Contribute
Register

Ready to buy - Will this MOBO work with my build?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi there,

So this is my potential build, and i'm ready to start the process! I'm just on the fence with the MOBO still. I'm very novice to this, and would really appreciate some insight on what to get.

I was thinking that the 270 gaming 8, even though there isn't anything by way of guides for it, could work. I believe it has compatible audio and I plan on using Skylake. Could this mean that the instillation process would be similar to previous 170 gaming MOBOs? I tried to get my hands on a Designer, but couldn't find one - I want TB. My other option would be the 170 gaming GT, but the gaming 8, if applicable would be preferable for the future.

Overall, I'm a bit confused on how difficult it would be for a very green first builder to get the gaming z270x 8 up and running without any guides to follow, and if I could follow older guides for it because of its similarity in audio and the fact that i'm using Skylake.

I'm guessing the power supply is too much, but was thinking of future additions. I already own the 980ti hybrid, so a bit stuck to that as opposed to getting the 1080 now.

Thanks so much!

Here's my proposed build:

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($318.59 @ OutletPC)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i v2 70.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($117.49 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z270X-Gaming 8 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($403.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Dominator Platinum 64GB (4 x 16GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($479.99 @ Corsair)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($93.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($93.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 1TB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($324.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB HYBRID Video Card ($739.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX Glass ATX Mid Tower Case ($189.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 1000W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($134.99 @ OutletPC)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($88.58 @ OutletPC)

The audio and wifi do not look compatible. A USB audio solution and a change of wifi card should solve these two issues
http://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-Z270X-Gaming-8-rev-10#sp

I can see that this would make an interesting windows build but many of the boards features and functions will be limited to Windows for the control aspect. This board may well run macOS with some patience and some time spent fine tuning things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back