Register

RealtekRTL8111 shows gigabit but won't exceed 100Mbps

Status
Not open for further replies.
CPU
i7
Graphics
GTX960
Running 10.12.5 w/ onboard RealTek Gigabit Ethernet. If I boot into Linux, I operate w/ gigabit speeds, booting into OSX and running speed tests never exceed 100mb.

Looking at the Ethernet hardware tab I can see it is set to 1000baseT full-duplex. Any ideas on what is restricting my throughput?

W/ testing another OS and exceeding 100m, this eliminates my bandwidth, the switch port and the cable as possible culprits. Any advice greatly appreciated!

p.s. Using RealtekRTL8111.kext v2.2.1

I'll reach out on Git, thanks for the nudge in the right direction!

Did you ever find a solution , I am having the same issue started using version 2.2.1 of the kext even upgrading to 2.2.2 did not help.

tested with Mieze's RealtekRTL8111.kext (2.0.0, 2.2.1, 2.2.2) drivers on macOS Sierra, High Sierra, Mojave, Catalina

NIC chipset, Realtek RTL8111/E/F
macOS network settings : default

NAS NIC chipset, Intel 82574L Gigabit Ethernet Controller

Gigabit Network Switch : non-manageable Switch, Buffalo/TP-Link cheap one

NAS <- PC :: throughput >100 MByte/s
NAS -> PC :: throughput >100 MByte/s

tested with Mieze's RealtekRTL8111.kext (2.0.0, 2.2.1, 2.2.2) drivers on macOS Sierra, High Sierra, Mojave, Catalina

NIC chipset, Realtek RTL8111/E/F
macOS network settings : default

NAS NIC chipset, Intel 82574L Gigabit Ethernet Controller

Gigabit Network Switch : non-manageable Switch, Buffalo/TP-Link cheap one

NAS <- PC :: throughput >100 MByte/s
NAS -> PC :: throughput >100 MByte/s

It's weird , I use the same cable connected to the same router on my Hackintosh HP Probook 6570b (Running the same MacOS 10.12.5 build as the PC in question) and get 1Gbps speeds. So it's definitely not the cable/router. I previously ran Mint Linux 19.2 on the same box and the speeds reach 1Gbps so its definitely not the NIC/Motherboard. I am not sure what else it could be....

It's weird , I use the same cable connected to the same router on my Hackintosh HP Probook 6570b (Running the same MacOS 10.12.5 build as the PC in question) and get 1Gbps speeds. So it's definitely not the cable/router. I previously ran Mint Linux 19.2 on the same box and the speeds reach 1Gbps so its definitely not the NIC/Motherboard. I am not sure what else it could be....

other developer's realtek driver do not as fast as Mieze's driver, top speed at ~70MB/s

Mieze's RealtekRTL8111 2.3.0d7, sometimes cannot boot

I would prefer the 2.0.0 driver, less features than 2.2.x, but quite stable

you may try play around the settings in the driver info.plist (RealtekRTL8111.kext/Contents/Info.plist)

do you have VMware/VirtualBox installed in your computer, maybe these apps would slow down the transfer speed

I got it to work!!!!

8987769409.png

I removed all RealtekRTLXXX.kext I could find as well as AppleRTL8169Ethernet.kext from /L/E & /S/L/E rebuilt and repaired cache.

Downloaded the latest Kext from https://github.com/Mieze/RTL8111_driver_for_OS_X/releases installed, rebuilt and repaired cache.Rebooted and Boom!

Thanks to everyone in this thread.

I too seem to be having a similar issue with an older machine build (secondary build listed) I recently refreshed to High Sierra. I mainly use it as a Plex server.

Bare minimum kext wise only changed SMBIOS from default 14.2(?) 18.3 to test if that would help along with RealtekRTL8111.kext.

Strangest thing is I can only make it work at all with the 2.2.2 version, the latest 2.3.0 always states unplugged no matter how I wrangle it.

Even when I set GB speeds in System Preferences I am maxing around 50 down speedtestwise and 12 up while in other non wonky systems I am routinely getting 260 down 12 up.

Actually, the main reason I wanted to eventually upgrade from Sierra was because of a continued problem where the ethernet adapter would get borked after seemingly just a certain amount of time. Usually, restarting would fix alone. Which led me down the rabbit hole of trying to install the latest version, etc. again and again.

Figured I should probably post up for some help at this point!

EDIT 1*
WTF mate, I guess in my Win10 installation I am only getting 86 down and 11 up so maybe this is my life? Is this just a 100 base ethernet port?

EDIT 2*
Unplugged and replugged ethernet and now switch sees it at gigabit speeds...fml. cannot get it to work in OSX however still.

EDIT 3* Now it only connects 100 base even in the windows installation, no amount of fookery making any difference. I have a pcie NIC card coming to amend this hopefully. Possibly the motherboard NIC was damaged at some point, switch and cable tested extensively with many a router reboot and just cannot figure it out.

Attachments

• system copy.txt
    3.2 MB · Views: 370
Last edited:
I too seem to be having a similar issue with an older machine build (secondary build listed) I recently refreshed to High Sierra. I mainly use it as a Plex server.

Bare minimum kext wise only changed SMBIOS from default 14.2(?) 18.3 to test if that would help along with RealtekRTL8111.kext.

Strangest thing is I can only make it work at all with the 2.2.2 version, the latest 2.3.0 always states unplugged no matter how I wrangle it.

Even when I set GB speeds in System Preferences I am maxing around 50 down speedtestwise and 12 up while in other non wonky systems I am routinely getting 260 down 12 up.

Actually, the main reason I wanted to eventually upgrade from Sierra was because of a continued problem where the ethernet adapter would get borked after seemingly just a certain amount of time. Usually, restarting would fix alone. Which led me down the rabbit hole of trying to install the latest version, etc. again and again.

Figured I should probably post up for some help at this point!

EDIT 1*
WTF mate, I guess in my Win10 installation I am only getting 86 down and 11 up so maybe this is my life? Is this just a 100 base ethernet port?

EDIT 2*
Unplugged and replugged ethernet and now switch sees it at gigabit speeds...fml. cannot get it to work in OSX however still.

EDIT 3* Now it only connects 100 base even in the windows installation, no amount of fookery making any difference. I have a pcie NIC card coming to amend this hopefully. Possibly the motherboard NIC was damaged at some point, switch and cable tested extensively with many a router reboot and just cannot figure it out.

RealtekRTL8111.kext
Version 2.2.1 (2016-03-12) requires macOS 10.11 or newer
version 2.2.2 (2018-01-21) requires macOS 10.12 or newer
version 2.3.0 (2020-08-14) requires macOS 10.14 or newer
version 2.4.0d4 (2020-10-10) requires macOS 10.14 or newer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back