Contribute
Register

Rebranding the Atheros 928x cards - The guide

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay so even though this card is branded as an HP card it still may not work unless it's in that white list? I was going to buy one just to test it and I may do that anyway but I can always use it in one of the other laptops that doesnt have a white list.

Thanks for your help.

Okay so even though this card is branded as an HP card it still may not work unless it's in that white list? I was going to buy one just to test it and I may do that anyway but I can always use it in one of the other laptops that doesnt have a white list.

Thanks for your help.

Different HP laptops have different whitelists. Refer to the service manual.

Hey RehabMan,

I got my Broadcom BCM943224HMS card, and it will not behave under OS X. I tired all the kexts, and hex-patched the binary (AppleAirportBCM4360.kext) and still not recognised by Mac OS X Yosemite 10.10.5

I saw this site -> http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/121293-rebranding-broadcom-based-80211bgn-cards/page-1

and it looks very promising. The Dev/Vendor ID's are already correct, but think I need to change subsystem IDs to match Airport Extreme N.

If I cannot get this to work, I will have to give up on the entire Hackbook project (I currently have Yosemite 10.10.5, AppleHDA audio, QE/CI video all working 100% on my 1st-gen Core-i5 HP ProBook 6550b).

Any help, advice or links you can provide would be happily received!

Many thanks, and sorry for being relatively off-topic.

PS. Need to get past BIOS WIFI whitelist, so cannot change Dev/Vendor IDs at all. Here are my (probably mangled) supported whitelist WIFI cards available for my laptop (I have the AR943224HMS)

Intel Centrino AdvancedN 6200 (2x2)
Intel Centrino Wireless-N 1000 (1x2)
Broadcom 4322AGN
Broadcom 4313GN

Last edited:
Is this program only suited to run on HP machines?
I have a TP-LINK TL-WN861N with AR9223 chip, which needs to be rebranded.
Under Windows 7 in Device Manager, under Properties/Details it says:
Hardware Id : PCI\VEN_128C&DEV_0029&SUBSYS_2091128C&REV_01 (128C = Retix Corp.)
Should be ID: PCI\VEN_168C&DEV_0029&SUBSYS_2091168C&REV_01 (168C = Atheros Communications Inc.)

Just changing the netathr.inf from 168C into 128C lets me install some stuff, but can not start (code 10).
I'd like to "rebrand" this card by correcting 126C into 168C, using atheros_eeprom_tool.
I have an IBM T43 with Windows 7 Pro/SP1 32-bit.
Any chance of making that happen?

Is this program only suited to run on HP machines?
I have a TP-LINK TL-WN861N with AR9223 chip, which needs to be rebranded.
Under Windows 7 in Device Manager, under Properties/Details it says:
Hardware Id : PCI\VEN_128C&DEV_0029&SUBSYS_2091128C&REV_01 (128C = Retix Corp.)
Should be ID: PCI\VEN_168C&DEV_0029&SUBSYS_2091168C&REV_01 (168C = Atheros Communications Inc.)

Just changing the netathr.inf from 168C into 128C lets me install some stuff, but can not start (code 10).
I'd like to "rebrand" this card by correcting 126C into 168C, using atheros_eeprom_tool.
I have an IBM T43 with Windows 7 Pro/SP1 32-bit.
Any chance of making that happen?

168c:0029 is not supported.

FYI: The Atheros drivers don't do anything with the subvendor/subdevice IDs. Rebranding is only used to get past BIOS restrictions.

Thanks for your reply.
It's not so much the drivers I am worried about, it's more Windows, which in its Registry does not fully install a card with an improper VEN.
That's why I'd like to "rebrand" the EEPROM.

According to the very first post by philip_petev it should work on my AR9223:
"This guide can be used for rebranding of all Atheros based card, supported by this EEPROM tool (as far as I know, the whole AR92xx series)."

Thanks for your reply.
It's not so much the drivers I am worried about, it's more Windows, which in its Registry does not fully install a card with an improper VEN.
That's why I'd like to "rebrand" the EEPROM.

According to the very first post by philip_petev it should work on my AR9223:
"This guide can be used for rebranding of all Atheros based card, supported by this EEPROM tool (as far as I know, the whole AR92xx series)."

You can try it. But this site is for OS X, and I don't think that device is supported by the OS X drivers...

Best to use Linux for the rebranding. Recent versions of Windows involve a lot of hurdles to get around driver signing requirements/etc.

The Linux guide is the "recovery" guide...

Hello friend good tutorial I have a question my HP ar5b195 me is giving problems after hibernate or shut down the computer let it recognize only can I use BT not is if you need to patch the BIOS or change the vendor ID that it may be I have the bios on UEFI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back