on 4x30 series and could be fixed with brisk power button keystroke that conveniently puts screen to sleep, when it wakes up - it is slightly brighter.

So far, I can't notice any difference, but I'll try to look harder. My eyes may not be that good of a judge of relative brightness without an A/B test (eg. side-by-side).

Make sure you get latest F42 BIOS on it as well.

Eventually...

BCM94322HM8L had some issue with 10.8.5 (resets connection every minute or so), but 9280 is rock solid on 10.8.5 and 10.9. Given you update region to 00 in EEPROM - the console warnings would go away. BTW, I noticed higher WiFi speed (real throughput) with 9280, almost 2x (referring to 5GHZ band only). May be because of my WiFi access points are Atheros as well.

I was thinking of looking for an 'ac' setup, but I think I'll wait until that is more mature. I'm not ready to upgrade my router anyway. And the 9285 has served my needs well in my 4530s, the 9280 should be even better.

So thanks for the link!

I was thinking of looking for an 'ac' setup, but I think I'll wait until that is more mature. I'm not ready to upgrade my router anyway. And the 9285 has served my needs well in my 4530s, the 9280 should be even better.

So thanks for the link!

I have the BCM94322HM8L. Sometimes I have a few issues with it. If I leave the house putting the machine to sleep and take it to work once I wake it the wifi will not connect, I have to reboot.

Wonder if I should get a 9285?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back