Contribute
Register

[READ ME FIRST!] Graphics Setup & Troubleshooting

I recently upgraded my motherboard and chip in hopes that Intel UHD 630 would drive my 4K monitor, an HP Z27. But no luck; I'm stuck with low res and no video acceleration. Loading Whatevergreen using MultiBeat 10.4 didn't help.
This seems to be a common problem, but I don't know how to change device IDs or anything else in Clover or Gigabyte's BIOS. Clover Configurator confuses me. Is there an "idiots" guide to lighting up my new GA Z370P D3 / i3 8100 combination? Most of the posts seem to be older and not necessarily apply to Mojave builds.

View attachment 363784

What version of Whatevergreen, Mac OS, and Lilu are you using? For me, using whatever green 1.23 and 1.24, Lilu 1.27, with MacOS 10.13 and 10.13.6) I was able to get one monitor consistently working with video accelration at 1080p. I used SMBIOS 18.1.

Also, I had to make sure I Injected Intel in order for my display to be properly recognized.

Last edited by a moderator:
I’m running MacOS 10.14 and the WhateverGreen version that loads from Multibeast 10.4 (the latest version). Clover appears to be injecting Intel but I don’t know how to make sure.
Edit: From MB 10.4 documentation; “- Drivers → Misc → Core Graphics Fixup AKA WhatEverGreen installs WhatEverGreen v1.2.0 with LiLu v1.2.5”

Last edited:
If you have a OOB supported graphics card, OS X will boot with full acceleration. Done!

@Fl0r!an ,
I have a Radeon Vega 64 (liquid cooled). My understanding is Whatevergreen is supposed to fix any issues aside from having AMD kexts fully supported now in 10.14.1, correct? I'm a little confused because I am getting boot to black.

All known workarounds involve preventing the Radeon GPU from getting initialized during boot phase, e.g. by configuring iGPU=Primary.

I get boot to black, but only when I'm first booting from an OFF state. When restarting from the desktop, I am able to see BIOS and clover bootloader screen. I believe setting IGPU as primary in the BIOS will not use the graphics card for Final Cut Pro.

Also, after using the GFX0 to IGPU patch in Clover, I'm still getting GFX0 showing up in IORegistry. Is this a problem?

Last edited:
Hi all, it's not worth going down the official trouble-shooting files/post path because I'll be getting an rx 570 card in a few days, but in case anyone has some advice, here's my issue: was using 1060, but decided to jump to mojave with UHD630 iGPU. Using latest WhateverGreen and Lilu kexts, latest mojave, wanna say clover 2722 (which is to say I'm back a few releases but pretty up to date). System in sig. 1060 is still in the box but init display is iGPU, I believe 128MB pre-alloc in BIOS.

issue 1: with 2 monitors connected, the DVI monitor doesn't come up cleanly on boot, I have to unplug and replug at login screen

issue 2: monitors don't come back up after sleep.

More detail:
issue 1: I have an HDMI 4k monitor and a DVI 1080p monitor. On boot, both monitors display BIOS, clover, and the initial loading bar, then the DVI monitor turns off, the HDMI monitor gets a highly noisy screen for a second then the login screen comes up (DVI monitor apparently gets the actual inputs, HDMI just shows the background). I replug the DVI, and everything is fine after that.

issue 2: sleep takes forever, like 2 minutes. waking the system after that briefly sends a signal to the monitors, but no actual video (status light changes from no signal to "have signal"), and after a few seconds, the monitors stop getting a signal. Hard reboot required. Haven't tested if the system is ssh-able.

What I've tried:
I've tried framebuffer edits. I do not have any graphics settings enabled/injected in clover. Kexts are pretty standard, fakesmc, ethernet, codeccommander, lilu, whatevergreen, realtekalc. I set device property with framebuffer edits using intel fb-patcher. I did customize a USB acpi patch and I have plugin-type set for cpu power management. I created display override plists for each monitor (which involved dumping the edid, patching byte 20 (80 -> B5), fixing the checksum, and setting DisplayVendorId and DisplayProductId, fixing permissions, removing @ attributes, chowning). I see that Display properties shows my custom display overide DisplayProductName but IOReg has the old EDID (80 instead of B5). IOReg does recognize my connector type edit for the DVI port.

Thanks for any advice. Sorry for the long post.

2. AMD Radeon Graphics Cards

Basic Setup
AMD Radeon drivers are always included in OS X. You'll always find the most recent drivers in the latest OS X release, there's no other official place to download them. You might come across some patched or backported Kexts, but we'd advice against using them for stability reasons.
If you've ever installed on of those kexts, restore the original OS X drivers by reinstalling the latest Combo Update.

To get started, boot up without any graphics related settings in your config file:
Clover: InjectAti=False (FBName/VideoPorts unnecessary)
Chimera/Chameleon: GraphicsEnabler=No (AtiConfig/AtiPorts unnecessary)

If you have a OOB supported graphics card, OS X will boot with full acceleration. Done!

This 'straightforward' approach doesn't work for me.:banghead:

I recently purchased the Sapphire Pulse RX580, hoping to be able to change my NVidia GFX 950 and get a boot to Mojave from the High Sierra 10.13.6 OS I have running now. It's been a nightmare. I can't boot anything, USB Installer, the working OS SSD, nothing. It just freezes.

I have posted here, post 2588,
Radeon Compatibility Guide - ATI/AMD Graphics Cards

discussing the problem I'm seeing. No advice yet helps. It must be some simple Clover setting as this freeze occurs as kexts are being loaded.

Any help here?

Dear hackintosh experts,
I am unsure when this occured, but I am pretty sure it was after the latest high sierra update.
Prior to that, my GTX 1060 was working smoothly with nvidia web drivers and acceleration enabled.
But now, it's not. I can still access my mac through screen sharing, and I discover that my screen is recognized as "built-in display" but obviously, my screen stays black.
Via screen sharing I can see that the GPU is correctly recognized, the Nvidia web drivers are enabled, and that acceleration is clearly functional (Chrome is not blinking).
Could you help me find a way to fix this? I have tried reverting to a clone of my hdd when it was working, but I still have the issue. I reverted to numerous backup version of config.plist as well as clover EFI and kexts with no luck. Tried to install lulu and whatevergreen but didn't make any improvement.
Kinda desperate here... hence my post. What would you need from me to help me out?
Best

This 'straightforward' approach doesn't work for me.:banghead:

I recently purchased the Sapphire Pulse RX580, hoping to be able to change my NVidia GFX 950 and get a boot to Mojave from the High Sierra 10.13.6 OS I have running now. It's been a nightmare. I can't boot anything, USB Installer, the working OS SSD, nothing. It just freezes.

I have posted here, post 2588,
Radeon Compatibility Guide - ATI/AMD Graphics Cards

discussing the problem I'm seeing. No advice yet helps. It must be some simple Clover setting as this freeze occurs as kexts are being loaded.

Any help here?
Yea, this never worked for me either. My issue is wake after sleep. All the usual fixes don’t really work. For "OOB" my RX570 has been nothing but a hassle.

You might want to try RadeonDeinit=YES and use darkwake=2 or 10. I'm not entirely sure which one will work or why (despite having read the explanation here https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...-break-auto-sleep-in-10-8-1.69714/post-447117)

EDIT 02-22-19
I think I have finally figured it out. darkwake=8 works for my set-up. Have been able to wake from sleep several times. Screen comes on almost immediately after a single key press.

Last edited:
I'm using a Monitor with only one VGA port and my motherboard has also one VGA port for the Display but I am using onboard integrated Haswell Intel HD 4400 graphics . I was unable to enable graphics acceleration on my Hackintosh Mojave at all .Please help me and show me a way to enable graphics.

I'm using a Monitor with only one VGA port and my motherboard has also one VGA port for the Display
Apple have not used VGA in their products for more than ten years so unsurprisingly they do not include support for it in their operating system(s).

Apple have not used VGA in their products for more than ten years so unsurprisingly they do not include support for it in their operating system(s).
So is there any unofficial way to manually enable graphics for my VGA display.

Last edited:
Back