CPU
i7-8850H/C240
Graphics
UHD 630 / GTX 1050Ti, 3840x2160
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
One of the last things I'm trying to get a handle on with this ThinkPad X1 Extreme is the fan noise. Thing just whines downloading something. Never hear the fans in Windows except when gaming and I have it mostly under control in Pop!_OS although sometimes it will rev up for what appears to be no reason.

I have dGPU disabled--seemed to help a little, I guess... think it was mostly placebo effect. FakeSMC. Tried Mac Fan Control but it says it can't detect any fan sensors. No fan speeds shown in HWMonitor.

What are my options at this point? Is this guide still good for Coffee Lake CPUs--seems like it is mostly for older CPUs:

Thanks in advance for the help! It is driving me nuts.

Attachments

• debug_8870.zip
    3.9 MB · Views: 49
Last edited:
Do you have iGPU acceleration?

Also the Native Power Management guide works for CoffeeLake too.

Do you have iGPU acceleration?

Also the Native Power Management guide works for CoffeeLake too.

Hi, regarding iGPU I have not applied anything specifically for iGPU acceleration that I recall. Really all I have done is disable the dGPU.

Hi, regarding iGPU I have not applied anything specifically for iGPU acceleration that I recall. Really all I have done is disable the dGPU.
Then no iGPU graphics means stress on your CPU, all graphics will be processed through the CPU, its basically doing CPU benchmarks everytime something graphical happens

I have to plead ignorance on this one as it isn't a topic I've come across (or at least recall coming across). I used RehabMan's guide for using the correct base config.plist, which I thought was tied to CPU/iGPU. I'll have to research this some more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back