Core i7-2600K
Graphics
Intel HD 3000
Mac
MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
iOS
Hmm, interesting...

That means the problem could be fixed (at least in some cases) only setting the correct ig-platform-id on integrated video laptops. But what exactly ig-platform-id stands for? What is the equivalent for desktops with dedicated graphics cards?
ig-platform-id is essentially points the graphics driver to configuration data.

Each set of graphics kexts differ in the way they deal with configuration data.

Motherboard
Asus X555LF Laptop
CPU
i5-5200U
Graphics
Nvidia 930m 2GB + Intel HD5500
Mobile Phone
Android
ig-platform-id is essentially points the graphics driver to configuration data.

Each set of graphics kexts differ in the way they deal with configuration data.
This is really interesting. Would it be possible to relate the current SMBIOS from the user setup with ig-platform-id's attempting to find the best match between these?

RehabMan

Motherboard
Intel DH67BL
CPU
Core i7-2600K
Graphics
Intel HD 3000
Mac
MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
iOS
This is really interesting. Would it be possible to relate the current SMBIOS from the user setup with ig-platform-id's attempting to find the best match between these?
ig-platform-id has nothing to do with SMBIOS.

Motherboard
Asus X555LF Laptop
CPU
i5-5200U
Graphics
Nvidia 930m 2GB + Intel HD5500
Mobile Phone
Android
ig-platform-id has nothing to do with SMBIOS.
Sure, but what I'm trying to say is that, when the user chooses to use some SMBIOS "profile", it gives information about the type of machine he is trying to "emulate", so catching these informations (machine model, for example) and using it to determine the best ig-platform-id he should use, wouldn't it be possible and a better approach than users having to patch every time their EDID?

RehabMan

Motherboard
Intel DH67BL
CPU
Core i7-2600K
Graphics
Intel HD 3000
Mac
MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
iOS
Sure, but what I'm trying to say is that, when the user chooses to use some SMBIOS "profile", it gives information about the type of machine he is trying to "emulate", so catching these informations (machine model, for example) and using it to determine the best ig-platform-id he should use, wouldn't it be possible and a better approach than users having to patch every time their EDID?
There is no way to automatically determine the "right" ig-platform-id.
The "right" one is the one that works best for the hardware at hand..
Determination is done via trial/error.

Motherboard
ASUS X455L (Clover)
CPU
i3-5005U
Graphics
HD 5500
Mac
MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
Android
I am just making sure for my wireless card (just in-case if ever my current card is not supported, I can buy one right away), is the Atheros AR956x supported in High Sierra? Or should I get a different card?

RehabMan

Motherboard
Intel DH67BL
CPU
Core i7-2600K
Graphics
Intel HD 3000
Mac
MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
iOS
Motherboard
ASUS ZenBook UX305FA (CLOVER EFI)
CPU
Core M-5Y10c
Graphics
Intel HD 5300, 1920x1080
Mobile Phone
Android
Slow boot with APFS and TRIM

The new APFS file system is much more sensitive to SSD hardware/firmware compatibility with regards to TRIM than HFS+J. Incompatibility will result in slow boot and other problems (battery status not showing, trackpad prefpane not showing, etc).

Two solutions available:
- disable the any TRIM patch you may be using (eg. no TRIM support for your SSD in that case)
- or, install on HFS+J

For installing on HFS+J, read here:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...n-high-sierra-update-or-fresh-install.232855/
My battery status works well, and i'm not sure if i have a slow boot. Do i really need to disable Trim on high sierra? i enable trim with a clover patch

Haswell (and Broadwell) lags/pauses/unresponsiveness shortly after boot (and after wake from sleep)

Shortly after login (and somewhat prior to login), the mouse and/or graphics may seem unresponsive. This usually clears up after about 20 seconds. The same effect is observed after wake from sleep.

May be related to SMBIOS changes, as similar effects were observed when using MacBookPro11,2 with previous versions of OS X/macOS. But now the problem appears also with MacBookAir6,2 and MacBookPro11,1.

The solution appears to be removing unused connectors from the ig-platform data in the framebuffer kext:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...s-in-10-12-sierra.202316/page-94#post-1485104

Note: In some cases, this is issue from 10.12 is already fixed in 10.13. YMMV.
I'm using broadwell, and i'm not sure if i have this problem. Do i still need to do a repatch for HDMI ports?

Attachments