Contribute
Register

Realtek ethernet getting IP, no internet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys,

So I installed El Capitan 10.11.5 on my new laptop and am facing a weird issue. I tried searching the forum, but could not find a single result.

My Laptop is HP Pavilion 15-ab253cl.
Intel® Core™ i5-6200U
12GB DDR3L SDRAM
Intel® HD Graphics 520

I am done with installation and I have a perfectly well booting machine with working GPU.

Now I am at post installation and the first thing I wanted to do was making ethernet work as its normally very easy to make it work.

My chipset for realtek is rtl8136. I tried different kexts as there was no kext with the exact name. The kext that worked was RTL8100.kext

Now I can see that its getting a valid IP but it is not able to connect to internet. I tried the normal solution like rebuild cache, installing it to S/L/E, but nothing seems to work.

Anyone has any idea what can be the issue?

Also, I have not done anything for native power management yet. I don't know if its related but just putting it out here.

Last edited:
Hey guys,

So I installed El Capitan 10.11.5 on my new laptop and am facing a weird issue. I tried searching the forum, but could not find a single result.

My Laptop is HP Pavilion 15-ab253cl.
Intel® Core™ i5-6200U
12GB DDR3L SDRAM
Intel® HD Graphics 520

I am done with installation and I have a perfectly well booting machine with working GPU.

Now I am at post installation and the first thing I wanted to do was making ethernet work as its normally very easy to make it work.

My chipset for realtek is rtl8136. I tried different kexts as there was no kext with the exact name. The kext that worked was RTL8100.kext

Now I can see that its getting a valid IP but it is not able to connect to internet. I tried the normal solution like rebuild cache, installing it to S/L/E, but nothing seems to work.

Anyone has any idea what can be the issue?

Also, I have not done anything for native power management yet. I don't know if its related but just putting it out here.

If you're getting a valid IP address via DHCP, the driver is working (sending/receiving packets).

No idea without more details...

If you're getting a valid IP address via DHCP, the driver is working (sending/receiving packets).

No idea without more details...
im not sure what else I can provide. Are there are network specific logs that I can see?

Any random idea you have what can be the issue here? I am ready to test it out. Or I'll just reinstall the OS, just in case.

im not sure what else I can provide. Are there are network specific logs that I can see?

Any random idea you have what can be the issue here? I am ready to test it out. Or I'll just reinstall the OS, just in case.

You could start by saying what the ip address is... For all we know, you're getting a self-assigned ip... (and don't know the difference between self-assigned and real DHCP assigned ip)

If you're getting a real ip address, can you ping your DNS server?

You could start by saying what the ip address is... For all we know, you're getting a self-assigned ip... (and don't know the difference between self-assigned and real DHCP assigned ip)

1.jpg 2.jpg

The ping is getting timed out. And you can see the ip as well, it's correct. I tried manually assigning as well, still no internet.

I pinged both the DNS and the gateway, same result.

I pinged both the DNS and the gateway, same result.

I assume ping 192.168.0.1 no success? (would seems strange given that's where your IP came from, but...)

Check system.log. If no clues there, fresh install.

I assume ping 192.168.0.1 no success? (would seems strange given that's where your IP came from, but...)

Check system.log. If no clues there, fresh install.
yeah, I'm reinstalling.. this time with cable plugged in. Will check whether the internet works during installation.

Thanks for your help.

yeah, I'm reinstalling.. this time with cable plugged in. Will check whether the internet works during installation.

Thanks for your help.

No need for networking during installation. Better to decline/skip that part.

No need for networking during installation. Better to decline/skip that part.
sorry, had already started with installation. So same thing happened during installation as well. Tried to sign in, but the response never came.

Had to start without internet only. Fresh install, back to same problem again :|

Tried changing the dns server to google, manually changing the IP, still no internet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back