Contribute
Register

Read if you are having problems with graphics and getting Mountain Lion Installed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Still no joy!! :(
Started completly from scratch but no go. Have tried all manner of flags, PCIRootUID=0, grahicsenabler=no, etc, etc to no avail.
The card is detected correctly, and it loads default config of Gibba and 5 ports which is right, so I don't know.
And now it's 1.30am so I'm going to bed.

Problem for tomorrow. :)

Still no joy!! :(
Started completly from scratch but no go. Have tried all manner of flags, PCIRootUID=0, grahicsenabler=no, etc, etc to no avail.
The card is detected correctly, and it loads default config of Gibba and 5 ports which is right, so I don't know.
And now it's 1.30am so I'm going to bed.

Problem for tomorrow. :)

Not sure on 4xxx cards.

Not sure on 4xxx cards.

Not to worry!

I have spent the day reading through the 6970/6950 forum thread over at netkas.
Turns out that the white screen stall is the standard for these 2 cards.

It can be got around by using a helper card or onboard GPU and some modified kexts from netkas, but will not run OOB with current Lion/M-Lion drivers. Which really sucks because I probably paid too much for the damn thing and now I'm gonna need to sell it and get an Nvidia card that will work. "Sigh"

Gonna go back to Lion and my trusty old HD4850, that thing has never let me down.

DVDplayer app by Apple is no longer supported. You will notice if you do a fresh install like I did on my MacBook Pro it is not there.
It only carried over due to the fact you had it installed in Lion which probably carried over from SL

I am sure Apple disabled it in ML

Are you sure of this? I just did a clean ML install on one of my builds, and the DVD player was all present and correct.

Esity,
Do you have to enable onboard graphics in BIOS first before shutting down and removing the card?

Esity,
Do you have to enable onboard graphics in BIOS first before shutting down and removing the card?

I never touched that from the beginning so I assume it was enabled otherwise if it is disabled you will have no graphics

Are you sure of this? I just did a clean ML install on one of my builds, and the DVD player was all present and correct.

DVD Player is part of a clean ML install. They have not done away with it. Not sure where that rumour came from . :crazy: Just have to copy over 2 ahci related kexts from Lion to make it work. IOAHCIFamily.kext & AppleAHCIPort.kext

@ esity. Apple DVD player is still there in 10.8 ML on a clean install.

It's easy to see where folks might assume the DVD Player is no longer part of the install if for no discernible reason it doesn't install.

This goes back to the first release of OS X in G4 / G5 days where it was only possible to get Apple DVD Player support on a DVD drive with official Apple firmware. You could get 3rd party 'superdrive' DVD Player support using a small software hack to report the DVD drive as having an Apple Vendor / Dev ID to DVD Player App. Lots of folks upgrading from CD writer to DVD had to manually install the DVD Player by extracting it from the installer.pkg. Right from the beginning with OS X 10.0 the installer didn't give you an error if it thought there was no DVD drive present (Macs were still shipping with CD writers back then). If you then did a full fresh re-install of OS X with the 3rd party optical drive the OS installer would skip the Apple DVD player as it would see no Apple DVD drive present.

If your fresh install of ML results in no Apple DVD Player or if your existing install cannot run Apple DVD Player due to 'no compatible DVD drive' error you should check your Bios settings for EFI/No EFI on the optical drive and/or make the optical drive the 1st boot option. Could be down to Legacy BIOS vs UEFI settings (if you have upgraded to UEFI). I had exactly the same 'no compatible DVD' result on GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 board with both Lion and ML builds after upgrading to UEFI bios that went away after I changed BIOS boot settings.

Given DVD is aged and Apple offer no native BD support it's all academic but you should check out whats causing the DVD not to be seen as it could affect burn support.

I finally got it to work using this method.

I took out my Radeon HD 6870 but was not able to either install ML or boot ML without GraphicsEnabler=No. The ATI6000Controller.kext on my Unibeast USB drive was not installed properly because I had removed it initially in my first attempt to troubleshoot the problem and restored it simply by copying it back onto the USB drive, which probably was not a good idea. I wonder if this had something to do with the fact that I had to use GraphicsEnabler=No?

I put the Radeon back in, but I was initially only able to boot into ML using -x safe mode. I had to delete OemSMBIOS.kext. I take it that 10.8.2 specifically has a problem with this file.

I initially was getting an "Installation Failed" message in MultiBeast due to the fact that I was doing a upgrade and not a clean install. I had to delete a bunch of conflicting kexts to get Multibeast to work.

I still wasn't able to boot without GraphicsEnabler=No. The solution was to reinstall ATI6000Controller.kext using KextBeast.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back