Contribute
Register

Recommend a graphics card that I can EASILY swap my old Nvidia GT 740 for?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte ga-z97x-ud5h
CPU
Intel i7-4790K
Graphics
Sapphire Nitro+ RX 580
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. Mac Pro
Hi all,

Here are my specs:

- I have GeForce GT 740

- Motherboard: ga-z97x-ud5h

- Intel Core i7-4790K CPU

- 32 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

- System Definition: iMac (27-inch, Late 2013)

- Using clover 5.22

My comp can barely run any 3D games, so I want the easiest way to upgrade it. I am really dumb with hackintoshes and don't wanna get bricked. Anything that I can just keep all the same settings with no issue would be ideal!

Also, any advice on the procedure would be greatly appreciated. Years ago I had help to build this thing and I've never felt any kinda mastery over it.

One of these RX560s will work for basic gaming. Should be plug and play if you are using WEG kext already.

One of these RX560s will work for basic gaming. Should be plug and play if you are using WEG kext already.

Thank you! I’m actually wanting something fairly robust, that can handle modern AAA at a fairly high frame rate and resolution. Anything similar you can recommend, or would this be able to handle that?

Thank you! I’m actually wanting something fairly robust, that can handle modern AAA at a fairly high frame rate and resolution. Anything similar you can recommend, or would this be able to handle that?
Ask @pastrychef about this. He owns the card and games with it. Don't think he plays the latest AAA games with it.

If you can spend about twice as much, get the AMD RX6600XT. That should play all the latest AAA games quite easily. Note that this would require the install of Monterey for it to work in macOS.

If you stay on Mojave, your video card choices will be limited to RX 500-series or Vega cards.

If you upgrade to the latest Monterey, you can use RDNA2 cards. 6800, 6800 XT, or 6900 XT should allow you to run AAA titles at 1440p or 4K.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back