Received SMART hard disk error (301), what's next?

Discussion in 'HP ProBook 4530s' started by intromission, Aug 18, 2017.

1. intromission

intromission

Motherboard:
    GA Z77 DS3H
    CPU:
    I5-2500k
    Graphics:
    Nvidia GForce 210
    Aug 18, 2017 at 5:04 PM #1
    intromission

intromission

Motherboard:
    GA Z77 DS3H
    CPU:
    I5-2500k
    Graphics:
    Nvidia GForce 210
    Hi folks,

My dog accidentally knocked the laptop off the couch a few days ago while it was on.
    When I went to use it the next day, everything seemed a little bit slower, and I was getting
    freezes and spinning beach balls. Without thinking I ran Disk repair from Disk Utility, not
    remembering I have to boot from my Lion thumb drive to do this. Of course all my settings for Lion
    were deleted so I reinstalled all my system definitions last night and everything seemed to be working just fine
    after that. Well, this morning I got that error from the Windows portion of the system, SMART, error 301. It
    went on to boot into Lion just fine and everything still seems to be working as it always did, though the web seems
    to hang more often.

I've read online that some Windows users experience this issue and it can be a false flag or something,
    not requiring a new hard drive, but I'm guessing that's in my future. What's the best course of action at this point?
    Carbon Copy Cloner on everything and then reinstall Snow Leopard->upgrade to Lion on new hard drive?

Didn't see too many mentions of this error on these forums but I'm hoping someone has some suggestions.
    If anything I guess I can upgrade/max out the hard drive, it's still on the original.

Thanks.

2. RehabMan

RehabMan Moderator

Motherboard:
    Intel DH67BL
    CPU:
    Core i7-2600K
    Graphics:
    Intel HD 3000
    Mac:
    MacBook Air
    Mobile Phone:
    iOS
    Aug 18, 2017 at 5:05 PM #2
    RehabMan

RehabMan Moderator

Motherboard:
    Intel DH67BL
    CPU:
    Core i7-2600K
    Graphics:
    Intel HD 3000
    Mac:
    MacBook Air
    Mobile Phone:
    iOS
    Seems likely your HDD is damaged and needs replacement.
    Consider an SSD.