Contribute
Register

Recent Build (April 2018), previous OS (10.12.6) ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GIGABYTE GA-Z270X-Ultra Gaming
CPU
i7-7700K
Graphics
GTX 1070 SC
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi,

I'm a new user in the Hackintosh community and was wondering if the most recent build (April 2018) would works with a previous OS X version (10.12.6 / Sierra, instead of High Sierra)

Should I be using MultiBeast 10.2 or the MultiBeast - Sierra 9.2.1 since I would use a 300 serie Motherboard?

Thanks to help me out with that!

Last edited:
If ever this could help, here's the setup from the Buying's guide I'm looking for :
  • Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Gaming WIFI ATX
  • Core i7-8700K
  • Crucial Ballistix Sport LT (64GB)
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB
  • Corsair RM 650x Watt
  • EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 SC Black
  • Gigabyte GC-ALPINE RIDGE Thunderbolt3 Certified PCI-E Expansion card Rev 2.0
  • And a water cooler

Use High Sierra and Multibeast 10.2. There's no good reason to start with Sierra on a Z370 system.

The good reason is a software compatibility problem. I have to keep Final Cut Pro 7 (that isn't anymore compatible with High Sierra)!

I'm looking to install Sierra on a Z370 motherboard if that's possible, to have the option to update afterwards if necessary

The good reason is a software compatibility problem. I have to keep Final Cut Pro 7 (that isn't anymore compatible with High Sierra)!

I'm looking to install Sierra on a Z370 motherboard if that's possible, to have the option to update afterwards if necessary.

Since Coffee Lake is only natively supported in High Sierra, it is best to use High Sierra on a Coffee Lake system like the one you intend to build. To use an older OS it is best (or necessary) to get a system that is supported by that OS.

But if you insist on trying to install Sierra, it might be possible, but it involves using FakeCPUID to spoof the CPU as something else that Sierra supports, for example a Kaby Lake CPU, for which the ID is 0x0906E9. Do you know how to use it?

I use FakeCPUID to fake the CPU in my Kaby Lake system as a Skylake (0x0506E3) so that it can also run El Capitan in addition to Sierra and High Sierra, so running a slightly older OS on a new system may be possible.

Now I don't have a Coffee Lake system myself so I don't know if this will work. If you go ahead and build the system you will have to try this yourself. Such a configuration may also have other unforeseen problems due to lack of native support.

Since Coffee Lake is only natively supported in High Sierra, it is best to use High Sierra on a Coffee Lake system like the one you intend to build. To use an older OS it is best (or necessary) to get a system that is supported by that OS.

But if you insist on trying to install Sierra, it might be possible, but it involves using FakeCPUID to spoof the CPU as something else that Sierra supports, for example a Kaby Lake CPU, for which the ID is 0x0906E9. Do you know how to use it?

Now I don't have a Coffee Lake system myself so I don't know if this will work. If you go ahead and build the system you will have to try this yourself. Such a configuration may also have other unforeseen problems due to lack of native support.
Ah! I understand the limitation.

So I guess a Kaby Lake CPU would work fine with MultiBeast 9 for Sierra.

Would it be possible to upgrade the system to High Sierra once in a while? Or is it just limited to Sierra?

Ah! I understand the limitation.

So I guess a Kaby Lake CPU would work fine with MultiBeast 9 for Sierra.

Would it be possible to upgrade the system to High Sierra once in a while? Or is it just limited to Sierra?

You mean you are considering building a Kaby Lake system instead of a Coffee Lake system?

If so, it is natively supported under MacOS Sierra 10.12.6 and High Sierra. I run El Capitan / Sierra / High Sierra on my Kaby Lake system as stated above, El Capitan via use of a FakeCPUID (since El Capitan only natively supports Skylake).

So yes, if you build a Kaby Lake system you should be able to run Sierra or High Sierra.

You mean you are considering building a Kaby Lake system instead of a Coffee Lake system?

If so, it is natively supported under MacOS Sierra 10.12.6 and High Sierra. I run El Capitan / Sierra / High Sierra on my Kaby Lake system as stated above, El Capitan via use of a FakeCPUID (since El Capitan only natively supports Skylake).

So yes, if you build a Kaby Lake system you should be able to run Sierra or High Sierra.
Sweet, thanks for the info! I appreciate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back