Contribute
Register

[README] Common (some unsolved) Problems in 10.12 Sierra

i have a suggestion for some intel HD4400 [10.12.2] for freezing issue in safari, confirm working Native "applebacklight.kext" on my laptop you can try it for yourself. just remove intelbacklight.kext and properly patch your DSDT & SSDT where gfx0 located. i have smooth transition and proper back-light level.

I don't think backlight is related to the Safari freeze.
Are you sure you have smooth transitions (with brightness up/down keys)?

Attach ioreg as ZIP: http://www.tonymacx86.com/audio/58368-guide-how-make-copy-ioreg.html. Please, use the IORegistryExplorer v2.1 attached to the post! DO NOT reply with an ioreg from any other version of IORegistryExplorer.app.

Attach ioreg as ZIP: http://www.tonymacx86.com/audio/58368-guide-how-make-copy-ioreg.html. Please, use the IORegistryExplorer v2.1 attached to the post! DO NOT reply with an ioreg from any other version of IORegistryExplorer.app.[/QUOTE]

yup i am pretty sure..check my ioreg.my brightness keys are in F1 & F2 i didnt patch it on DSDT.its different..i am using it right now.. also my transition is very good compare to intelbacklight.kext also my backlight color level is good. also when you click sleep there is a transition same as original mac. in intelbacklight.kext it will goes black screen very fast. here is my ioreg..
PS. sorry for my bad english..

Attachments

• Roy’s MacBook Pro.zip
    525.7 KB · Views: 80
yup i am pretty sure..check my ioreg.my brightness keys are in F1 & F2 i didnt patch it on DSDT.its different..i am using it right now.. also my transition is very good compare to intelbacklight.kext also my backlight color level is good. also when you click sleep there is a transition same as original mac. in intelbacklight.kext it will goes black screen very fast. here is my ioreg..
PS. sorry for my bad english..

Losing smooth transition on sleep is a known problem with IntelBacklight.kext.
But without IntelBacklight.kext, you will not have smooth transition with the brightness keys.

But the HD4400/HD4600 Safari hang is a different issue. Same issue on my BRIX with HD4400 and that is a desktop configuration... no IntelBacklight.kext.

Also, keep in mind that a slightly different PNLF patch is required if you're to use AppleBacklight.kext. And you need to build a custom AppleBacklightInjector.kext that is specifically for your display device.

Last edited:
I tested it here on my u430 (HD4400) and yes, it does seem to work. There are some strange delays sometimes (after sleep?) but it is still workable.

From my understanding of the patch (avoiding a forever loop around a failed IOLockTryLock), the real problem probably exists somewhere else and this fix is just masking the resulting hang (may be unstable, as the only reason an IOLockTryLock would fail consistently is if some code locked the lock somewhere, but failed to unlock it). I suspect there is a failure case somewhere or conditional specific to unsupported graphics devices that leaves the lock acquired instead of releasing (eg. case never tested with a real Mac).
I was following your discussion. What is the Shiki kext?

Here Rehabman, the proposed solution to the Safari freeze works wonders! I applied just that patch (didn't need the original Clover patch) and all videos play even when resuming from sleep. I now with the Shiki kext can watch SD iTunes DRM videos on my Envy-j series laptop.

For anyone that tries it, just make sure you don't have the original AppleInterFramebufferAzul one applied and if you disable hardware decoding, re-enable that as well.
I was wondering which solution you are talking about. Thanks

I've never used Shiki. Google can help you find things.
Thanks for your answer. But you said you "tested it here on my u430 (HD4400)". What did you test? Thanks again

Thanks for your answer. But you said you "tested it here on my u430 (HD4400)". What did you test? Thanks again

I tested the HD5000 patch. Shiki is not involved. You should read things carefully.

I have a regularly crashing system when I watch video on my Mac mini.

mb: Asrock z170m-itx/ac
pro: i3-6100
ram: 16 Gb

After a reinstall using only multibeat and rehadman's graphic glitch patch, it is a bit more stable, but still.

Programs running are usually safari/Youtube and Spotifiy ...

I have a regularly crashing system when I watch video on my Mac mini.

mb: Asrock z170m-itx/ac
pro: i3-6100
ram: 16 Gb

After a reinstall using only multibeat and rehadman's graphic glitch patch, it is a bit more stable, but still.

Programs running are usually safari/Youtube and Spotifiy ...

This thread and forum is for laptops only. Desktop questions are off-topic.

Back