Graphics
Nvidia GT250
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
I apologize if this has already been posted about, I've read a hundred threads over the last day and didn't see anything that seemed related to my problem.

Here's what's happening:

I have an ASUS P7P55D motherboard with 10.6.4 installed on it working fine including ethernet using the Realtek8100SL kext.

I bought a pair of SSDs to use in software RAID0 as my boot drive so I did a fresh install of SL then installed the combo 10.6.5 update. After fiddling around a bit I figured out how to install Chameleon to a software RAID array, installed the fixed USB kexts, and the Lnx2Mac Realtek kext. All seemed well, system boots from RAID just fine.

Now here's the problem. When I boot the system from Chameleon, I get no ethernet. I'm using the new Lnx2Mac beta Realtek driver and it detects the card, but I get no IP address. It always gets a self assigned IP.

Now if I boot using the latest iBoot (and also iBoot supported works as well) it loads using the same Lnx2Mac driver, but I get an IP without an issue. In fact I'm posting this from the new install booted off of iBoot.

So what could be changing between loading off of iBoot and loading directly from Chameloen? Also, why would my previous install work fine, but this new one just doesn't want to work. It makes no sense. Hopefully someone can shed some light on the issue. Thanks in advance.

So I was itching to get my computer set up so I went ahead an reinstalled OS X and applied the 10.6.4 combo update instead this time. Installed the Realtek8100SL kext from MultiBeast just because it's what I had working on my original install. Rebooted and ethernet is working like a charm! Later I'll install the Lnx2Mac beta driver to see if that works but I have a good feeling it will. Seems to be a 10.6.5 related issue only as the 8100SL driver didn't work for me either on the first install.

I went ahead and installed the Lnx2Mac beta Realtek driver and it's working flawlessly. This is all under 10.6.4 now. So it would seem the issue I had is definitely 10.6.5 specific.

Anyone have any ideas why Ethernet would just refuse to work in 10.6.5? (yet does work booting with 10.6.5 kernet iBoot)

I'm using it on a 10.6.5 with no issues...

Now that it's working on 10.6.4, want to try combo-updating to 10.6.5 ?

Lnx2Mac said:

Is it possible to properly restore a hackintosh using a Time Machine backup? If I can easily restore my system assuming this doesn't work, I'll give it a shot. But after multiple re-installs, I've finally gotten the system all set up and not really looking to do that again any time soon if I don't have to...

einsteinx2 said:
Lnx2Mac said:

Is it possible to properly restore a hackintosh using a Time Machine backup? If I can easily restore my system assuming this doesn't work, I'll give it a shot.
Not only that it's possible, I also strongly recommend it (Well, actually doing a TimeMachine, or a clone image)...
As you want to be able to be up-and-running again, as quickly as possible, should an HDD problem occur.

Note that after a restore, you'll have to reinstall Chameleon.

But after multiple re-installs, I've finally gotten the system all set up and not really looking to do that again any time soon if I don't have to...
Nuff said ;)

Attachments

• DSDT.AML
    36.8 KB · Views: 123
Cool, I do keep Time Machine backups, I've just been lucky enough never to have to do a restore from one in the time I've had my hackintosh.

I'll give the 10.6.5 update a try tonight and report back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back