Contribute
Register

Rebranding the Atheros 928x cards - The guide

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah 0x64 was used. Even though that guide seemed to suggest using 0x65 I went with 0x64 as that was what you used.

I'll have to look again to see if anyone makes a conversion cable for the antennas. Otherwise I'll have to reposition them or get different ones.

Yeah 0x64 was used. Even though that guide seemed to suggest using 0x65 I went with 0x64 as that was what you used.

I'll have to look again to see if anyone makes a conversion cable for the antennas. Otherwise I'll have to reposition them or get different ones.

Yeah, at this point I think you're beyond all the software problem (eeprom, fake device-id, etc.) and onto what appears to be a hardware problem.

Yeah at this point that has to be the case.
I'm going to put it in the toshiba laptop and retest it's wifi and probably flash to stock eeprom and see if that changes things.
I can only assume that either there was some ESD that killed part of the card or the antenna leads somehow shorted out that part of the car or the card isn't getting initialized by the bios properly (I highly doubt this is the case).

I'll probably buy another card and give it another shot.

Thanks for all the help with this.

So here is a twist in the situation...

I put the mPCIe card back in my Toshiba laptop and I'm currently connected via WiFi from the Atheros card while it is still branded as an Intel card .. its working using the laptop's built in antenna and it also works via the antennas I bought.
This suggests that there is still some compoenet that is not loading properly with the Lenovo laptop. However I'm not sure what it could be at this point as we know that at least 1 other person has been able to use the adapter card that I am using with OSX but in reality that should have no effect as the antennas are part of the card not the PCIe bus...

As you can see its using the atheros driver with the modified IDs.
Code:
ludacrisvp@ludacrisvp-Satellite-X205:~$ sudo lspci -vnn -d 8086:08b2
0e:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Intel Corporation Wireless 7260 [8086:08b2] (rev 01)
	Subsystem: Intel Corporation Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 [8086:c270]
	Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 18
	Memory at f6200000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=64K]
	Capabilities: [40] Power Management version 2
	Capabilities: [50] MSI: Enable- Count=1/1 Maskable- 64bit-
	Capabilities: [60] Express Legacy Endpoint, MSI 00
	Capabilities: [90] MSI-X: Enable- Count=1 Masked-
	Capabilities: [100] Advanced Error Reporting
	Capabilities: [140] Virtual Channel
	Capabilities: [160] Device Serial Number 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00
	Kernel driver in use: ath9k

ludacrisvp@ludacrisvp-Satellite-X205:~$ iwconfig 
wlan1     IEEE 802.11abgn  ESSID:"WZR-600-5Ghz"  
          Mode:Managed  Frequency:5.2 GHz  Access Point: 10:6F:3F:29:E5:A7   
          Bit Rate=45 Mb/s   Tx-Power=15 dBm   
          Retry short limit:7   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
          Power Management:off
          Link Quality=38/70  Signal level=-72 dBm  
          Rx invalid nwid:0  Rx invalid crypt:0  Rx invalid frag:0
          Tx excessive retries:0  Invalid misc:61   Missed beacon:0

I guess I'll re-connect the mPCIe card to the Lenovo laptop and re-load Linux and OSX and see if I can get it to see any WiFI access points.

So here is a twist in the situation...

I put the mPCIe card back in my Toshiba laptop and I'm currently connected via WiFi from the Atheros card while it is still branded as an Intel card .. its working using the laptop's built in antenna and it also works via the antennas I bought.
This suggests that there is still some compoenet that is not loading properly with the Lenovo laptop. However I'm not sure what it could be at this point as we know that at least 1 other person has been able to use the adapter card that I am using with OSX but in reality that should have no effect as the antennas are part of the card not the PCIe bus...

As you can see its using the atheros driver with the modified IDs.
Code:
ludacrisvp@ludacrisvp-Satellite-X205:~$ sudo lspci -vnn -d 8086:08b2
0e:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Intel Corporation Wireless 7260 [8086:08b2] (rev 01)
	Subsystem: Intel Corporation Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 [8086:c270]
	Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 18
	Memory at f6200000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=64K]
	Capabilities: [40] Power Management version 2
	Capabilities: [50] MSI: Enable- Count=1/1 Maskable- 64bit-
	Capabilities: [60] Express Legacy Endpoint, MSI 00
	Capabilities: [90] MSI-X: Enable- Count=1 Masked-
	Capabilities: [100] Advanced Error Reporting
	Capabilities: [140] Virtual Channel
	Capabilities: [160] Device Serial Number 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00
	Kernel driver in use: ath9k

ludacrisvp@ludacrisvp-Satellite-X205:~$ iwconfig 
wlan1     IEEE 802.11abgn  ESSID:"WZR-600-5Ghz"  
          Mode:Managed  Frequency:5.2 GHz  Access Point: 10:6F:3F:29:E5:A7   
          Bit Rate=45 Mb/s   Tx-Power=15 dBm   
          Retry short limit:7   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
          Power Management:off
          Link Quality=38/70  Signal level=-72 dBm  
          Rx invalid nwid:0  Rx invalid crypt:0  Rx invalid frag:0
          Tx excessive retries:0  Invalid misc:61   Missed beacon:0

I guess I'll re-connect the mPCIe card to the Lenovo laptop and re-load Linux and OSX and see if I can get it to see any WiFI access points.

Is it possible to verify the card works on OS X in the Toshiba?

Is it possible to rebrand and set Regdomain at the same time ?
Maybe it's possible, if we knew which bytes to change...

Yes it should be ... but you then also still need to calculate the CRC properly otherwise the card will not work.

Using ghex ...

The offset of the Regulatory domain is located at:
0x208
I changed my card from 0x69 to 0x64 and this is the bit that changed.

The CRC is located at:
0x202 and 0x203

Here is the line from offset 0x200 to 0x20F
Code:
B8 0C C2 B3 13 E0 03 00 64 00 1F 00 00 26 B6 05
      ^^ ^^             ^^          ^^ ^^ ^^ ^^
      CRC               regdomain      start of MAC address
Keep in mind that these are byte swapped when I changed my regdomain the CRC info that was calculated was 0xB3C2 ... before the change it was 0xB3CF.

Well I got another card today in the mail and re-flashed it... still shows the same behavior.

So I placed the card into the toshiba laptop that does have OS X on it currently and the card works just fine.

For reasons I'm not able to explain at this time the DSDT is injecting the dell wireless name into the mix but OS X just ignores it from what I can tell and it works fine as an Atheros card and reports as an AirPort Extreme card.
I guess this rules out the WiFi cards and the injector issues and points to the issue being somewhere with the NGFF / mPCIe adapter.

This post does at least answer one question ... you can do a radical rebrand now to bypass any laptop whitelist as long as you can get an Atheros 928X card to rebrand and with the new FakePCIID stuff OS X will use it properly.

Code:
        Device (RP02)
        {
            Name (_ADR, 0x001C0001)
            Device (ARPT)
            {
                Name (_ADR, Zero)
                Name (_SUN, One)
                Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)
                {
                    Store (Package (0x04)
                        {
                            "model", 
                            Buffer (0x13)
                            {
                                "Dell Wireless 1510"
                            }, 

"built-in", 
                            Buffer (One)
                            {
                                0x00
                            }
                        }, Local0)
                    DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))
                    Return (Local0)
                }
            }

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-02-10 at 9.33.14 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-02-10 at 9.33.14 PM.png
    88.9 KB · Views: 104
  • Screen Shot 2015-02-10 at 9.33.52 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-02-10 at 9.33.52 PM.png
    19.7 KB · Views: 174
  • Elizabeth’s MacBook Pro.ioreg
    3.8 MB · Views: 112
For reasons I'm not able to explain at this time the DSDT is injecting the dell wireless name into the mix but OS X just ignores it from what I can tell and it works fine as an Atheros card and reports as an AirPort Extreme card.

It is one of those hackintosh myths. Or perhaps some old version of OS X used "model" and displayed it somewhere but current versions don't seem to. Network Utility seems to display the value at IOModel.

I guess this rules out the WiFi cards and the injector issues and points to the issue being somewhere with the NGFF / mPCIe adapter.

This post does at least answer one question ... you can do a radical rebrand now to bypass any laptop whitelist as long as you can get an Atheros 928X card to rebrand and with the new FakePCIID stuff OS X will use it properly.

Yup. Where "Radical rebrand" == vendor-id and device-id rebrand.

Well I got another card today in the mail and re-flashed it... still shows the same behavior.

So I placed the card into the toshiba laptop that does have OS X on it currently and the card works just fine.

Code:
        Device (RP02)
        {
            Name (_ADR, 0x001C0001)
            Device (ARPT)
            {
                Name (_ADR, Zero)
                Name (_SUN, One)
                Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)
                {
                    Store (Package (0x04)
                        {
                            "model", 
                            Buffer (0x13)
                            {
                                "Dell Wireless 1510"
                            }, 

"built-in", 
                            Buffer (One)
                            {
                                0x00
                            }
                        }, Local0)
                    DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))
                    Return (Local0)
                }
            }

I'm still wondering why mine didn't work. I will have to rebrand a 9280 next time. I rebranded the 9285 and it does not pass the whitelist on my lenovo. It shows as and Intel card in windows and I verified all the ID's twice and they are exactly the same as the genuine Intel card. Do you want to sell one of you cards?

Hi!

And thanks for doing this guide! I just received an HP Atheros 9285 card (without bt) which is not allowed by my 4730s bios and i'm hoping to rebrand it to match the id's of the original whitelisted 9285 that has bt on it.
But it's the first step of the guide i don't understand. How can i check out the id's of this card in Windows when it's disabled by the bios and therefore not visible in Windows?

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back