Contribute
Register

Recommendation for music production 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
If the OP specifically asked for High Sierra and Catalina, I guess he doesn't want to update his licence, so M1 is out of the equation.
Bargain opportunities on RAM, SSD, case, power supply are a possibility. 9th gen. CPU is not "obsolete", it's quite competitive with 10th gen., but less likely to be discounted, unless the shop wants to empty its shelves. I wouldn't wait for the motherboard, especially if supply is limited, because it is the most specific part in the build list.

If it's just Logic you need, I'd wait until the first M1x Mac Mini's come out. If you're busting your balls (and bank) for a specific task using an old OS (High Sierra-Catalina) on 2nd hand obsolete hardware, you should wait for black friday, although older parts don't often get discounted for their rarity. Good luck.
Like said through the posts this build is for High Sierra and Catalina on separate volumes. These may be old but its what i need to have for the next couple of years, im not one of those that update to the latest and greatest just want/need a working decent computer, after all im coming from a MacPro 5.1!!! So i see this as a massive upgrade, even if you consider them obsolete. All the material im buying is brand new, nothing 2nd hand here.
And just like @etorix saying, i9 9900K is still very competitive. MacMini with new M1 processor will only be released next year (no one is even sure when) and cant run these "obsolete" operating systems. Also if you aware of plug ins, most are not even working under M1 and are not native, ive been producing music for almost 20yrs you can imagine the amount of plug ins i need working! and im ditching quite a few 32bit ones for the sake of having a new computer.

Finally got all the components and for my first ever build im quite happy the computer turned on first time!
BIOS is loading fine too. Will start with OC configs this week, hope it goes well as the build!

What ive got:
Gigabyte z390 UD
i9 9900K
Noctua NH-D15S
Corsair Vengeance 3200Mhz (2x8gb)
WD Blue SN550 Nvme
NZXT C650 PSU
Arctic P12 Silent fan (x3) (rear and bottom)
Arctic P14 Silent fan (x1) (top)
Jonsbo UMX6 case (vertical airflow)

One question, I have mounted the Noctua cpu cooler vertically as the case has this airflow, is this ok?
Fan config: bottom intake: 2x12mm, rear exhaust: 1x12mm, top exhaust: 1x14mm. Could add 2 more to the top but think its enough for now.

One question, I have mounted the Noctua cpu cooler vertically as the case has this airflow, is this ok?

Either way should be fine.

Reactions: dsb
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back