Contribute
Register

Rebranding the Atheros 928x cards - The guide

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks so much for your answer. After spending hours and reading the full guide I succeeded. I want to share what my problem was in case somebody wants to try. First I used an Atheros AR 9280 as used by Philip. Then after downloading the eeprom, I googled for the msvcr100d.dll that was missing in my computer (I used the same Probook 4530s, in Windows 7 professional). I installed in both system32 and syswow64 (as Philip mentions in post #39). After this I followed Philip guide (post#1) and everything was a piece of cake.
So if you are going to try using windows 7, make sure, before starting, that you have the dll file.

Thanks philip_petev for the guide and thanks Rehabman for answering yesterday to my questions

Thanks so much for your answer. After spending hours and reading the full guide I succeeded. I want to share what my problem was in case somebody wants to try. First I used an Atheros AR 9280 as used by Philip. Then after downloading the eeprom, I googled for the msvcr100d.dll that was missing in my computer (I used the same Probook 4530s, in Windows 7 professional). I installed in both system32 and syswow64 (as Philip mentions in post #39). After this I followed Philip guide (post#1) and everything was a piece of cake.
So if you are going to try using windows 7, make sure, before starting, that you have the dll file.

Thanks philip_petev for the guide and thanks Rehabman for answering yesterday to my questions

The msvcr100d.dll problem is a mistake on the part of whoever built the atheros_eeprom_tool.exe. It should have been built as Release instead of Debug. The debug msvcr100d.dll is not legally redistributable according to the Microsoft license granted to developers. Only the release msvcr100.dll is redistributable (and is included in Windows [post Win98, if I remember correctly]).

For anyone attempting this, it is easier to use Linux. See "Recovery Guide" link in post #1.

I am planning to rebrand the an AR5BHB92 (AR9280) as Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6205 PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_0085&SUBSYS_13118086&REV_34. The laptop I am trying to install is Lenovo T430 and I only know of this one whitelisted card and I have Yosemite installed with everything working other than wireless.

Do you see any issue with rebranding to Intel ? If yes, any suggestions/alternatives?

Thanks a lot
M

I am planning to rebrand the an AR5BHB92 (AR9280) as Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6205 PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_0085&SUBSYS_13118086&REV_34. The laptop I am trying to install is Lenovo T430 and I only know of this one whitelisted card and I have Yosemite installed with everything working other than wireless.

Do you see any issue with rebranding to Intel ? If yes, any suggestions/alternatives?

Thanks a lot
M

It won't work. The drivers in OS X will fail to work as there are a ton of dependencies within the binary on the specific vendor-id 0x168c and the device-id range. If you're familiar with x86 assembly, you may be able to get it to work by patching the binary, but it will take some determination.

In addition, Windows will crash with the card in that configuration (the Intel driver will load... then crash...)

If your Lenovo T430 has a whitelist entry for an Atheros card, rebrand to that id instead (read your service manual). Then patching the binary is not (as) difficult. Although Windows will not work with it, the driver doesn't seem to crash.

I did this on my Lenovo u430. Details here: http://www.tonymacx86.com/laptop-co...ovo-ideapad-u430-mavericks-37.html#post917057

Thanks Rehabman for the reply.

Here is the servicemanual for T430 and it lists the following cards

http://download.lenovo.com/ibmdl/pub/pc/pccbbs/mobiles_pdf/t430_t430i_hmm_en_0b48304_03.pdf

Below is the list of adapters which will support for ThinkPad T430.
Intel® 82579LM Gigabit Network Connection
11 a/b/g/n
Intel® Centrino® Advanced-N 6205
Intel® Centrino® Wireless-N 2200
Intel® Centrino® Ultimate-N 6300
PCIe Half Mini Card
ThinkPad 11 b/g/n
Wireless WAN upgradable on selected models.
Qualcomm® Gobi™ 3000 chipset
Qualcomm® Gobi™ 4000 chipset - AT&T on selected models
PCI Express Mini Card
Bluetooth 4.0 Wireless

Any ideas please?

I looked at the images for all the wireless cards and none of them are AR.

Rehabman - I am pretty handy on linux and I can flash the new ids. Do you think you can help me with the OSX patching?

Thanks

Here is the part list for T430 but for the life of it I cant figure out if any of these are AR.

http://download.lenovo.com/parts/ThinkPad/t430_t430i_fru_bom_20130410.pdf

Any help Rehabman?

Btw, most of my success has been from your U430 thread and your binaries :)

Liteon is sometimes Atheros. You need to get the details. I was prepared to purchase a Liteon card (compatible with the u430) directly from Lenovo (at ridiculous prices) just to get the device-id. Turned out it wasn't necessary as I was able to determine it through a combination of the service manual and the WiFi driver .INF file for Windows.

I looked at the images for all the wireless cards and none of them are AR.

Rehabman - I am pretty handy on linux and I can flash the new ids. Do you think you can help me with the OSX patching?

Thanks

If you look at the disassembly, you'll see a lot of references to 0x168c and the various device-id ranges for Atheros. I think it is going to be difficult to rebrand as Intel...

Liteon is sometimes Atheros. You need to get the details. I was prepared to purchase a Liteon card (compatible with the u430) directly from Lenovo (at ridiculous prices) just to get the device-id. Turned out it wasn't necessary as I was able to determine it through a combination of the service manual and the WiFi driver .INF file for Windows.

Its showing up as RTL8188CE which isnt supported in OSX. This isnt of any help right? Thanks Rehabman.

shows up as (PCI\VEN_10EC&DEV_8176)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back