Graphics
RX 5500 XT
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
I have a real Apple Mac-Mini 2014 I purchased a while back. It has a 500GB HDD and I have an Intel SSD 256GB (545s) I want to use.

Not sure if I want to try a fresh install of High Sierra instead of Sierra 10.12.6 on this old thing as High Sierra seems to have poor performance issues from what I've seen.

I want to know how to clone the larger HDD to the smaller SSD. I think it is under 100GB usage on the 500GB hdd.

Is there anything I need to configure for it to use the SSD properly. i.e trim support.

Any help would be appreciated.
-=Mark=-

Moved to Mac mini forum.

Well, I've tried using restore in disk utility, but it fails. I assume it is from the SSD's smaller disk size.

Google is not cooperating very well.

Easiest way would just be to use an app like Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper!.

To enable Trim, enter the following in Terminal:
Code:
sudo trimforce enable

Easiest way would just be to use an app like Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper!.

To enable Trim, enter the following in Terminal:
Code:
sudo trimforce enable

I found a video on using CCC. I got the Sioerra version and it went too smooth. I thought something was wrong. It seemed to get stuck at 17gb out of 22GB copied. I wwas using get into for each disk to see if I could see what was going on. I could see the SSD growing in size at first, then it got stuck at 17GB. After a few minutes of waiting for it to progress, I clicked on the CCC menu and it showed a green checkmark in the side bar. But CCC was very uninformative of what was going on. I was starting to panic. lol

It seemed done, even though 5GB of data was missing. Everything seem still intact, even the "Install mac High Sierra" installer is still in the application menu. The video said to switch boot devices in System Preferences under Startup Disk.

It seems smoother running even from running on USB drive.

I waited to run the trim command after booting to USB to make sure it didn't mess with the HDD install.

Now, I get to dismantle this Mac-Mini and swap the drive.

Wish me luck. lol

-=Mark=-

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back