Contribute
Register

RealtekRTL8111c performace and stability issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have upgraded to 10.6.5 and the new nVidia drivers per instructions. Everything seems to be coming together except a minor cosmetic graphics glitch and my networking.

my motherboard has the Realtek RTL8111c network. I have installed the Lnx2Mac Realtek RTL81xx Driver package.

My performance is about 5MB/sec (bytes not bits) over a gigabit LAN. (ie. VERY slow)

Also, any intense network trafic results in hard crash within seconds. Such as copying a 2 GB file from Mac to a Windows box on the LAN. Short bursts of activity seem to be okay and not crash.

I expect others reporting stability issues may be having the same issue as this - any suggestions? Could this be a 10.6.5 bug in general?

TIA,

Frank

frnic said:
I have upgraded to 10.6.5 and the new nVidia drivers per instructions. Everything seems to be coming together except a minor cosmetic graphics glitch and my networking.

my motherboard has the Realtek RTL8111c network. I have installed the Lnx2Mac Realtek RTL81xx Driver package.

My performance is about 5MB/sec (bytes not bits) over a gigabit LAN. (ie. VERY slow)

Also, any intense network trafic results in hard crash within seconds. Such as copying a 2 GB file from Mac to a Windows box on the LAN. Short bursts of activity seem to be okay and not crash.

I expect others reporting stability issues may be having the same issue as this - any suggestions? Could this be a 10.6.5 bug in general?

TIA,

Frank
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=7277

Attachments

• ALC8xxHDA.kext.zip
    9.9 KB · Views: 60
MacMan,

Thank you for the link, I read it and applied the "fixes" unfortunately they did not help in my case.

However, it got me to thinking, and it appears the problem I am having is isolated to RDP. When I connect with RDP to one of my Windows machines and then attempt a file transfer the Hackintosh crashes/freezes hard in a matter of seconds.

This is something "new" since I updated to 10.6.5 recently, I have used RDP for months now on this Hackintosh prior to the update.

To verify my problem is RDP I transfered several large (20GB+) files using FTP with no problem.

Frank

Attachments

• dsdt.aml
    33.2 KB · Views: 151
I can guarantee that there is a problem with my hackintosh now after updating to 10.6.5 and running multibeast.

I original used some other method to create my hackintosh - maybe 6 months ago. It has run stable since then, it even updated to 10.6.5 doing a "normal" software update from Apple.

Then I found this site and tried the Multibeast and the problems began.

I am NOT complaining - I am letting you know about a problem.

The problem is definitely with networking - even just browsing the internet will cause a crash - it just takes longer. If I do nothing (or almost nothing) requiring the network I can run for several days - video, programming, editing, etc. But, use the network and blam - death.

I have tried virtually every combination of options in the multibeast now. And I have installed the lnx2mac's kext.

The problem remains. Maybe it has to do with my old out dated motherboard that your are not interested in supporting, but bottom line is it is broke.

I hope someone is listening.

Frank

frnic,

Sorry to hear about your networking issues.
I know from people using it on EP45 without problems.

Care to answer the following ?
1) Did you use a Purchased Retail Mac OS X Snow Leopard DVD to install ?
2) Are you using a DSDT ?
3) Are you using the latest available BIOS ?
4) What do you have under /Extra ?
5) Did you tweak/replace any of the vanilla kexts ?
6) You might want to check NotShy's guide to CPU & RAM testing viewtopic.php?f=51&t=6616

Good Luck,
Lnx2Mac

frnic,
Sorry to hear about your networking issues.
I know from people using it on EP45 without problems

That is very good to hear, I must be doing something wrong, and that means I can fix it - :)

Care to answer the following ?
1) Did you use a Purchased Retail Mac OS X Snow Leopard DVD to install
?

Yes, per instructions I installed from a Purchased Retail MacOSW X Snow Leopard DVD. I also stripped my system during the install - no extra drives, no USB sticks, no extra PCI cards, reduced memory to 4ZGB, etc. Well, that is not entirely true - I had originally installed using some other method - the system had upgraded itself via Software Update via Apple to 10.6.5. Then when my 9800GT died I did an update install over that using Multibeast per instructions here - hmm, maybe I need to do a clean install and start over from scratch here - I will try that today.

2) Are you using a DSDT ?

No, I have only used the ZEasyBeast method here. But, as I mentioned, I do not recall which method I used previously (months ago)

3) Are you using the latest available BIOS ?

That is a good point, I will check it out. I recall updating it when I got the board, but haven't checked in the last year.

4) What do you have under /Extra ?

[06:28:52] /Extra/ ls -al
total 656
drwx------ 8 franknichols wheel 272 Dec 1 13:45 .
drwxrwxr-x@ 42 root admin 1496 Dec 1 13:36 ..
drwxr-xr-x 11 root wheel 374 Dec 1 13:45 Extensions
-rw-r--r-- 1 root wheel 161712 Dec 1 13:09 Extensions.bak.mkext
-rw-r--r-- 1 root wheel 161712 Dec 1 13:45 Extensions.mkext
drwxr-xr-x 3 franknichols staff 102 Nov 13 08:23 Themes
-rwxr-xr-x 1 franknichols staff 476 Jun 2 2010 com.apple.Boot.plist
-rw-r--r-- 1 franknichols staff 468 Nov 21 10:33 smbios.plist
[06:28:53] /Extra/ ls -al Extensions
total 0
drwxr-xr-x 11 root wheel 374 Dec 1 13:45 .
drwx------ 8 franknichols wheel 272 Dec 1 13:45 ..
drwxr-xr-x 3 root wheel 102 Oct 29 2009 EvOreboot.kext
drwxr-xr-x 3 root wheel 102 Aug 28 2009 IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext
drwxr-xr-x 3 root wheel 102 Jul 17 2009 JMicron36xATA.kext
drwxr-xr-x 3 root wheel 102 Mar 22 2010 JMicron36xSATA.kext
drwxr-xr-x 3 root wheel 102 Apr 27 2010 Legacy889aHDA.kext
drwxr-xr-x 3 root wheel 102 Aug 22 2009 LegacyAppleRTC.kext
drwxr-xr-x 3 root wheel 102 Oct 9 2009 NVEnabler 64.kext
drwxr-xr-x 3 root wheel 102 Aug 21 2009 NullCPUPowerManagement.kext
drwxr-xr-x 3 root wheel 102 Nov 20 2009 fakesmc.kext
[06:29:09] /Extra/

5) Did you tweak/replace any of the vanilla kexts ?

I have tried various edits I have read in these posts, however, at the moment I am using all vanilla kexts installed by Multibeast, except for yours which is installed.

6) You might want to check NotShy's guide to CPU & RAM testing

Good point, the reason I tried the Multibeast method was that I had previously been running a 9800GT and it died a couple weeks ago. So, I replaced it with a GigaByte 450 GTS - which would not boot with whatever method I had previously used to build my Hackintosh. I found this site and tried this and it basically worked except the networking issues. It could be I have some other problem in my hardware - however, it does run a dual boot of Windows 7 Ultimate without issues.

Good Luck,
Lnx2Mac

Thanks for the help, I am off to do some hardware testing and BIOS tweaking.

frnic said:
Thanks for the help, I am off to do some hardware testing and BIOS tweaking.
Looks you are on the right track now...
Will keep watching this topic ;)

Thank you for your help - I feel a little foolish now.

The BIOS was fine and the CPU and Memory tested okay.

I did a complete clean install on a freshly partitioned disk drive and the instability issues I was having with the network are resolved. So, there was something "left over" from my older install that was not being removed or replaced.

However, while it is stable now, I still am not seeing a improvement in performance from your kext. I am getting around 5MB/sec to a Windows 7 Ultimate machine on my gigabit LAN using RDP, I am seeing about 10MB/sec using FTP. I would expect 20 to 40 MB/sec at least.

Any ideas where I could look for this?

Thanks again,

Frank

frnic said:
However, while it is stable now, I still am not seeing a improvement in performance from your kext. I am getting around 5MB/sec to a Windows 7 Ultimate machine on my gigabit LAN using RDP, I am seeing about 10MB/sec using FTP. I would expect 20 to 40 MB/sec at least.

Any ideas where I could look for this?
Frank,
Glad it's working ;)
Check this out: viewtopic.php?f=64&t=5700

Thanks,

I got np and built it on my Mac, I will build it on a windows machine later and test it and report back what I get.

Frank

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back