1. iMac
  2. MacBook
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
Hey I recently wanted a fresh install of Sierra 10.12.6 and I did everything is working fine but my plan is to use File Vault thus I HAVE TO be able to boot on the Recovery Partition and because I'm using the MacPro 5,1 SMBIOS I need to either delete the AppleTyMCEDriver.kext or patch it with Clover. I'm using the last method. But there's the problem the Recovery Partition's OS System is on an Image which gets mounted and I modified the Image (BaseSystem.dmg) in a way that I just deleted AppleTyMCE Driver with rm -f ***.kext and then touch /Vol/Recovery\ HD/S/L/E (it's just shortened text I know the real commands)but well macOS checks some Checksums or has some other stuff going on which is hindering me to boot entirely it just says that it failed to mount the image.
I'm not a noob I have been hacking since 10.6.3 and onwards I'm just missing Mountain Lion but I digress I just always have the problem with the Stupid TyMCEDriver
Side Note: "Yes I know that iMac 14,2 would be best for me but my System is built inside a PowerMac G5 and it would be weird saying well I have a Mac Pro and then oh my god iMac or MacBookPro blabla"

I'm using Clover 4184 and the normal macOS Disk works perfectly no hiccups 2133 MHz OC Ram gets recognized Overclock works and everything else, trim too, sound, sleep, Nvidia, iTunes using Shiki and Lilu
But I Can't get the Recovery HD to work | meh ;-; |

I'm sorry for being such a moron I'm just exhausted I normally get so much stuff to work but oh well maybe someone sees this and has a good Idea

So I basically need a way to patch the Recovery HD so that it can be used with MacPro 5,1 SMBIOS without ECC RAM or a Xeon Processor

Thanks a lot
I hope my English is okay I'm from Germany

EFI is uploaded below

Attachments

• EFI 10.12.6.zip
    15.5 MB · Views: 149
The main system works fine? It is just recovery partition does not work?

Something to think about: Carbon Copy Clover will create a recovery partition for you if there is not one on the drive.
I have restored a recovery partition by cloning the existing drive, deleting the recovery partition and cloning the resulting drive again. CCC asks if I want a Recovery partition I click yes and there it is.
You can then use dd or your favorite method to get the recovery partition on the main drive repaired or just clone the drive with the new working recovery partition back to the original drive.

The main system works fine? It is just recovery partition does not work?

Something to think about: Carbon Copy Clover will create a recovery partition for you if there is not one on the drive.
I have restored a recovery partition by cloning the existing drive, deleting the recovery partition and cloning the resulting drive again. CCC asks if I want a Recovery partition I click yes and there it is.
You can then use dd or your favorite method to get the recovery partition on the main drive repaired or just clone the drive with the new working recovery partition back to the original drive.

I have done it I enabled FileVault and the System works fine I enter my Password and the SSD Decrypts and sends me to the desktop so the Recovery HD works just fine *I didn't do your fix it apparently generated fine*

BUT
The problem is I can't boot from the Recovery HD because it's got an BaseSystem.dmg which it boots from and there is a really shitty kext in it called TyMCEDriver.kext which prohibits any MacPro 4,1 and 5,1 SMBIOS from booting when the system is lacking ECC Ram thus I have a kext Patch in my config.plist on my EFI Clover Partition which patches it so that it's lacking any functionality so, letting me boot into my Macintosh HD but the problem is that If I change the BaseSystem.dmg on my Recovery HD in any way it prohibits me from booting from my Recovery HD in any way like I said and it just kernel panics because it couldn't verify the BaseSystem.dmg is there a trick to it ?

Is there any way to overcome this protection ? I mean SIP should be disabled

I have done it I enabled FileVault and the System works fine I enter my Password and the SSD Decrypts and sends me to the desktop so the Recovery HD works just fine *I didn't do your fix it apparently generated fine*

BUT
The problem is I can't boot from the Recovery HD because it's got an BaseSystem.dmg which it boots from and there is a really shitty kext in it called TyMCEDriver.kext which prohibits any MacPro 4,1 and 5,1 SMBIOS from booting when the system is lacking ECC Ram thus I have a kext Patch in my config.plist on my EFI Clover Partition which patches it so that it's lacking any functionality so, letting me boot into my Macintosh HD but the problem is that If I change the BaseSystem.dmg on my Recovery HD in any way it prohibits me from booting from my Recovery HD in any way like I said and it just kernel panics because it couldn't verify the BaseSystem.dmg is there a trick to it ?

I do not understand why you have this problem. I am using MacPro5,1 system definition and have the patch in Clover for it.
I can boot the system and select either the Mac OS icon or the recovery icon and either one will boot. The Clover patches are applied during the Clover boot and the DMG file in the recovery partition has nothing to do with it. It needs nothing further than the patch in the Clover config.plist. Attached is mine for your reference.

Screen Shot 2017-08-31 at 6.05.43 PM.png

Attachments

• config.plist
    5.5 KB · Views: 306
I do not understand why you have this problem. I am using MacPro5,1 system definition and have the patch in Clover for it.
I can boot the system and select either the Mac OS icon or the recovery icon and either one will boot. The Clover patches are applied during the Clover boot and the DMG file in the recovery partition has nothing to do with it. It needs nothing further than the patch in the Clover config.plist. Attached is mine for your reference.

View attachment 275890
Thanks I'll look into that replying soon and thanks

So I also used your method for getting TyMCE to work and it also works on my main System but again not on the Recovery HD
It won't work on the install USB 10.12.6 (Vanilla no Multibeast) either.: booting from Macintosh HD (Clover) and then trying to boot into macOS Installer

what am I doing wrong maybe it works for you because you actually have an X58 Chipset which the Xeon's in the MacPro5,1 can run on

See my Uploaded video first: Do I need a patched DSDT and/or SSDT ? because it's saying something about ACPI family or is it just because of TyMCEDriver fix not working ?
googledrive/video: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3YoziZpa6krZzV0ZWhneUdEeHM/view?usp=sharing

Modded Stuff (Only Edited Plists it's not because of this):
Mac Pro (Early 2016) | Mac Pro (Mid 2010)
4.46 GHz 4-Core Intel Xeon | 3,5 GHz Intel Core i5
NVIDIA Quadro M4000 4095 MB | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 4095 MB

Skærmbillede 2017-09-01 kl. 15.27.44.png

Recovery HD Directory Tree:

Root
Skærmbillede 2017-09-01 kl. 15.54.23.png

com.apple.recovery.boot
Skærmbillede 2017-09-01 kl. 15.54.37.png

iCloud FaceTime iMessage AppStore iTunes + Shiki are also Working Perfectly fine and also FileVault like I said so it is really weird my, EFI is attached below PLEASE NOT THAT THE CPU UNKNOWN TAG IS ONLY BECAUSE OF THE About This Mac Modding and isn't affecting the Recovery HD I tested the Recovery HD before and after the mods no difference

Attachments

• EFI FileVault.zip
    24.2 MB · Views: 161
Last edited:
OK, I think I see your problem after re-reading your OP. Are you not aware of the fact that FileVault disables recovery from the Recovery partition? From Apple:
The object of Filevault is so that no access is possible via any other means except the secure path laid out with a fully running OS X to ensure your data is secure. This is a very secure and limited access state intentional to supply the security provided.
The Recovery Partition is just a tiny program on a partition, the window asking for your password shouldn't have appeared at all.
If the Recovery Partition allowed a unlocking of a Filevault drive, that code could be easily cloned, altered and used to crack any Mac with Filevault with a simple USB key.

IMHO, Filevault is a complete waste of time and effort for most users, it hogs CPU cycles, slows down one's machine and disables recovery options if OS X fails to boot as one can't decrypt the image and simply recover files using a alternative means (like Firewire Target Disk Mode for instance)
For most users it is better to leave Filevault alone and use individual file/folder encryption software on just the items they need.
My own setup is a drive for project files that is encrypted and nothing on the OS drive except the OS.

OTOH, you can now store your recovery keys in the Cloud - https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204837

Last edited:
OK, I think I see your problem after re-reading your OP. Are you not aware of the fact that FileVault disables recovery from the Recovery partition? From Apple:

IMHO, Filevault is a complete waste of time and effort for most users, it hogs CPU cycles, slows down one's machine and disables recovery options if OS X fails to boot as one can't decrypt the image and simply recover files using a alternative means (like Firewire Target Disk Mode for instance)
For most users it is better to leave Filevault alone and use individual file/folder encryption software on just the items they need.
My own setup is a drive for project files that is encrypted and nothing on the OS drive except the OS.

OTOH, you can now store your recovery keys in the Cloud - https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204837

Thank you really much for explaining you actually were really helpful! <3
But it doesn't solve the problem that I can't boot any Installer disk from Clover while using MacPro5,1 would this be off Topic ? Kinda not I think because the TyMCEDriver ist still the problem I even tried taking out all the HDA fixes and such and even just copying the smbios to the clover.plist on the usb stick and vice versa

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back