Contribute
Register

Realtek ALC 892 No sound after sleep [10.9.2]

Status
Not open for further replies.
For those who are affected by AppleHDA issues with onboard sound, left behind with broken sound or just tired of issues with it: There may be an inexpensive solution - $29 Behringer UCA202 Audio Interface, available at amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/r.html?R=1MVCV5NVRRIUL&C=3T5MUR8F9569O&H=W4EXKDAIAUUHQRMUA89NXBCKSEMA&T=C&U=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.com%2Fdp%2FB000KW2YEI%2Fref%3Dpe_385040_30332200_pe_309540_26725410_item

It also provides high quality RCA input and headphones amp/monitor. It even has optical digital output. No more issue with audio pops and Mac OS X updates. It is true plug-n-play and it works with all modern OS without any drivers.

Read this review if interested: http://nwavguy.blogspot.com/2011/02/behringer-uca202-review.html

At the moment, I restored 10.9.1 from a backup and everything works perfectly fine. 10.9.2 seems like "half baked cookie" to me. Audio is not the only issue with 10.9.2...

With 10.9.2 + 10.9.1 AppleHDA (MB 6.1.0) audio would work, but only for 3-4 sleep/wake cycles, then sound would stop, just like with 10.9.2 AppleHDA version (no audio after first sleep/wake).

I don't know whether this is an issue that others ran into when trying to install audio drivers from MB6.1, but when I was preparing to load the drivers the first thing I did was select "DSDT Free" from the Quick Start panel. What I found though was that this meant that I would have been installing a number of other, older kexts/drivers than what was already on my machine from MB6.2. Fortunately I figured out that if I didn't select any of the options in the Quick Start panel and only selected my audio driver (Realtek ALC 892), that is all that would be installed (excepting HDA Enabler which is selected automatically whenever any audio kext is selected).

Installing just the audio kext and HDA Enabler from MB6.1 has worked for me so far. Gigabyte Z87X-OC.

I don't know if unintentionally installing other kexts/drivers from MB6.1 is the reason for anyone's continued problems or kernel panics, but I thought I'd throw this out there in case.

Realtek ALC 898 same issue, Multibeast 6.1 audio drivers solved the problem.

These will work too:

http://dx.com/p/virtual-5-1-surround-usb-2-0-external-sound-card-22475

I've tested them on macs and they are plug and play, no problems.

Used one on a pc laptop and it was actually better sound output than the built in headphone port.

deal extreme is free shipping from china, expect your order in no less than 3 weeks. I've ordered plenty from them. At that price get a couple spares. Of course if you have really good ears or are an audiophile, get the one above from amazon, i'm sure it will be better.

My hackintosh (gigabyte z87-d3h) was perfectly stable with 10.9.1 even overclocked. Since 10.9.2 i've had audio cutting out issues (not just after sleep, infact, sleep and then wake again brings my audio back, until it cuts out randomly). Also had 5+ freeze ups completely when the mouse, screen everything lock up and require a power cycle. Been ok since I ran the 10.9.2 combo updater multibeast 6.1.2 audio drivers, and fake smc v5 from multibeast 6.1.0, but I still have the sound cut out issue. Changing cpu to factory spec speed didn't solve freeze ups, not a overheating or cpu stability issue. I'm hoping the freeze up's will stop after restoring the apple default 10.9.2 audio drivers and using a usb audio out adapter for now. If i still get freezes i'll have to reinstall and stick with 10.9.1, but i'm hoping 10.9.3 will come out soon and solve our problems.

Hope my post helped

Update March 31- Been using usb audio adapter with the apple 10.9.2 restored, ZERO kernel panics or freezes, this works, quality sounds the same to me, sticking with this.

Just an update. Here are the things I did since my last clone restore after a kernel panic.

Install MB 6.1 Audio (only)
Repaired permissions
o_O Disabled Clone drive in BIOS
Rebooted

Been stable for a solid week now. No cut outs, static or no sound after sleep.

New symptom though, the system sometimes fails to sleep, it would seem that it would going to sleep but it kicks back on right away and gets stuck with a black screen. Sometimes when I tell Mavericks to shut the computer down, it would seem like it turned off and then it would turn back on by itself.

Something funky with the bios most likely:crazy:

Same problem here. After sleep for a long time, audio is lost.

Maverick 10.9.2 - ALC 892 + HDAudio installes with Multibeast.

Same proble here. After a long sleep, audio is lost and y need to reset the PC to start hearing audio again.

GA-B85-D3M motherboard. Audio Codect ALC892 installed and working normally always. Those wher installed with latest Multibeast. I'm not sure to install old audio drivers from Multibeast 6.1.0. Would like to know how to that manually first.

The Multibeast 6.1 drivers made no difference for me - I still lose sound after sleep (ALC 889 on a GA-Z68MA-D2H-B3).

Hey guys! There are two different Issues... Losing audio after sleep seems to be a problem with Multibeast 6.2.1 as the good people before me have already correctly concluded... Solution, like they said, is to eliminate all traces of 6.2.1 (or maybe just its audio kexts if youd like to keep the other upgrades) and then use the audio kexts from Multibeast 6.1.0... In my case I reformated and just went with MB 6.1.0 entirely. Nobodynose, I'm guessint your problem is that youre probably just running MB 6.1.0 and expecting it to overwrite MB 6.2.1... I think you have to manually delete the audio kexts that 6.2.1 installed FIRST or just do like I did and reformat and just use MB 6.1.0 from the beginning.

Unfortunately I have the same issue but the other way around.

Sometimes my audio also crashes. Then I can't hear anything. The playback suddenly stutters and then it stops. After a reboot or even a sleep it works again properly.

ALC 892

This is a different issue!!! The audio starts getting "garbled" and gives like a "lo-fi" "lo bit" sound with distortion and then eventually silences completely... It happened to me for the first time when I was listening to music really loud and I thought I had blown my speakers hahaha... But to my surprise the audio came back 100% clear after a restart or even a sleep and waking back up ( I didn't lose it after sleep because when this happened I was still using MB 6.1.0 hahaha so I didn't have ISSUE #1 yet)

I searched online and found people complaining about this problem on apple.com... (Basically non hackintoshers) It looks like its the system itself!!! I realized it happened to me shortly after upgrading to 10.9.2... So my solution was to go back to 10.9.1!!!

So in conclusion...
Issue #1 If you're losing audio after sleep... Downgrade (CORRECTLY! as in find out how to delete 6.2.1 completely) and then go back to Multibeast 6.1.0.

Issue #2 If your sound card/audio crashes very randomly WHILE you're using the computer... Sound gets garbled and distorted and then cuts out.... Downgrade from 10.9.2 to 10.9.1.

Hope this helps guys!

Same problem here with Z87X-UD3H. I did the reinstall of the 10,9,1 driver and so far it looks good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back