RX 480
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi all,

I'm trying to install Mavericks 10.9.1 on the following system:

i7-2600K
intel DP67BA
8GB RAM
Geforce 7300 (this will change soon to a GT210)

The problem is it reboots after loading TMSafetyNet.kext and briefly (like a few milliseconds) shows boot arguments (if any). This is with the Unibeast USB. I have't even gotten to the installer yet.

I realise the 7300 isn't compatible with Mavericks but I thought maybe I could use it as a temporary GPU just to install the OS and then change when I get the new one. Could this problem be related to the card?

Any other ideas? I've set the BIOS to the recommended settings and nothing seems to work. I have also tried all possible boot arguments with the same issue.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers :)

@Rehabman, I know you have a lot of experience with intel boards. Is the P67 chipset problematic with OS X with intel boards, particularly Mavericks?

I tried putting my GT610 (which is compatible OOB) and still, the same problem persists, so it can't be GPU related. I also tried reducing the RAM to 4GB and editing the SMBIOS.plist file to reflect a few different models but nothing helped.

Any suggestions?

@Rehabman, I know you have a lot of experience with intel boards. Is the P67 chipset problematic with OS X with intel boards, particularly Mavericks?

I tried putting my GT610 (which is compatible OOB) and still, the same problem persists, so it can't be GPU related. I also tried reducing the RAM to 4GB and editing the SMBIOS.plist file to reflect a few different models but nothing helped.

Any suggestions?

Is the reboot happening just after the loading of kernel ?

Hi Jithin,

If I try boot without an arguments it reboots about 50 or 100ms after the grey apple screen appears. It just flashes and reboots.

If I boot in verbose mode it reboots after TMSafetyNet.kext, as described in my OP.

Hi Jithin,

If I try boot without an arguments it reboots about 50 or 100ms after the grey apple screen appears. It just flashes and reboots.

If I boot in verbose mode it reboots after TMSafetyNet.kext, as described in my OP.

If it is stuck somewhere then we can easily identify the issue. But in this type of rolling reboot it is very difficult. Try to create a bootable USB with CLOVER then try booting.

GUIDE : http://www.tonymacx86.com/mavericks...-how-install-os-x-mavericks-using-clover.html

If it is stuck somewhere then we can easily identify the issue. But in this type of rolling reboot it is very difficult. Try to create a bootable USB with CLOVER then try booting.

GUIDE : http://www.tonymacx86.com/mavericks...-how-install-os-x-mavericks-using-clover.html

Thanks. I considered using Clover, but now I have a bigger problem. I updated the BIOS on this board yesterday, thinking maybe it would help the situation I'm in and it only made things worse. The update totally bricked the board. So now I have to find a replacement or get this one fixed. Think I'm just gonna get a Gigabyte board and be done with it. This screw up is costing me money now so I'm just gonna do what'll be fastest.

Thanks for the help.

Thanks. I considered using Clover, but now I have a bigger problem. I updated the BIOS on this board yesterday, thinking maybe it would help the situation I'm in and it only made things worse. The update totally bricked the board. So now I have to find a replacement or get this one fixed. Think I'm just gonna get a Gigabyte board and be done with it. This screw up is costing me money now so I'm just gonna do what'll be fastest.

Thanks for the help.

What happened after BIOS update?

What happened after BIOS update?

Well the BIOS version the board had when I received it was 0072. I thought, maybe if I update it to the latest version (0079) it will make a difference to the Mavericks install. So I downloaded it from Intel's site and used the F7 flash utility to update it via USB.

Everything seemed to be going fine (all firmwares were updated successfully) until it got to the last one: "Intel Management Engine Firmware" and all of a sudden the screen went blank but the PC continued to the run, fans and lights on. So I waited about 20 minutes because I thought it was just finishing up, but nothing happened. The whole process should have only taken 2 to 5 minutes.

So I had no other choice but to switch it off and attempt to reboot. Thereafter it was the same story: blank screen, spinning fans and nothing. I reset the CMOS, tried a BIOS recovery via the BIOS recovery jumpers, took out the RAM, and tried a hard reset. Nothing. BRICK.

Luckily the board is still under warranty so I'm going to take it to our local Intel distributors and see if I can get a new board or at least an RMA.

I told my customer friend what happened and he was super chilled about it. I felt bad because this is the first time EVER I've had a board brick just because I updated the BIOS. I've updated the BIOS on every single computer I've ever owned and also for all my friends/clients who employed my services - maybe over a hundred. Guess in future I just have to be very cautious with Intel BIOS updates.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back