Contribute
Register

RehabMan SSDT trick used to disable unsupported Nvidia and keep it in pcie slot while using Mojave

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi there.

Well the best you are going to see doing this is non-accelerated graphics with glitches and tears - if you can make it work.

I can see your logic, but SSDT-DiscreteSpoof.aml was only really designed to allow access to the Installer, and doesn't disable the GPU. It just seems to null the IDs, which I guess is as intended as there is no 'Method (_OFF' in this technique. Carrying this forward into a running build I am not sure about ...

Remember too you should have SSDT-EC.aml in the patched folder as well.

If you need to keep the 1070 wired in because you dual-boot then I would recommend you simply turn-off the GPU using @RehabMan 's guide as this obviously patches ACPI only for macOS.

Personally I would not go to the trouble of using _DSM because I don't see the whole gain here. Well except perhaps avoiding having to unplug and replug HDMI when you dual boot ...

Maybe let me know why you need to go down this route?

:)
Hi again, sorry for the late reply, but I've in quarantine away from my home.
My setup is:
  • both 1070 and HD 630 plugged to the monitor (DP and HDMI respectively), 1070 as primary GPU in the BIOS.
  • Windows boot manager as first boot choice, clover as second choice.
the behavior I'd like to get is:
  • booting the PC, Windows 10 through the 1070 (that's OK already).
  • booting the PC, POST showed by the 1070, F11 to boot another device, I select Clover, 1070 turns off (here's the problem, it doesn't turn off), monitor automatically switches to HDMI source (HD 630), Catalina with graphic acceleration via iGPU and 1070 is disabled/OFF.
I'm not able to make the 1070 turn off, I tried the Discrete Spoof from Rehabman, the nvidia device properties via clover and the -wegnoegpu bootflag, but with no luck. Clover is still getting displayed by the 1070, which remains active no matter what. The path of the 1070 is \_SB.PCI0.PEG0.PEGP

I basically want to dual boot my PC without having to unplug the display port cable from the 1070 to use macOS, otherwise the monitor auto switches to Display Port input (1070) as soon as Catalina turns off the monitor for energy-saving purposes and it shows clover verbose, then I have to manually change input to the HD 630 to use Catalina again. Sorry if it sounds confusing but it's not that easy to explain by using words.
What would you suggest me to do? I could extract the DSDT.aml file, decompile it and remove every reference to the 1070 path and compile it back. The guide to disable discrete GPU from rehabman you mentioned is meant for laptops though.

Hi again, sorry for the late reply, but I've in quarantine away from my home.
My setup is:
  • both 1070 and HD 630 plugged to the monitor (DP and HDMI respectively), 1070 as primary GPU in the BIOS.
  • Windows boot manager as first boot choice, clover as second choice.
the behavior I'd like to get is:
  • booting the PC, Windows 10 through the 1070 (that's OK already).
  • booting the PC, POST showed by the 1070, F11 to boot another device, I select Clover, 1070 turns off (here's the problem, it doesn't turn off), monitor automatically switches to HDMI source (HD 630), Catalina with graphic acceleration via iGPU and 1070 is disabled/OFF.
I'm not able to make the 1070 turn off, I tried the Discrete Spoof from Rehabman, the nvidia device properties via clover and the -wegnoegpu bootflag, but with no luck. Clover is still getting displayed by the 1070, which remains active no matter what. The path of the 1070 is \_SB.PCI0.PEG0.PEGP

I basically want to dual boot my PC without having to unplug the display port cable from the 1070 to use macOS, otherwise the monitor auto switches to Display Port input (1070) as soon as Catalina turns off the monitor for energy-saving purposes and it shows clover verbose, then I have to manually change input to the HD 630 to use Catalina again. Sorry if it sounds confusing but it's not that easy to explain by using words.
What would you suggest me to do? I could extract the DSDT.aml file, decompile it and remove every reference to the 1070 path and compile it back. The guide to disable discrete GPU from rehabman you mentioned is meant for laptops though.

Hi there.

Hope you are well after the quarantine :thumbup:

As for the problem ... I think you should do more testing. For example the DisplayPort might include a "switch" that senses when a cable is plugged in to the port. I am not 100% sure myself, but it is something you need to check if everything works okay when you disconnect the cable. If there is a switch then no amount of ACPI coding will stop the behaviour. (It might not be a physical switch but an electronic one etc).

As an example of what I mean, with my eSATA external SSD drive, it takes power from a USB port when operating and connected in eSATA mode. If I disconnect the eSATA cable it operates in standard USB2 mode. No way around that.

The reason I lean towards this idea is because neither @RehabMan 's ACPI patching or the Whatevergreen -wegnoegpu toggle will work. That's unusual.

Hi there.

Hope you are well after the quarantine :thumbup:

As for the problem ... I think you should do more testing. For example the DisplayPort might include a "switch" that senses when a cable is plugged in to the port. I am not 100% sure myself, but it is something you need to check if everything works okay when you disconnect the cable. If there is a switch then no amount of ACPI coding will stop the behaviour. (It might not be a physical switch but an electronic one etc).

As an example of what I mean, with my eSATA external SSD drive, it takes power from a USB port when operating and connected in eSATA mode. If I disconnect the eSATA cable it operates in standard USB2 mode. No way around that.

The reason I lean towards this idea is because neither @RehabMan 's ACPI patching or the Whatevergreen -wegnoegpu toggle will work. That's unusual.
Yeah, I'm fine, thanks.

I have the -v bootflag, in my current situation the verbose is shown by the 1070, no errors, and it gets to the end, with the last white text lines stuck displayed. In this situation, if I switch to HDMI input (HD 630), I can use Catalina, I have hardware acceleration and everything works perfectly, but as soon as the monitor (on HDMI input, HD 630) goes to sleep, the monitor itself switches back to the DP, which still shows the verbose output from the 1070, which is therefore active. So I have to manually switch back to HDMI input, that's why I still think it's an ACPI related behavior.

What guide from RehabMan are you specifically talking about? this one? https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-disabling-discrete-graphics-in-dual-gpu-laptops.163772/

Do you think it's a viable option to try to disable the 1070 by patching that device out from the DSDT?

Yeah, I'm fine, thanks.

I have the -v bootflag, in my current situation the verbose is shown by the 1070, no errors, and it gets to the end, with the last white text lines stuck displayed. In this situation, if I switch to HDMI input (HD 630), I can use Catalina, I have hardware acceleration and everything works perfectly, but as soon as the monitor (on HDMI) goes to sleep, the monitor itself switches back to the DP, which still shows the verbose output from the 1070, which is therefore active. So I have to switch back to HDMI input, that's why I still think it's an ACPI related behavior.

What guide from RehabMan are you specifically talking about? this one? https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-disabling-discrete-graphics-in-dual-gpu-laptops.163772/

Do you think it's a viable option to try to disable the 1070 by patching that device out DSDT?

Have you checked-out @CaseySJ 's Z390 build? No reason you should really, but if you look at the end of his build in Post #1 you will see an SSDT - SSDT-Designare-Z390-Disable-Slot-1-GPU.aml.

I was looking through it and the patch - Method (_SB.PCI0.PEG0.PEGP - is the same as yours, so it is worth checking against your code to see if you can spot any important differences. :thumbup:

Have you checked-out @CaseySJ 's Z390 build? No reason you should really, but if you look at the end of his build in Post #1 you will see an SSDT - SSDT-Designare-Z390-Disable-Slot-1-GPU.aml.

I was looking through it and the patch - Method (_SB.PCI0.PEG0.PEGP - is the same as yours, so it is worth checking against your code to see if you can spot any important differences. :thumbup:
Thanks for your patience and advice! Sadly, it doesn't work either, the 1070 doesn't go black after POST.
is it normal that I can still find the device in my IOReg?
I think I'm giving up, I'll temporarily unplug the Display Port cable.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-03-25 at 23.53.12.png
    Screenshot 2020-03-25 at 23.53.12.png
    226.6 KB · Views: 95
Hey guys, anyone able to do this ssdt trick for me? I have tried for hours but don't have the needed knowledge to do it. I want to keep my GTX1080ti in my pc while using my i9 9900k - UHD630 internal graphics adapter for GPU. The rest of my build is working perfectly. (Bluetooth, ethernet, audio, iGPU with acceleration if i remove the GPU, etc) Such a hassle to have to take out my GPU everytime i want to use the Mac side of my PC...

My specs are:
MacOS Catalina 10.15.5
MSI 370A Gaming Plus MOBO
i9 9900K CPU
Gigabyte Aorus GTX1080ti
Hyper X Predator 4 x 8GB 3600mhz Modules

I will attach my Origin folder

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• origin.zip
    62.4 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:
Hey guys, anyone able to do this ssdt trick for me? I have tried for hours but don't have the needed knowledge to do it. I want to keep my GTX1080ti in my pc while using my i9 9900k - UHD630 internal graphics adapter for GPU. The rest of my build is working perfectly. (Bluetooth, ethernet, audio, iGPU with acceleration if i remove the GPU, etc) Such a hassle to have to take out my GPU everytime i want to use the Mac side of my PC...

My specs are:
MacOS Catalina 10.15.5
MSI 370A Gaming Plus MOBO
i9 9900K CPU
Gigabyte Aorus GTX1080ti
Hyper X Predator 4 x 8GB 3600mhz Modules

I will attach my Origin folder

Thanks in advance

Hi there.

As an alternative, assuming you have Whatevergreen.kext installed, just add the "-wegnoegpu" command to your boot arguments.

You can enter it from Clover, or you can edit it in to your config.plist using Clover Configurator.

:thumbup:

Hi there.

As an alternative, assuming you have Whatevergreen.kext installed, just add the "-wegnoegpu" command to your boot arguments.

You can enter it from Clover, or you can edit it in to your config.plist using Clover Configurator.

:thumbup:
Thanks for your reply. Should i plug into mobo DP adapter or GPU if I do that?

Yay! working! Thanks so much. I only have to switch my monitor between DP mobo to DP GPU now for booting mac/windows bootup!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back