CPU
i5-4690K
Graphics
GTX 760
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hello chaps. I've installed OS X on a computer I built, using parts from the buyer's guide (ASRock Z97e-ITX/AC, Intel 4690k, Nvidia GTX 760) using unibeast and multibeast and (almost) everything works! However, it won't boot directly from the SSD, instead requiring the USB drive I installed from to be inserted. I get this message:

'Reboot and Select proper Boot device
or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key'

I've googled and search the forums for the issue, thought it could be this 'boot0' thing but maybe my mb reports it differently? So I boot back into the OS X installer, and run the terminal command. Nope. Doesn't help. I check my boot priority in the UEFI settings. Nope. At a bit of a loss. I don't really want to have to keep the usb stick in the back of my machine and select the install disk each time I boot up.

This is far less important, but I've also noticed a bit of latency with the bluetooth. It discovered my mouse just fine after installing the relevant kexts, but it can get very laggy, in a way that it never is with my MBA. I'm thinking the aerial the board came with is just a bit crap, and I should replace it. If push comes to shove, I suppose I can just get a bluetooth dongle that is known to play nice with OS X. But thought I would mention in case anyone knows anything.

Lastly, sorry about the 'am n00b halp pls' post. Any help would be appreciated.

Chimera, Clover, or CloverUEFI

Hey there. I selected Chimera 4.0.1 as the bootloader when I ran MultiBeast. Should that not have done the trick?

Should be fine, carefully go through the install guide again...

Hey there,

I appreciate the suggestion, but I've installed it twice from scratch, and looking through the install guide I can't see anything I've missed. I did come across some advice that suggested I use Clover for UEFI boards, such as this post, but I couldn't get clover to create a bootable usb drive (this was my second attempt, before going back to the unibeast + multibeast method). Is there any reason why Chimera wouldn't work with a UEFI board?

Hey there,

I appreciate the suggestion, but I've installed it twice from scratch, and looking through the install guide I can't see anything I've missed. I did come across some advice that suggested I use Clover for UEFI boards, such as this post, but I couldn't get clover to create a bootable usb drive (this was my second attempt, before going back to the unibeast + multibeast method). Is there any reason why Chimera wouldn't work with a UEFI board?

Provided you actually installed Chimeria to your OS X hard drive it really sounds to me like you haven't set the BIOS to boot first from your OS X drive.

Hey Clipper,

I'm assuming it's trying to boot from the SSD I installed Yosemite to, as this error occurs when it's the only drive in the system, or if I explicitly choose to boot from it on startup. If the USB is still in the system, then it ignores the order of precedence in the UEFI settings, presumably because it can't boot from the highest priority drive.

I tried checking if Chimera was installed correctly on the drive, and I saw that if I cd into the root folder and do an ls -la, I can see there is a 'boot' file. There is also a file called 'org.chameleon.Boot.plist' in /Extra, and I have read that Chimera is a fork from Chameleon, so I am assuming that's the config file for that.

Perhaps there is some bios setting I've overlooked, I have been through the whole interface once to see if anything looks likely. I'm not familiar with such things, usually when I install operating systems, they just work!

A little cartoon man is talking me through the various functions of the UEFI. I don't know if it's going to be any help but it's certainly adorable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back