Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hi

I currently have an Intel motherboard that I use for my hackintosh but it doesn't work well and has a bunch of problems. I need to get a new board that will work with My i5-2500K and GTX 560 that I already have. I also need to be able to run 10.8 Mountain Lion on it and 10.9 Mavericks when it comes out. I would like everything to work OOB. My budget is around $150. If you have an suggested compatible boards please let me know.

Thank You

I´m using the Gigabyte z68x-ud3h-b3 and it has been running perfect for since i set it up. and i have the same processor as you do. im also running the f12 bios but you can run the UEFI.

Good luck on what ever you choose...

not sure about 10.9 Mavericks

Hi

I currently have an Intel motherboard that I use for my hackintosh but it doesn't work well and has a bunch of problems. I need to get a new board that will work with My i5-2500K and GTX 560 that I already have. I also need to be able to run 10.8 Mountain Lion on it and 10.9 Mavericks when it comes out. I would like everything to work OOB. My budget is around $150. If you have an suggested compatible boards please let me know.

Thank You

There's really only one Gigabyte Z68 that's still readily available (i.e. not discontinued). It's the GA-Z68XP-UD3, and runs around $120 (but there's a $30 rebate available on it from Newegg at the moment, making it $90).

However, why Z68? Why not buy a Z77 based board? They all support Sandy Bridge CPUs as well as Ivy Bridge, and you won't be buying 2011 technology. The GA-Z77-DS3H is on the recommended hardware list in the Buyer's Guide, costs about $105, and has some nice features, like an mSATA slot for an SSD.

There's really only one Gigabyte Z68 that's still readily available (i.e. not discontinued). It's the GA-Z68XP-UD3, and runs around $120 (but there's a $30 rebate available on it from Newegg at the moment, making it $90).

However, why Z68? Why not buy a Z77 based board? They all support Sandy Bridge CPUs as well as Ivy Bridge, and you won't be buying 2011 technology. The GA-Z77-DS3H is on the recommended hardware list in the Buyer's Guide, costs about $105, and has some nice features, like an mSATA slot for an SSD.

If I were to get a Z77 board would I need to do anymore work to get the computer up and running then if I got the Z68 board you mentioned?

Thanks

If I were to get a Z77 board would I need to do anymore work to get the computer up and running then if I got the Z68 board you mentioned?

Thanks

No, in fact it will probably be easier since the Z77 comes with UEFI BIOS so you don't need a DSDT (unless you want to configure HDMI audio).

Also I cant find out if sleep and wake work on the GA-Z77-DS3H in Mountain Lion. Does anyone know?

Thanks

Ok so I think im going to go with the GA-Z77-DS3H. Do you have any recommended CPU coolers? I would like to overclock my CPU a little bit.

Thank You

Edit: Does this one look good?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103065

If you're planning on overclocking, I would highly recommend springing for a liquid cooling solution, such as the Corsair H60 (recommended in the Buyer's Guide): http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835181030.

Also I cant find out if sleep and wake work on the GA-Z77-DS3H in Mountain Lion. Does anyone know?

Thanks

Did you even try the search bar? Put the motherboard model in the search field, hit enter, and you'll get tons of results of successful build writeups with this motherboard, most of which mention that sleep works. Hint: you'll find these builds useful if you run into problems with your own. The search bar is arguably the most valuable resource on this site.

Did you even try the search bar? Put the motherboard model in the search field, hit enter, and you'll get tons of results of successful build writeups with this motherboard, most of which mention that sleep works. Hint: you'll find these builds useful if you run into problems with your own. The search bar is arguably the most valuable resource on this site.

I did use the search bar and some people say sleep works but a lot of others say it doesn't. It wasn't clear

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back