Contribute
Register

[README] Common Problems and Workarounds on 10.14 Mojave

Common Problems/Changes/Fixes in macOS Mojave
This will be a temporary post until final release of macOS Mojave is out, where @RehabMan usually makes his sticky threads and the [README] Common Problems in 10.14 Mojave thread.
So i decided to give a bit of contribution here to help all of you there with things that i know and noticed so far that have changed as i will be personally testing all the betas, also with this i will try to land a hand to @RehabMan so all of you can read this before asking for help with any macOS Mojave issue that is known and will be listed there on how to resolve it instead of bloating the "Mojave Laptop Support" thread with similar repeated posts.
Also if someone finds something new hackintosh/patch related, i will update this post with the changes.

Special notes for Clover Bootloader

For a working macOS Mojave, Clover Bootloader r4515 or later is required in order for the installation and kexts to work.

Installing on unsupported hardware / SMBIOS

There are some ways to install macOS Mojave even in unsupported hardware/smbios, as an example for this we will take my Lenovo B570e which is a Sandy Bridge Core i5 CPU with Intel HD3000.
For this laptop i always used the MacbookPro 8.1 SMBIOS, as i read on forums, adding the -no_compat_check boot flag into your config.plist should skip compatibility check and allow the installation to proceed.

Another method that i personally used is to change my SMBIOS from "MacBookPro 8.1" to "MacBookAir 5.1" which seems to work all fine and haven't noticed it affecting something like any issue due to that change. YMMV.

Special notes on Kaby Lake UHD 620 Graphics

Injecting AAPL,GfxYTile causes problems on 10.14 beta with KabyLake-R UHD 620 graphics which is something that is built-in on all clover versions older than r4587, @RehabMan verified this issue on his (NUC7 Dawson Canyon) hardware.
If you are affected by this, you must use Clover bootloader r4587 or later as that injection has been removed from this version "r4587" and above.
You can find links to clover bootloader daily builds here which are experimental:
https://github.com/Dids/clover-builder/releases

Audio

Apple has removed a lot of Layouts from the AppleHDA.kext on macOS Mojave so a lot of you will be required to modify/patch your current AppleHDA.kext/AudioInjector in order to get audio back into a working state.
Layout IDs that Apple removed on macOS Mojave are:
Layout1,3,8,9,11,12,13,18,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,34,36,37,38,39,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50, etc
For checking the full list of removed Layouts and the ones that you can use to replace your removed one, here is a picture with the available layouts that you can use & are available on macOS Mojave:

View attachment 340600

It also seems that vit9696 added a workaround by updating his AppleALC to fix the issue affecting removed layouts.
Here is the link to the AppleALC as he seems that he has done some rebrandings on his github:
https://github.com/acidanthera/AppleALC/releases

New minStolenSize patches for Broadwell, Skylake and Kabylake

KabyLake:
Comment: Disable minStolenSize less or equal fStolenMemorySize assertion, 10.14 Credits (Sniki)
Name: com.apple.driver.AppleIntelKBLGraphicsFramebuffer
Find: 764648FF 05
Replace: EB4648FF 05

SkyLake:
Comment: Disable minStolenSize less or equal fStolenMemorySize assertion, 10.14 Credits (Sniki)
Name: com.apple.driver.AppleIntelSKLGraphicsFramebuffer
Find: 764048FF 05
Replace: EB4048FF 05

Broadwell:
Name: com.apple.driver.AppleIntelBDWGraphicsFramebuffer
Find: 764048FF 05
Replace: EB4048FF 05

New USB port limit patch

Comment: USB Port limit patch 10.14 (credits FredWst)
Name: com.apple.driver.usb.AppleUSBXHCI
Find: 83 FB 0F 0F 83 03 05 00 00
Replace: 83 FB 0F 90 90 90 90 90 90

Some WiFi cards no longer supported

Apple removed support for some older WiFi card, here is the list of them and possible workaround for each:

- Atheros AR9285 not supported anymore (workaround by using the High Sierra kexts).

(List to be updated)

Non metal capable Graphics cards not supported anymore.

Apple removed support for non metal capable Graphics so a lot of graphics won't be supported anymore.
Starting with intel they dropped supports for Sandy Bridge and below (list to be update & workarounds to be added)

Intel HD3000 Graphics

They removed support for it, there is a workaround to get QE/CI working by using kexts from macOS Sierra 10.12.x but there is a currently known issue where you get grayed out menu bar and side panel on finder (while using Light mode) but using the new Dark mode seems to be no such issues (which im sure most of you will be using it as thats one of the most exciting new features)
kexts & installation steps can be found at this post: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/success-lenovo-b570e.255129/page-2#post-1770059

List to be updated with more GPU(s) workarounds...

APFS conversion workaround

Apple has removed the options that we had to avoid APFS conversion and instead continue installation on HFS+J like:
"startosinstall" "mininstallconfig" & PlistBuddy.
Also it seems that now apfs is supported on regular harddrives and they do get converted to apfs during installation as well.

Here are some currently known alternatives:

1. Make backup with Carbon Copy Cloner (CCC) app format drive to HFS+J and restore the backup.
2. Convert the APFS partition to HFS+J with this application: https://www.paragon-software.com/home/apfs-hfs-converter/
3. Removing Harddrive/SSD and installing macOS externally with a USB to SATA cable (seems that it avoids APFS conversion).
4. Patching Installer, up to you to find this method as it's against the rules of tonymacx86

General Improvements

Continuity / HandOff / Universal Clipboard

On macOS Mojave it seems that all of these features are working way better than they did on High Sierra, for example on my AzureWave AW C-123H (BCM94352HMB) - Lenovo B570e : all of these features are working perfect like they were on a real macbook/mac with the exception of Instant hotspot.
Similar result have been shown also on DW1560 (BCM94352Z) card. YMMV.

EDID related improvements (Skylake+)

While my Kabylake R "Lenovo V330-15IKB" isn't affected by black screen after wake from sleep issue, i had the other EDID related problems on High Sierra that required to patch EDID to resolve those issue like:
- Laggy cursor and glitchy graphics when i connected an External Display
- Kernel Panic / Instant Reboot when i unplugged the HDMI cable

Fortunately these two issues have been resolved for me since the first DP Beta 1 of macOS Mojave and laptop works perfect with native EDID. YMMV.

I don't have confirmation for the Black Screen issue after wake from sleep yet, time will tell as more people test.

Audio Quality

Haven't personally tested or noticed this but i keep reading comments on different forums that the audio quality has improved on macOS Mojave, i see lot of posts with people saying that the sound in general is much better, cleaner, richer, etc.

Customization

It seems that now even the SystemLogo is dynamic & changes according to the theme (Dark/Light), this is good news for people who use their own custom logos as we can make our own Logos Dynamic as well by creating a dark model of the SystemLogo as well.

Problem Reporting

It is impossible to diagnose a problem without data that shows how your system is configured.

Also, impossible to analyze any data that you might provide without a clear understanding of your hardware. So make sure your profile is filled as per the first question in this FAQ, "Q. Where do I start?".

If you can't boot, a bare minimum is:
- Boot verbose, attach photo
- Attach EFI/Clover folder as ZIP (press F2 then F4 at main Clover screen just before collecting). Please eliminate 'themes' directory. Provide only EFI/Clover, not the entire EFI folder.

Note: Some laptops swap Fn+Fx for Fx. For those laptops, press Fn+F2 then Fn+F4. If you're not sure, press F2, then F4, then Fn+F2, then Fn+F4. You can also verify by pressing F1 (or Fn+F1) to see which one brings the menu.

If you can boot, but are having some other problem, describe the problem clearly and provide data...

Download patchmatic: https://bitbucket.org/RehabMan/os-x-maciasl-patchmatic/downloads/RehabMan-patchmatic-2015-0107.zip
Extract the 'patchmatic' binary from the ZIP. Copy it to /usr/bin, such that you have the binary at /usr/bin/patchmatic.

In terminal,
Code (Text):
Code:
if [ -d ~/Downloads/RehabMan ]; then rm -R ~/Downloads/RehabMan; fi
mkdir ~/Downloads/RehabMan
cd ~/Downloads/RehabMan
patchmatic -extract
Note: It is easier if you use copy/paste instead of typing the commands manually.

Attach contents of Downloads/RehabMan directory as ZIP.

Attach ioreg as ZIP: http://www.tonymacx86.com/audio/58368-guide-how-make-copy-ioreg.html. Please, use the IORegistryExplorer v2.1 attached to the post! DO NOT reply with an ioreg from any other version of IORegistryExplorer.app.

Provide output (in Terminal):
Code (Text):
Code:
kextstat|grep -y acpiplat
kextstat|grep -y appleintelcpu
kextstat|grep -y applelpc
kextstat|grep -y applehda
ls -l /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext/Contents/Resources/*.zml*
pmset -g assertions
pmset -g
system_profiler SPSerialATADataType|grep TRIM
Attach EFI/Clover folder as ZIP (press F2 then F4 at main Clover screen just before collecting). Please eliminate 'themes' directory. Provide only EFI/Clover, not the entire EFI folder.

Note: Some laptops swap Fn+Fx for Fx. For those laptops, press Fn+F2 then Fn+F4. If you're not sure, press F2, then F4, then Fn+F2, then Fn+F4. You can also verify by pressing F1 (or Fn+F1) to see which one brings the menu.

For 10.11 and later, attach output of (in Terminal):
Code (Text):
Code:
sudo kextcache -i /
Older versions:
Code (Text):
Code:
sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions && sudo kextcache -u /
Compress all files as ZIP. Do not use external links. Attach all files using site attachments only.

Q. Is there a script that will collect all Problem Reporting data automatically?

Yes! (almost)

User @black.dragon74 has created a script that automates most of the "Problem Reporting" tasks (as described in the previous question).

The part it cannot do is pressing F2 and F4 for you at the main Clover screen.
And of course, it only works for the case you can boot into your system. If you have a problem booting, you must obtain and collect the verbose boot photo manually (and EFI/Clover).

Full details are here:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/tool-generate-proper-problem-reporting-files.235953/

Hi @RehabMan. should we be able to install Majove on our laptops following your clover guide? iGPU coffee lake now is natively accepted or we gonna need spoof it?

Hi @RehabMan. should we be able to install Majove on our laptops following your clover guide? iGPU coffee lake now is natively accepted or we gonna need spoof it?

Too early to have all the right answers for native CFL.
There is a plist for it in the guide/plist repo.

means better to stay with High Sierra
The workaround from the first post works for me.
Intel HD3000 Graphics

They removed support for it, there is a workaround to get QE/CI working by using kexts from macOS Sierra 10.12.x but there is a currently known issue where you get grayed out menu bar and side panel on finder (while using Light mode) but using the new Dark mode seems to be no such issues (which im sure most of you will be using it as thats one of the most exciting new features)
kexts & installation steps can be found at this post: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/success-lenovo-b570e.255129/page-2#post-1770059

Bildschirmfoto 2018-09-26 um 02.22.21.png

Last edited:
By any chance/luck, has the APFS support improved for Non Apple SSDs on macOS Mojave or it still is problematic?

@RehabMan

By any chance/luck, has the APFS support improved for Non Apple SSDs on macOS Mojave or it still is problematic?

@RehabMan

There is still a long boot due to fsck when TRIM is enabled.
I just don't use a TRIM patch.

I just don't use a TRIM patch.
But, isn’t trim enabled by default on APFS?

Hmm.. So you using APFS on your developer machine is my green signal to transition over to APFS. :D

Regards

But, isn’t trim enabled by default on APFS?

You're confusing automatic TRIM on NVMe with APFS.
The file system APFS/HFS+J does not enforce TRIM.
TRIM is disabled by default for non-Apple SATA (and even PCIe/AHCI) SSDs, but enabled always for NVMe SSDs (file system does not play a role).
So, we can avoid TRIM quite easily with SATA/AHCI devices, but not with NVMe (until someone makes a patch).

Hmm.. So you using APFS on your developer machine is my green signal to transition over to APFS. :D

I figure Apple has had a couple of years to get the bugs out of APFS, so why not give it a try.
I keep regular backups.

I updated last night. I have gtx 1070 and got the web driver message. The display is fine on the laptop; but it will not display to my connected 27 inch cinema display. Can i just use kext instead of the web drivers? The display uses mini display port. I am using smbios imac late 2013. thanks

Back