i5
Graphics
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hello, I was just wondering how much of an impact a case has on audio interference. I have a really cheap case, super thin metal, and I'm getting a fair amount of interference when recording guitar, etc. I was wondering if a new case would be likely to help with this? I have a Power Mac G5 in the closet that is pretty heavy duty, would that be a good bet for a new case if so?

Thanks!
Drew

Would the interference sound happen when the GPU is under a little load, such as scrolling through a web page or moving around in your DAW's arrangement page ?

I had a similar problem which was most likely due to a ground loop issue in the electrics. What greatly helped was getting a decent power extension with grounding and surge protection built in it. I would then have all my equipment plugged into that.

Another way would be to purchase something like an "ART DTI" which would remove the humming out of the signal chain.
Though I never got to try this method myself as I had recently upgraded to a new audio interface which had its own power supply. I'm guessing this problem is more prone to happen on USB powered interfaces as my new interface seemed to fix it.

Getting a thicker case will not help.
FYI, you can't just plug an electric guitar in a computers's soundcard without suffering the consequences. El. guitar needs a very high impedance input and lots of clean gain.
Plug everything in the same grounded power outlet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back