Contribute
Register

Reboot or Select Proper Boot Device (After Windows 10 Install)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hey Team,
I've been a long time hack user and used these site for everything. I hit a weird snag today. I am running High Sierra on my older Sandy Bridge PC. High Sierra is installed on a 500GB SSD, I also have a 1TB HDD in there as well.

I popped in a spare 120GB SSD to run a Windows install on. I disconnected my high sierra SSD and HDD. Ran the windows 10 UEFI usb install. Installed with no issues. Immediately after getting my windows 10 install up and running, I shutdown. Plugged back in all my drives. Assigned my boot order back to my High Sierra SSD, and it immediately booted windows without booting clover off my High Sierra drive, which is number 1 priority in the BIOS.

After mutliple attempts, I was confused, so I just removed the windows 10 SSD completely and attempted to boot (Assuming that clover would naturally boot, as it's the only available boot loader plugged in). Instead I get this error, "Reboot or select proper boot device or insert proper boot media"

Now during the windows 10 install, the High Sierra drive wasn't even plugged in, so I don't know how that could have been affected in any way. There were no changes made to the BIOS either. My only assumption is there is some issues in the EFI/uefi boot options? Any input would be greatly appreciated, I really don't want to go the route of reinstalling High Sierra on this drive because my dumb A** didn't backup a couple of things on prior to this mess.

Thanks.

As a follow up, I have dug deeper into this. Installed Clover onto USB stick. USB stick won't boot either. I have my BIOS set to UEFI, but the startup options never show UEFI USB as a startup disk. It's like the BIOS is treating every drive as if it were legacy. I have tried resetting the BIOS to factory defaults, I flashed the Firmware on the MB, I removed the CMOS Battery to try clearing the MB. I did a jumper clear on the MB. All to no avail. I tried the clover USB on my other laptop, and it booted clover no problem. So I know it's not my usb stick. It's as if the Windows 10 Installer stopped my BIOS from recognizing UEFI drives. I have tried with all HD's unplugged and just the USB stick in all the different ports. I'm just scratching my head now.

Without knowing the hardware it is impossible to diagnose the problem.
Follow forum rules and enter your hardware into your profile and/or create a sig.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back