Contribute
Register

Recording Studio Hackintosh Can I take working files from my iMac?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD5 TH
CPU
i7-4770K
Graphics
RX 580, HD4600
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
I just build my first Hackintosh running OS 10.8.5

GA-Z87X-UD5-TH motherboard

Core i7-4770K
3.5Ghz

16gb ram
no graphics card
250gb ssd hd

Using Apogee Ensemble
UAD quad satellite
M-Audio keystation 32
M-audio Axiom 49

Logic X
Pro Tools 10
Studio One

A few minor yet annoying issues have come up. My Axiom 49 keyboard works just fine, but my Keystation 32 is not recognized at all. Also, with the apogee ensemble, my volume keys on my qwerty keyboard don't work. Before I built this Hackintosh I was running an Imac from 2008 with Mountain Lion, and all the same software. On the iMac, I didn't have either of these issues. I'm wondering if it had something to do with the fact that on the new Hackintosh I'm installing everything fresh where on the iMac I had updated from earlier versions. Is there any way I can maybe take some of the system files related to the ensemble, or to my key station 32 from my iMac and put them on my Hackintosh to get it to work right? Or does anyone else have any ideas on this? Searching the internet shows that apparently both of those problems are bugs that haven't been fixed, yet everything works fine on my iMac.

Also, most of the time my computer starts just fine and everything works, but from time to time it goes to a white screen right when my normal desktop screen would normally appear. Restarting seems to solve this problem, but I still seem to get this once every 3 or 4 times I start the computer. The only other people I've found with this problem can't seem to get past it at all.

Any advice is much appreciated!

If you can find a program, like Carbon clone, and attach your new hard drive to your old computer and clone the operating system. You should be able to boot from the usb upbeats to get in to the operating system to then run multi beast and install the boot loader to the cloned image.

There are some issues that could be problems, like is the new drive large enough to hold the data from the old computer.

I'm sure it's possible, just how much time you want to invest. Now that I am sitting here thinking more about it. If you can open your real mac, I'd clone the drive, swap drives so that the new system drive is in the mac. Boot it, run multi beast and configure like it's the new machine. Then instead of rebooting, I'd shut down. Then put the new drive in the new machine.

First I would boot your current install with the boot flag -v, and see what is hanging up.

I have personally found USB to be a big issue. A source of odd things like sometimes this works, and other times the computer doesn't want to wake from sleep. Had to switch from a genuine Apple bluetooth to the recommended one. My computer refused to recognize the Apple one as wake from lan capable after I made the mistake of moving it to a different motherboard header. I try not to use the usb 3 ports. Have you installed the universal usb 3 driver? There are settings for the onboard usb, can you find a golden build and copy those settings?

Good luck!

Thanks for your help! I made a clone of my iMac HD with carbon copy cloner. I am able to boot my imac using it. I tried using the unibeast boot loader to boot from my cloned iMac HD but got nowhere, I couldn't get it to even boot in safe mode. I'm not sure what to do there, or if that solution will even solve the problem that I have anyway. I think for now I might just be stuck getting a different keyboard and not being able to use my volume keys to control the ensemble. I will post if I do find a solution.

For the white screen issue, the last few restarts I used that -V to see where it was hanging up. Everything went by too quick for me to read it, then the screen went white after all the booting info was gone. As far as I could tell, all the info was the same weather it went to the white screen or actually started up. after everything loads up, the point in time where my desktop screen would normally show up, thats where I'm getting the white screen. So it is getting through everything except the very last part.

I feel dumb for not trying this sooner, but I got my m-audio keystation 32 working. All I needed to do was unplug the usb from the keyboard, restart, and then plug it back in once the computer was up and running. For some reason having it plugged in while the computer was booting caused it not to be recognized. It was weird because once the computer was on before, I unplugged it and plugged it back in and still got nothing. As long as it isn't plugged in when the computer is booting, everything seems to be fine now.

Still getting that white screen from time to time and no volume keys working with the ensemble. Oh, well. I guess you can't have everything.

I know this is an old post but there are known driver issues with the ensemble even for legit macs.. Something about the drivers are different and glitchy. I called apogee and they suggested I go to an older os ,

I know this is an old post but there are known driver issues with the ensemble even for legit macs.. Something about the drivers are different and glitchy. I called apogee and they suggested I go to an older os ,

I agree. I am running both Mountain Lion and Snow Leopard with an Apogee ensemble. With Snow Leopard (my primary system) everything runs flawlessly including keyboard control of ensemble volume. However, this is not the case with Mountain Lion. I use the Maestro interface (or the old fashioned turning knobs by hand) when I'm using audio/ensemble with Mountain Lion. :)

Update: have just completed a quick Sierra build (in the same machine) and found that if I switch the Ensemble ON during the boot process, it is recognised and I now have keyboard control of the Ensemble! I will try a few kexts to see if I can solve this. However, for now, this is cool workaround for those of you using an Ensemble unit with Sierra (IF you have had any keyboard control issues that is!....and if not, please let me know!).
Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back