Contribute
Register

Recommendation for music production 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
consider the used market for a cooler since they don't wear out (other than the fan maybe). there is a D15 for $80 on that auction site we all know and love. Spending money on a cooler is a hard pill to swallow but it should be a priority for your intended use.
Understand will have to spend a bit more then!

these coolers need wires or it comes in the box?
:?: Not sure what you mean here…
The cooler fan needs to be plugged to a motherboard fan header, preferably the one that is intended for this use so BIOS fan control works, and, obviously, the wire comes as part of the fan.

For ease of installation, you really should consider buying the now rare Gigabyte Z390m for the 9900k. It's MATX, has 2x NVME slots but doesn't have a Thunderbold header (but you could use a card), but it's worth it alone for @pastrychef has the most stable EFI folder I've ever used, it simply works and you just drag and drop, no worries with USB config etc, he's done all the technical work himself. This way, you'll have a stable machine for years to come. You'll probably need to install Big Sur to keep up with his latest EFI folders, but I'm sure he still has a few Catalina EFI folder that work with older versions of OpenCore. The most Mac like hack I've ever used.

Thanks for the recommendation, i was actually looking at that model yesterday and its cheaper than the UD version. The model im speaking is just "M" and not "M Gaming" like the signature of @pastrychef is this the same one?

Need to have Catalina and High Sierra in 2 different drives on this machine.

Removed the fenvi BT card for now to keep the tight budget and spend more on the cooler.

:?: Not sure what you mean here…
The cooler fan needs to be plugged to a motherboard fan header, preferably the one that is intended for this use so BIOS fan control works, and, obviously, the wire comes as part of the fan.

Thank you, just wanted to confirm, dont need to purchase a separate cable for the fan/cooler then (its my first build!).

OK. When the time to build comes, study the instructions and take your time. Boot Linux (any distribution, possibly a LiveUSB stick) or Windows to confirm the build is fine and then proceed to hackintosh it.

From Gigabyte's site, Z390 M and M Gaming are different models. There's a dizzying variety of boards. All should be hackable; as long as the boards are available, you may pay attention to minor features (slot distribution, number and kind of USB ports) to select the one that most suits your needs.
Your initial picks were ATX boards, and if you case allows a full size board there's little reason to go micro-ATX.

Reactions: dsb
Should boot Winsows just from a USB to check right, no need for installation?

Is a 750w power supply enough for this processor (i9 9900K)? checked on this power supply calculator site and it recommends using min 400w so with 750w think it has plenty of headroom.

For the cooler think will go with the NH-U12S.

For the MOBO, still undecided between Gigabyte z390 UD V2 or Gigabyte z390 M, the latest has 2x m2/nvme slots and its cheaper, but cant seem to find that many hacks using it so im leaning towards the first one..

Support on the forum is also a fair consideration.
You may use any x4 slot to host an extra M.2 with a simple adapter
(this is just an example, not an endorsement of the vendor or of this particular model)

750W should be more than enough, and the advice to boot another OS is just to check that the build is working, there is no need to install. Looks like you're ready to go…

Should boot Winsows just from a USB to check right, no need for installation?

Is a 750w power supply enough for this processor (i9 9900K)? checked on this power supply calculator site and it recommends using min 400w so with 750w think it has plenty of headroom.

For the cooler think will go with the NH-U12S.

For the MOBO, still undecided between Gigabyte z390 UD V2 or Gigabyte z390 M, the latest has 2x m2/nvme slots and its cheaper, but cant seem to find that many hacks using it so im leaning towards the first one..

I use a Gigabyte Z390 M. Link to my build thread is below in my signature.

In terms of power supply, even a 400W power supply is plenty for the CPU. What you need to worry about is whether the power supply can sufficiently power your video card.

Last edited:
Support on the forum is also a fair consideration.
You may use any x4 slot to host an extra M.2 with a simple adapter
(this is just an example, not an endorsement of the vendor or of this particular model)

750W should be more than enough, and the advice to boot another OS is just to check that the build is working, there is no need to install. Looks like you're ready to go…
Thanks again, almost ready to go undecided between the MOBO's and had an older friend from a friend saying these components are not good for a hackintosh i was like what you talking about? he said those MOBO's not good blah blah, it will not work properly... Well i have high hopes as i can not buy a new mac (kinda), well im spending the same as an M1 MacMini would cost but i think its not fast enough and not compatible with most things i use.

I use a Gigabyte Z390 M. Link to my build thread is below in my signature.

In terms of power supply, even a 400W power supply is plenty for the CPU. What you need to worry about is whether the power supply can sufficiently power your video card.
In your signature i see "Gigabyte z390 M Gaming" that is out of my budget unfortunately, the one im talking about is just "Gigabyte z390 M".

As far as I know, most or all Z390 boards should be hackable. Boards with a success report here are certainly hackable, and if there is a full guide you should be all set, including ALC profile and possibly even a working USB map.
Maybe the friend of your friend should spend some time lurking here…

Im going for the Gigabyte Z390 UD cause i did not found any build with Gigabyte Z390 M (just M not Gaming).

@stickybud73 thats exactly why im going for this mobo! Only found this build for it, but giving it a try, if it doesn't work will then try the Dortania guide.

Guys, do you think i better hold my horses and wait for black friday to get the components? I have a deal now for the i9 9900k for 300eur that cant find anywhere else, do you think most of the components will be cheaper on BF?

Thanks again for the suggestions, much appreciated, hope to get this working till the end of the year!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back