Contribute
Register

Ready to start first build:) Motherboard Noob questions..what's the difference?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Hack Pro
CPU
Z77x-ud5h -i3770k -16Gb
Graphics
EVGA GTX 570hd 2560mb
Mac
  1. iMac
Classic Mac
  1. iBook
  2. Power Mac
  3. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hello, future build-fellows:)

Im a total noob and this is my first build. Ive been researching here and am about to by the components but have no idea wich (Gigabyte)MB to buy, and why. Im going to follow slugnets video editor golden build as close a possible this will be a After Effects / Premiere / Final cut machine.

It will be an ATX MB, using a corsair 500r case.

Im going to use an 3770k processor, and a gtx660Ti, maybe a 670, depends on the money spent on the MB.
these are my options:

GA-Z77X-UP5 TH iZ77, SATA600, Thunderbolt,
€262

GA-Z77X-UD5H iZ77, SATA600 RAID, USB3.0
€191,90

GA-Z77X-UP4 TH iZ77, SATA600, USB3.0, TB
€176,90

GA-Z77X-UD4H iZ77, SATA600 RAID, USB3.0
€157,90

GA-Z77X-UD3H iZ77, SATA600 RAID, USB3.0
€134,90

As you can see there's a lot of price difference, and Im not a rich man.

Questions:

- I might want TB, but why should I pay €80 more for the UP5?
- other differences between UP/UDP?
- Whats the difference between RAID and non RAID mb? And why would I need it?
- Are there any other notible differencss I should be aware of? (future compatibility, overall stability..?)

I'm sorry for the noob questions, but I'm really excited to get into this...Any help would be much appreciated, as I dont know what Im doing, (yet) :)

cheers,

tdknl

Hello, future build-fellows:)

Im going to use an 3770k processor, and a gtx660Ti, maybe a 670, depends on the money spent on the MB.
these are my options:

GA-Z77X-UP5 TH iZ77, SATA600, Thunderbolt,
€262

GA-Z77X-UD5H iZ77, SATA600 RAID, USB3.0
€191,90

GA-Z77X-UP4 TH iZ77, SATA600, USB3.0, TB
€176,90

GA-Z77X-UD4H iZ77, SATA600 RAID, USB3.0
€157,90

GA-Z77X-UD3H iZ77, SATA600 RAID, USB3.0
€134,90

As you can see there's a lot of price difference, and Im not a rich man.

Questions:

- I might want TB, but why should I pay €80 more for the UP5?
- other differences between UP/UDP?
- Whats the difference between RAID and non RAID mb? And why would I need it?
- Are there any other notible differencss I should be aware of? (future compatibility, overall stability..?)

I'm sorry for the noob questions, but I'm really excited to get into this...Any help would be much appreciated, as I dont know what Im doing, (yet) :)

cheers,

tdknl

The right Motherboard is crucial for having a successful first Customac build.

Every one you've listed after the first two have some minor incompatible chipset or other issue that makes
for more of this :banghead: for a first timer. The last three listed are possible to get fully functional but not recommended.

The TH board UP5-TH will be the most "future proof" as TH bolt is just getting started.

Peripherals are expensive now but will eventually be as mainstream as USB 2.0 ones are now.

Hope that helps. Keep learning and researching !

The right Motherboard is crucial for having a successful first Customac build.

Every one you've listed after the first two have some minor incompatible chipset or other issue that makes
for more of this :banghead: for a first timer. The last three listed are possible to get fully functional but not recommended.

The TH board UP5-TH will be the most "future proof" as TH bolt is just getting started.

Peripherals are expensive now but will eventually be as mainstream as USB 2.0 ones are now.

Hope that helps. Keep learning and researching !

Thanks for the quick reply! In that case, I'll just have to decide if I want to spend the extra money on Thunderbolt or not..Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back